PDA

View Full Version : Layoffs coming again

Scott Coffelt
06-17-2004, 11:09 AM
Well, I have been through several, got hit by one in 2001 and made it through the last one in 2003. This time it may hurt again, I am about sick of this junk. In the grand scheme of things it will be small, but the majority of the cuts will impact the jobs in my area. Dealing with it is fine, its the damn anticipation that kills. Anyways, looking for some prayers on my continuous employment. BTW, stopped looking for land, no way I am taking on anymore debt with this crap going on every 6 months.

Brooke Phillips
06-17-2004, 12:00 PM
I understand your decision not to purchase any land. I am currently experience the 'cut-back' unemployment and it isn't any fun. (Though I can spend more time in the shop, but most of my time is spent looking for a job.) My prayers are with you.

Dennis Peacock
06-17-2004, 12:11 PM
Scott,

My prayers and wishes are with you my friend. I know what you are saying as I hear that we are going through another round of layoffs this coming November. I sincerely belive that everyone wants America to economically recover.....just not corporate America. The "big dawgs" are out to stuff their pockets and dump on all those that acutally make what the company is all about. Sheesh!!!!!

James Carmichael
06-17-2004, 12:14 PM
Well, I have been through several, got hit by one in 2001 and made it through the last one in 2003. This time it may hurt again, I am about sick of this junk. In the grand scheme of things it will be small, but the majority of the cuts will impact the jobs in my area. Dealing with it is fine, its the damn anticipation that kills. Anyways, looking for some prayers on my continuous employment. BTW, stopped looking for land, no way I am taking on anymore debt with this crap going on every 6 months.

Good luck guy, I can sympathize. I've dodged that bullet a number of times, but I can't help but think one's going to have my name on it one of these days.

My mother & father both retired after 20+ years with the same employers. No such thing these days.

Steven Wilson
06-17-2004, 12:26 PM
I feel your pain. Our firm has a zero bench policy and most BPA arraingements are 3 months; that means I'm constantly looking for a new gig every 3 months or so. Ah well, that's life

Scott Coffelt
06-17-2004, 12:27 PM
I hear ya, my dad retired with 33+ years at the same company. My mom was let go twice but managed to get in 10 years. I have about 17 years in with this place.

Out CEO maade $17+ Million last year, those at the top really don't give a crude about those that do the work. This is not the same place it was about 10 years ago. When I started, I had high hopes of staying with them until I retired 40 years later, seriously doubt they will be around that long anyways.

Oh well, I do know what to expect this time around since I did it once. It sucks and is stressful, but theres always a reason for it. Maybe its a sign that keeps smacking me in the face, but too blind to see it. "STAY AWAY FROM CORPORATE LIFE!" :rolleyes:

Oh well, not that I want to make light of what those who protect and serve us, for which I am damn proud of them, but it reminds me of the civil war and the Generals just keep lining us up to be picked off, eventually they have enough men to outlast the other side or run off and hide, until another battle comes along. But in the end, its the ones up front who suffer the most. I can see the whites of their eyes.....

Frank Pellow
06-17-2004, 1:11 PM
Good luck. I am now retired so don't need to worry about layoffs but, in my career, I was laid off twice and my employer went out of business once. It's hard.

We did own land and, in the end, our investment in land did pay off well. The land was 5 empty lots on Lake Huron and we held on to it for almost 40 years; selling it last year just after my retirement. I am convinced that land ownership is a way of protecting oneself from the shady dealings of corporations and governments.

nic obie
06-17-2004, 1:47 PM
I am convinced that land ownership is a way of protecting oneself from the shady dealings of corporations and governments.

I'll second that. Real estate has been very good to me.

It's called REAL estate for a reason.

Rich Konopka
06-17-2004, 5:18 PM
Scott:

You become numb from it after a while. My company is one of the worst in Tech land and the CEO is one of the richest men in the world. And my company makes Billions in profits. I have seen so many of my friends get RIF'd ( Reduction In Force). The only thing you can do is watch the politics, keep your head down, and work hard.

Make a plan and save up some money for the worse. I have short term cash and securities which will last for a couple of months and a home equity line I can draw on if needed. My wife does not work and it is scary just thinking of the consequences of no insurance or paying COBRA.

Hang in there!!

Chris Padilla
06-17-2004, 5:30 PM
I've only gone through 1 official layoff but workforce continues to get cut around here almost as fast as the aquire it (through an aquisition, for example). Both the LOML and I work here so we kinda have our eggs in one basket. So far so good but it is definately an uncomfortable environment to try an work under...just awful.

