PDA

View Full Version : Window trim

Nathan Hoffman
06-17-2004, 10:27 AM
I have about 15 windows to trim out, and I am experimenting with the design. The pics show the top and bottom corners (the whole window didn't come out very well in a smallish picture), and we are going for a sort of federal style. The wood is baltic birch, stained a walnut color to match our maple kitchen cabinets. When finished, the birch matches the cabs quite well, and was $1/bdf cheaper than maple. And at 800 bdf and counting... What does everyone think?

Greg Heppeard
06-17-2004, 11:31 AM
I think it looks great. Let's see, 15 windows with 3 returns on each side, that's 6 returns per window, equals 90 returns on your moulding to cut....that will keep you busy for a while. I think it will all be worth it tho.

Nathan Hoffman
06-17-2004, 12:02 PM
And then I have to do the doors, too. Not to mention 2 medicine cabinets, a fireplace mantle, 3 built-in bookcases, a window seat, hall cabinet, and on and on. It will be worth the effort, and its a good thing I'm not under a deadline!

Jamie Buxton
06-17-2004, 12:43 PM
Nathan --
In my experienc, "baltic birch" has always meant plywood. Are you getting solid lumber called that? Or maybe it is moulding called that?

Wes Bischel
06-17-2004, 1:51 PM
Nathan,

They look good - the only thing I would try is going with a smaller bead on the vertical pieces - right now they are competing with the crown and apron visually. Maybe a smaller bead on the outside edge only to emphasize the trim as a window "frame".

It definitely doesn't look like off the shelf trim! :)

Wes

Tony Laros
06-17-2004, 6:50 PM
You might try a thicker stool, maybe 7/8" and wider to balance more with the heavy architrave. Not being critical here, I love unique trim. It will sure set your place apart from the mundane stock trim.

Chris Padilla
06-17-2004, 7:31 PM
Nathan, could you zoom out a couple times and give us a pic for each zoom out? I'd like to see the whole frame if I could to get a feel for the balance and size. Tony brings up an interesting point.

Nathan Hoffman
06-18-2004, 8:49 AM
The Baltic birch is solid wood, but it is the same species used for the plywood (I believe it is imported). Attached is the pic of the whole window, I have several different sizes, and this sketch is just a sample. I like the feedback!