PDA

View Full Version : Holding bolts in place

Ray Schafer
12-26-2008, 1:58 PM
I read about a product a few weeks ago and can't remember what it is. It is designed for putting it on nuts and bolts to hold them in place, but it is not permanent. I thought that it was in the Liquid Wrench line of products, but I don't find it on their website.

I think that it looked like that rubber/plastic dip that you can use for coating tool handles.

Anyone know what it is?

Barry Vabeach
12-26-2008, 2:05 PM
Loctite has a medium strenght product that is blue and resists vibration, but can you can still remove the bolt with hand tools. The red is high strength and is permanent, IIRC unless heated to 400 degrees

Ray Schafer
12-26-2008, 2:21 PM
Yeah ... Loctite! That was it! Thanks.

CPeter James
12-26-2008, 4:30 PM
Any auto supply place will haveit.

CPeter

harry strasil
12-26-2008, 5:16 PM
nail polish works too, add after the nut is tight, look inside CB's and other electronic stuff.

Joe Chritz
12-26-2008, 5:28 PM
When they say the red stuff is permanent they really mean it. You can break a lot of stuff before that bond without heat.

If I knew I was going to take it off more than once I would use nail polish (as suggested above) or use a lock washer or nut.

Joe

Paul Demetropoulos
12-26-2008, 8:44 PM
They package the "Blue" Loctite in a red tube, just to make things clear I guess. You can get both blue and red threadlocker at the HD as well.

Andrew Joiner
12-26-2008, 9:23 PM
Super glue works. It passes the 24 hour water soak test too. It's about as easy as blue Loctite to remove.

Eric Brown
12-26-2008, 11:59 PM
You might try a nut with a nylon insert (Nylock). It's re-usable many times without the mess or drying times of liquids. One source is McMaster-Carr.

Eric

Jeff Hallam
12-27-2008, 8:09 AM
If you're in a bind and isn't a critical bolt just put a blob of silicone around the nut, it will keep it from backing off due to vibration. Did this on my 20 year old snowblower and it has worked like a charm.