On the other hand, IF they are handing out decent packages (like my firm did), it could be a blessing in disguise to go do something else or work for yourself.

Best of luck and keep your head up no matter what.

John Olson
06-17-2004, 5:55 PM
add my prayers I have been there and done that.

Joseph Ezerskis
06-17-2004, 6:01 PM
Scott,
The boss came by this afternoon and said there was a all-hands meeting set Friday morning. Doesn't sound good. We're a subcontractor to THE biggest defense aerospace company on a gov't site and we've been having RIF's evey 2 years now. We went from 24 people down to 7. The wait is nerve wrenching. With such regularity, you can't plan anything. And I took up WW for relaxation! I've been at this place 18 years, but I look like it's been 25. Look, I'll say some prayers for you tonite, if you do the same for me. I don't care what religion, what language. I'm sure He'll hear.
PS Didn't you hear? The Prez says the economy is recovering! Just look how well the oil sector is doing for proof! It's all trickle down economics to me. When you're little, they all trickle down on you.
Joe

Rich Konopka
06-17-2004, 6:24 PM
Scott,
PS Didn't you hear? The Prez says the economy is recovering! Just look how well the oil sector is doing for proof! It's all trickle down economics to me. When you're little, they all trickle down on you.
Joe
Joe,
Now you did it !! You introduced Politics :D I agree with you 100%. I definitely can say I'm not better off than I was 4 years ago. John McCain For President !!! :rolleyes: This should draw some comments....

David Klink
06-17-2004, 11:30 PM
Good luck partner. I worked QC in a plant that had seasonal layoffs, and it was a nuisance. It was different every year. One year it was September, another December, October, whenever. They always started up again in late January or February, but we never knew for sure when. It was a nuisance because we could get unemployment if we wanted, but without a defined time to return to work we had to go through the job search and everything even though we knew we would be returning to work.

It's not easy, but hang in there.

Bart Sharp
06-18-2004, 10:27 AM

Good luck Scott, that's a rough position to be in. I hired on at my company right out of college six years ago. Within six months, there was a management shakeup and the cuts started coming. Over four years our group was reduced from 36 people to 7. Every time the boss would start calling people into the office we would all break out in a cold sweat. I think the only things that saved me was that I was cheap and flexible. A few months ago they announced that this facility will be shut down and all the work moved to Texas. So, it's either pick up and move halfway across the country to stay with them, or figure something else out. I think we're going to cope by going back to school, getting out of engineering/manufacturing/aerospace.

Hang in there, I'm sure things will work out for the best.

Dave Rizzolo
06-18-2004, 11:19 AM
Scott I think I may be on the same ship as you. Do you work for NT?

Tom Sweeney
06-18-2004, 1:44 PM
I feel your pain- I was laid off as of Jan 1. I have a side business to fall back on but it's been tough going trying to move it from a side business to my primary income generator. I hope that things work out for the best for you & will keep you, & others in the same situation, in my prayers.

BTW - I refer the political posters to the SMC TOS:
>>1. Religion and Politics
All members shall abstain from engaging in religious or political debate.<<<

I like a good political debate myself - but there is good reason for them not being allowed here.

Gary Whitt
06-21-2004, 3:03 PM
"Anyways, looking for some prayers on my continuous employment. BTW, stopped looking for land, no way I am taking on anymore debt with this crap going on every 6 months."
"Out CEO maade $17+ Million last year, those at the top really don't give a crude about those that do the work. This is not the same place it was about 10 years ago. When I started, I had high hopes of staying with them until I retired 40 years later, seriously doubt they will be around that long anyways."

My prayers are with you for continued employment.

However, in your post, there are some things to note:
** If your company has these "problems" every six months, I would seriously consider finding other employment anyway. Maybe you could take some night training classes to prepare for other lines of work.
** It shouldn't matter to you how much the CEO makes; you can't do anything about it. It sounds as if a labor union has brainwashed you into thinking you should have that $17mil., and not the CEO. This is not a "distribution of wealth" country yet. Every individual is still able to make as much or as little money as his abilities and drive will allow him/her. Those at the top DO care about your work or else they would not be making that kind of money.

Good luck on whatever road you travel and my prayers are with you.

Dennis Peacock
06-22-2004, 10:34 AM
OK Folks.....I am closing this thread later today. Our TOS does not allow politics here or in any other section/forum on SMC.