PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Gift: Bookshelf/TV Stand

Anthony Watson
12-26-2008, 1:09 PM
I bought my daughter a new LCD TV for Christmas, so I decided to build her a new bookshelf/TV stand to set it on. I would have preferred drawers to hold her CD's and movies, but I was already way over budget and the price of the drawer glides alone would have made this impossible. In addition, she could be moving out on her own in a couple of years, so I thought the shelves might give her a little more flexibility if her needs change in the future.

The cabinet is approximately 70" long, 42" high, and 16" deep. It's built entirely of birch plywood and poplar face/door frames.

I'm not sure why, but the poplar stained really blotchy this time. I've stained poplar many times by applying preconditioner before staining, but it didn't help this time. I usually buy my poplar from the home centers, but this time bought the lumber from a local wood supply. All I can think is it was a different kind of poplar or the moisture content was higher or something. I'm really disappointed with the finish, but my wife thought it looked great ("really shows the woodgrain" was her comment. :) ).

In any case, it seems to work well for the purpose, and my daughter was happy with it. So, I guess that's what really matters.

John Thompson
12-26-2008, 4:47 PM
Looks nice Anthony... From the raw picture, the poplar looks pretty clear. My supplier seems to be getting quite a bit of greenish... purple dominated lately from thier Kentucky source. The stain looks fine as poplar is a pain to apply stain to as I used it quite a bit in my early days which was years ago.

Sarge..

Joe Chritz
12-26-2008, 5:36 PM
Very nice.

The customer is always right. Looks like she has a decent collection going on there.

Joe

Anthony Watson
12-28-2008, 1:01 PM
John,

The poplar I bought did have a lot of really dark green areas, much darker than I've seen before. Thankfully, I was able to cut around the worst of it and make use of the rest.

I've always heard people comment on how bad poplar was for staining, but till now I've never had any problems. I always used preconditioner, then stain. My office desk and living room entertainment center were both built with poplar and the exact same stain, and they look fine. Not sure what was different this time around.

Anthony

Jim Becker
12-28-2008, 2:18 PM
Nice work. I need to build something like this for here...there are a gazzillion DVDs that need a home! LOL

Matt Crew
12-28-2008, 4:25 PM
As the craftsman you will see flaws others can't or don't know are flaws.
The woodwork on the t/v stand looks great. I can not comment on the staining, I've not worked with poplure, but finishing is not my strong point anyway.