PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of Trimwork

Tom Godley
12-26-2008, 2:47 PM
I am going to trim out a new addition I had built as well as upgrade the trim in two other rooms that connect to it. In another post regarding miter saws Larry Edgerton posted a picture of his beautiful work.

I was wondering if other proud woodworkers had some additional ideas??

Photos??

I am going to add some ceiling trim and crown on one room -- and do a mock panel treatment in the new room. Not sure on the room I need to "upgrade"

Neal Clayton
12-26-2008, 3:43 PM
depends on the trim in the rest of your house. if you replace two rooms with something 'better' than what you have in the rest, you'll wind up replacing it all, unless you're half blind and with no wife.

Jim Becker
12-26-2008, 10:13 PM
Tom, perhaps you might like to take a look at the double bead trim in our addition again. It's a very classic look that fits in well with architecture in this area. Let me know via email if you want to stop by sometime.

Tom Godley
12-26-2008, 10:24 PM
I do not wish to change the "style" of the trim. The house currently has very nice Traditional to Federal style trim - very typical to the Philadelphia area.

This style has away had some rooms where the trim work was a little more elaborate.

As I noted in my comment, the picture included in the other post shows a very nice room transition. Not sure I would have thought it would work with an arched ceiling - but seeing is believing!

Tom Godley
12-26-2008, 10:33 PM
Thanks Jim.

I think I have too many projects going on! My head is spinning

I am going to try to get my almost never used nailers out this weekend and do some practicing to see if the 16 gauge is going to be too large for some of the trim that I bought for some initial mock ups!

I also need to persuade you to come over to see and advise on the studio....
another project falling behind :(

Rob Cunningham
12-27-2008, 8:51 AM
Tom,
If you are still trying to decide on molding styles, Tague Lumber has an on line catalog with many pages of trim. You can also request a free hard copy that they will mail to you. I found it nice to have the catalog in hand rather than flipping back and forth on the computer. They have a lot of stuff that you won't find at HD or Lowes and their prices are reasonable.
http://www.taguelumber.com/tague/

Tom Godley
12-27-2008, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the link -- I have purchased from them in the past. They have a very good window department. But I had not look at their web site.

I was looking for some pictures of what some on the forum had done. I mentioned that Larry Edgerton posted a picture of some work of his in the recent thread about CMS -- It has already changed my mind on what I want to to with a particular large doorway in my house!

Those that do a lot of trim/case work have much better ideas than someone like me who only has other houses or older projects to go by.

It is nice to see contemporary projects using currently available products.

Sonny Edmonds
12-27-2008, 12:29 PM
Custom moldings are us! I love to make my own moldings!
You can't always buy just what you want or need. So I make my own.
I especially like to make my own trim moldings for projects out of the same wood as the main project.
But for painted trim, I prefer materials like MDF, were I can run off my own desired widths, and additional trim shapes when/if desired.
Necessity was the Mother of invention when faced with column covers and a fireplace stovepipe the tear-off crew for the roof tried to pry through the roof. Can you say "El Stupidio! :mad:
She couldn't find what she liked from samples from the store. So I suggested I make the moldings.
"Could you? I'd Love it if you made the moldings!" she purred.
Talk about shooting yourself in the foot! :rolleyes: But I persevered and won.
I always win, sooner or later.
You wanted pictures....
The old house we remodeled: (Before priming and painting)

http://home.earthlink.net/~pie/images/Moldings/colume1.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~pie/images/Moldings/colume2.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~pie/images/Moldings/colume3.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~pie/images/Moldings/moldingfp1.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~pie/images/Moldings/moldingfp2.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~pie/images/Moldings/skylight1.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~pie/images/Moldings/skylight2.jpg
__________________________________________________ _____________

And some baseboard in the new home: (Primed and installed)

http://home.earthlink.net/~pie/images/Moldings/moldings%20002.jpg

This is two pieces. The main one, then the rounded floor finish piece. Then the 22.5 degree corners give it a nice step around.
It takes four different bits to produce the main pattern. All of the blanks are all treated the same at each step of the batch operation, whether ripping to rough or final width, or running a part of the pattern. All must be done together as a batch.
The bottom trim is a simple round over and rip operation. That way I can get the most from a sheet of MDF.
A feeder is paramount to successfully making your own moldings. You need that consistency in the operations.
I keep a piece of different patterns I make for future setting up. I note the bits used on the back of the sample.
With an adjustable fence, and a good router lift, and of course a feeder, it makes it fun to run these off.
The beading operations are done with the TS and a molding head.

