PDA

View Full Version : I scream, you scream, we all scream, for Ice Cream

Frank Townend
12-26-2008, 12:54 PM
Finally getting around to finishing some of my 'presents' for Christmas.

These are Rockler Ice Cream Scoop Kits (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21265&)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3103/3138934810_7670d5b4b7_b.jpg

From Left to Right: Myrtle / Birdseye Maple / Kingwood / Birdseye Maple / Kingwood / Birdseye Maple / Black & White Ebony

Chris Haas
12-26-2008, 1:24 PM
sweet, is that a lacquere finish? i really like the myrtle and birds eye ones.

Frank Townend
12-26-2008, 1:49 PM
Thank you Chris. The Myrtle surprised me. We had an auction at our Turner's Club and I bought several 1 1/2" X 1 1/2" X 12" twisted up "hunks" of donated Myrle. It turned and polished up nicely. No lacquer; I cut them with a sharp skew, sanded with 220 grit and used the Beal buffing system. Just a touch of Renaissance Wax (http://www.restorationproduct.com/renwaxinfo.html) at the end.

Steve Schlumpf
12-26-2008, 2:23 PM
Very nice work Frank! Nice forms and beautiful wood! What is your opinion of the Rockler kits? Was wondering if they could be used on really frozen ice cream or if they were to light weight to handle it. Nice work!

Frank Townend
12-26-2008, 2:33 PM
Thank you Steve. The kit is well built. The shaft is 3/8" in diameter and 1 1/2" long. Very solid. I haven't had a chance to dig into a quart of hand-packed, but I do think it can handle it. I used gap-filling CA on all but one, and Gorilla glue on one. I can never use "just" the right amount of Gorilla, so I was wiping it up as it expanded out. I would think a two-part epoxy would be best for the scoop, with CA on the ferrule.

http://images.rockler.com/rockler/images/29848-02-500.jpg

Toney Robertson
12-26-2008, 2:51 PM
Very nice.

Have not tried something like that before.

So many things to turn and so short on time.

Toney

Steve Schlumpf
12-26-2008, 3:06 PM
Thanks for the info Frank! I just may have to give one of those a try! Appreciate it!

Dean Thomas
12-26-2008, 3:07 PM
Frank, why would you use a finish that will wear off or come off with warm to hot water? I love the look, but as a kitchen tool, do you think the wax is enough protection? Especially when you give them away to folks who will probably not pay attention to the care and feeding of the tool handle.

Not criticizing, just asking for your thoughts and rationale.

They look great, btw. Myrtle is amazing and the birds eye showing through on the butt of the handles is just plain nifty.

Bernie Weishapl
12-26-2008, 3:09 PM
Great looking scoops Frank. Really like the Myrtle wood handle. Guess next time at Rocklers going to have to try a couple.

Frank Townend
12-26-2008, 4:43 PM
Thanks for the info Frank! I just may have to give one of those a try! Appreciate it!

Excellent Steve.

Great looking scoops Frank. Really like the Myrtle wood handle. Guess next time at Rocklers going to have to try a couple.

Bernie, your workmanship is a sight to see. I'd love to see what you can do with them. $11 isn't too bad for as nice as they are.

Very nice.

Have not tried something like that before.

So many things to turn and so short on time.

Toney

So true Toney. I didn't think I would get to them, but was able to make five today.

Frank, why would you use a finish that will wear off or come off with warm to hot water? I love the look, but as a kitchen tool, do you think the wax is enough protection? Especially when you give them away to folks who will probably not pay attention to the care and feeding of the tool handle.

Not criticizing, just asking for your thoughts and rationale.

They look great, btw. Myrtle is amazing and the birds eye showing through on the butt of the handles is just plain nifty.

Very good points Dean, thank you. Not sure about the wax, time will tell. Since they are for family, and they are used to listening to me very carefully :confused:, I am sure they will be careful or just display them. Rockler says "The finish could be with a drying type of oil such as pure tung oil or boiled linseed oil. An oil and varnish blend such as Rockler’s Nordic Oil also looks great. For a film type of finish (for extra protection against moisture and a higher sheen finish) try a wiping type polyurethane or a gel varnish." and, of course that is the best way to go. If the wax wears off, I'll suggest mineral oil or a good salad bowl finish.

Funny about the Birdseye Maple. These were spindle blanks, in a box, at Woodcraft, a buck or two a piece. I grabbed the ones I thought had promise. The Myrtle didn't look very good in rough form, but like you I am pleased how it 'turned' out.

Ron Jones near Indy
12-26-2008, 4:55 PM
Those are really nice. Almost makes me wish I did round stuff.:confused:

Frank Townend
12-26-2008, 5:30 PM
Those are really nice. Almost makes me wish I did round stuff.:confused:

Thank You Ron! It is a slippery slope, you can never go bad.

Jim Becker
12-26-2008, 9:48 PM
Those are wonderful, Frank!

David Walser
12-27-2008, 3:54 AM
Frank,

Those are very nice. I really like the simple, elegant, lines of your handles. I think the wax finish will be just fine. Yes, it will wear off. So what? Most of the wooden handled objects in our kitchens (I'm thinking of wooden spoons) don't have a finish -- or, if it did, the finish has long since worn off (I'm thinking kitchen knives) -- over time, the wood develops a very nice patina.

Jeff Nicol
12-27-2008, 6:28 AM
Frank, I like the picture of the whole group! I think you could blow it up frame it and sell it as a picture! I know someone out there would like to have it in there rec room or kitchen! I like the contrast of the kingwood and the birdseye maple is great.

Jeff

Frank Townend
12-27-2008, 8:22 AM
Those are wonderful, Frank!

Thank you Jim!

Frank,

Those are very nice. I really like the simple, elegant, lines of your handles. I think the wax finish will be just fine. Yes, it will wear off. So what? Most of the wooden handled objects in our kitchens (I'm thinking of wooden spoons) don't have a finish -- or, if it did, the finish has long since worn off (I'm thinking kitchen knives) -- over time, the wood develops a very nice patina.

Thanks David. Dean's comments are valid, and while I did read the Rockler instructions, I wanted a wow look, something the wax (at my skill level) gives me. I do agree with you kitchen stuff is kitchen stuff. I'd bought "durable" handled kitchenware and have had to refinish them. I will say as I set the tang into the end grain, I "sealed" the end with some CA, hoping to delay the breakdown of the wood. This doesn't seem too much of an issue with the Kingwood (great stuff), but more so with the others.

Frank, I like the picture of the whole group! I think you could blow it up frame it and sell it as a picture! I know someone out there would like to have it in there rec room or kitchen! I like the contrast of the kingwood and the birdseye maple is great.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I bought a photo light tent from eBay and was giving it a try. I should blow-up the picture, send copies as Christmas presents, and sell the ice cream scoops. :D