Jim Becker
12-27-2008, 3:43 PM
I also need to persuade you to come over to see and advise on the studio....
another project falling behind

I will be "around" for most of the coming week; working M-W, but not tied down. Next Friday might even be better for a visit. I'd love to see the new place and can't believe I haven't been there yet, considering it's probably right around the corner from the stable that we spend "a lot", err...of time...at...;)

Rick Lucrezi
12-27-2008, 3:52 PM
Sonny, very nice work around the bullnose. You strike me as a guy who would be fun to work with.

Sonny Edmonds
12-27-2008, 4:17 PM
Sonny, very nice work around the bullnose. You strike me as a guy who would be fun to work with.

Long as you've got a good sense of humour and your sides won't split.
Cause if you kant have fun, it ain't worth goin. :D
Thanks, Rick. ;)

Rick Lucrezi
12-27-2008, 4:31 PM
Long as you've got a good sense of humour and your sides won't split.
Cause if you kant have fun, it ain't worth goin. :D
Thanks, Rick. ;)

Last few years, I actually enjoy lacing up my boots in the morning. Going to work has been alot of fun. When that stops, time to move on to something else.

Larry Edgerton
12-27-2008, 5:28 PM
Tom, and I know I will get grief about this, but the key to any trim job/furniture/home is the understanding of "Phi" or the Golden Ratio if you will. You can find a book at the library, or even a book store to explain its significance.

You build a list of numbers using this key ratio and pick your parts out of that list of numbers, and magically, you have balance. Not all of the numbers need to be used but all of the parts need to be one of the numbers.

There is always a given number in a project that can not change. It may be ceiling height, a prominent feature, a window or collection of windows, or any other number of unchangable details. Pick one of these, be it height or width, or do each seperately. Start your list with the given, and multiply by .618. Then that number by .618, and that number by .618 until you have gotten to a fraction less than 1/4". If you need to build larger than your base number divide by .618 until you have reached a number that suits your purpose.

You can use these numbers for height, depth, and width as well as details, but sometimes you may have to hit a specific width,etc. not on the first list, such as when the case is captivated by walls. In that case do another list with this given number, and use it on that plane. For example decide the width of your styles by the width list, and the size of you rails by your height list.

Even the size of small details like beading, and roundover radius'es are determined in this way. It seems like a pain in the butt, but it is actually much faster as you don't have to agonize over the exact size a part should be. It still does take some sense of balance to pick the right numbers, but generally these numbers are known [close proximity]from things we see around us
In the case of your room, lets just say it has a window that is the prominant feature. It is 7' 6 1/4" tall. I don't have a construction calculator right here, I usually do it in fractions, but for our purposes we will call it 90.25 inches.
x.618= 55.77 inches
x.618= 34.46 inches
x.618= 21.30 inches
x.618= 13.16 inches
x.618= 8.13 inches
x.618= 5.28 inches
x.618= 3.10 inches
x.618= 1.92 inches
x.618= 1.18 inches
x.618= .73 inches
x.618= .45 inches
x.618= .28 inches

Now you will notice that any two consecutive numbers add up to the next larger number, no matter how far you run this out, to infinity if you wish if you use all the decimal points.

So... say you want a tall baseboard. You can choose from the 5.28 or the 8.13, and if a large room with enough ceiling you could choose the 13.16 if the room can pull it off. Some of these decisions require some sense of proportion.

You could make the baseboard out of two parts, say 5.28" + 3.10" for the 8"size. You may want a .45 bead on the top and so forth.

If you make the baseboard a 8.13 total, then the 5.28 number will be perfect for the side trim, and so on.

Have I lost you? :) if you are interested in this way of looking at things you have to be prepared to make your own parts, as storebought seldom fit the list. Any compromise will screw up the whole so be faithfull to the list unless you have no options.

This theory of proportion was discovered by the Greeks, and used to build the Parthenon, and most other works. It is found in many of the things that we consider beautiful in nature from oak leaves to our own bodys. I really recommend you pick up the book, it is very interesting indeed.

Larry

William OConnell
12-27-2008, 6:50 PM
Heres some stuff I did and I guess, what I like as far as mouldings go.I actually started making dentil moulding in house and you can see the sugar pine and paint grade I did with it.
Also making your own fluted pilasters can be fun. Check out the maple room I was happy with that work. Replacing the back door with a a huge slider worked well in that room and so did the crown above the doors and windows.
If uou go to the Bennet kitchen folder I did some plinth blocks at the bottoms of the windows and doors you might like.
http://www.indianisland.us/Gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=29