PDA

View Full Version : Lumber suppliers in Eastern Iowa?

Dewayne Reding
12-26-2008, 10:36 AM
My local mill suffered catastrophic fire last week so I don't have an affordable source now.

Looking for sources in Quad City area which is eastern Iowa, western Illinois. Davenport, Iowa or Moline, Illinois area.

I live in the land of oak, maple, cherry and walnut so I refuse to believe I need to mail order to avoid buying Borg lumber. I was paying around $2.50 for oak and $4.00 for cherry.

Ed von Kutzleben
12-26-2008, 11:05 AM
My brother lives just west of Ottumwa and there seems to be plenty of Amish sawyers down that way. I'd figure out where the Amish and Mennonite folks are by you, drive there, then start asking around. I'll be in the Ottumwa area in late March filling up my truck and trailer with wood to haul back to New Mexico. Not alot of trees out here ya know.

Ed

Dewayne Reding
12-26-2008, 12:51 PM
Thanks Ed I intended to take my wife to an Amish community next week. I will ask around at the furniture store.

Martin Shupe
12-26-2008, 3:54 PM
Ericson Log and Lumber in New Windsor, IL.

309-667-2146

Call ahead to check their hours.

When you get there, tell Bob that Martin from Texas says "Hi".

Good selection of cherry, walnut, oak, etc.

If you call ahead, they can pull some stacks for you. If you wait until you get there, they will still pull some stacks for you.

Sort to your hearts content, but please restack nicely for me when you are done.

I have missed them my last two trips to Iowa. I'll try to get back to them next year.

Shawn Christ
12-27-2008, 9:16 AM
Dewayne, I'm glad to see another Quad Citian on the Creek!

I moved to Moline in 2006 and although I am still using the wood I had on hand, I have also been looking for an affordable hardwood source in this area. I haven't found anything on the Iowa side yet, but I can tell you what sources I've found over here.

One of the first sources I'd try is Woodworkers Shop (http://www.woodworkersshop.com/), inside Builders World in Milan. 309-756-0222. In addition to carrying hardwoods, they also carry Steel City and Festool tools, and they are a Rockler partner store.

Martin already mentioned Ericson's Mill in New Windsor. Don't know much about them, but I've got them on my list.

The first place I heard about when I moved here was Native Woods in Rock Island. 309-788-3355. I think this guy has a mill or shop somewhere but sells wood out of his house. I've also heard his prices are high. I called them once looking for drawer stock - poplar, aspen, or something similar. He said he'd look around to see what shorts he had on hand and call me back in a day or two. I never heard back from him.

I saw in the phone book a couple weeks ago a number for Quad City Hardwoods in Geneseo. 309-945-2728. I just stumbled across their number, don't know anything about them.

Another place you could try in a pinch is K&K Hardware in downtown Bettendorf. They have a lumber wing with a decent hardwood and plywood selection. I think their plywood prices are okay but hardwood seems very high to me.

Lastly, I'm almost ashamed to admit this but feel the need to throw it out. Menards carries "random oak" at most stores. Not the expensive shrink-wrapped stuff; this is unwrapped, surfaced both sides to 3/4, and straight lined one edge. I actually like using this stuff every now and then; it's cheap, clean, and I don't need to spend time surfacing it. Look for it on sale - I've bought it for $2.00 bf, although I think regular price is around $2.50. The only drawback is once you sand it down you're probably working with 11/16 material. If you don't mind using thinner stock for certain projects, I think this is a bargain.

Brad Bartley
12-27-2008, 10:51 AM
That's too bad about the fire, hopefully they will be able to rebuild. I stumbled across this website that might be helpful:
http://www.woodfinder.com/

This is what the Moline, IL search returned:
Hill Hardwood Supply, Inc. (http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/010863.php) Iowa City IA (48 miles)
Johnson Creek Hardwoods (http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/011193.php) Mount Carroll IL (49 miles)
Amana Society Forestry (http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/008061.php) Amana IA (69 miles)
Woodcraft - Peoria, IL (http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/011977.php) Peoria IL (75 miles)
Pekin Hardwood (http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/011581.php) Pekin IL (86 miles)
Woodworkers Shop (http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/011580.php) Pekin IL (86 miles)

Dewayne Reding
12-27-2008, 12:16 PM
Thanks Shawn, drop me a PM if you want to get together sometime. I live 20 minutes from you, and I work near the Woodworkers shop in Milan. They do have nice stuff, but I'm hopeful of finding a deal as I want to make some large projects. I found a new sawyer in Gladstone, IL. He is advertising excellent prices for walnut and oak, though I believe it might be air dried.

The Menards random width oak is decent if you get there right after a new shipment. I've had no problems finding hardwoods, but as you said, most places are very expensive. Yet lumber mills are strugglng mightily. Guess that's another thread.

And thanks Brad, I will check out that Amana source Monday. They sell $6000 dining room tables, so I'm not hopeful.

Shawn Christ
12-27-2008, 2:45 PM
... I found a new sawyer in Gladstone, IL. He is advertising excellent prices for walnut and oak, though I believe it might be air dried.

Dewayne, if you have a phone number for the source in Gladstone, please pass it on. Also, isn't air-dried walnut preferable?

Martin Shupe
12-27-2008, 5:00 PM
Dewayne, if you have a phone number for the source in Gladstone, please pass it on. Also, isn't air-dried walnut preferable?

Yes, air dried is preferable to kiln dried, which can sometimes be steamed.

Bob Potter
12-27-2008, 7:58 PM
Hi.
I live in Davenport. I have gotten lumber from River City Hardwoods in Muscatine Ia.
There located on the bypass right before you go back on 61 south. They have all kinds of hardwoods at good prices. If you call first they will get it ready for you. Phone No. is
563-263-3998. Address is 2310 Hwy 61 By Pass Muscatine Ia.

Also Roxie Smith 563-381-2690 all kinds of hardwood not planned but very low prices,
land fill road that goes between river drive [61] and high way 22.Very honest man.

Also Menards has raised there prices on there random lumber.

Hope this helps, Bob

Preston Hoffman
03-01-2014, 11:40 PM
Native Hardwoods in Rock Island has a large selection of hardwoods at a reasonable price. The downside is the wood storage is unorganized, not labeled and the quality is suspect. Much of the wood has bows, splits/cracks and twists. On the other hand, if you are looking for a place that sells very long boards then this would be the place to go. He has a large selection of timber at 12+ feet. Just make sure to call ahead. The environment is also extremely dusty (yes, more than your average sawmill by a lot), so consider wearing some breathing protection. Overall, there are some gems, but you got to look for them and I know that's not what everyone is looking to do.

Johnson Creek Hardwoods in Mount Carol, IL is a trek, but it is well worth the drive. You can check out their website at www.johnsoncreekhardwoods.com. This place is fantastic. He carries a large selection of woods at very reasonable prices. Last time I was there he even had American Chestnut (can't find that anywhere else). All his boards are jointed and planed to perfection. He planes with an old Oliver spiral cutterhead that leaves a perfectly smooth finish. I didn't see any chip out on his boards. This place is great to go to if you are looking for book matched lumber or hard to find lumber. You cannot call ahead with a cut list. He doesn't work that way, but you can probably call ahead and see what he has in stock of a particular wood. I believe he only takes cash or check, so plan ahead.

Does anyone have additional updated information on local sawmills? I was hoping to find another local great place to go to. Is Ericson's in New Windsor, IL still open (Do you know their hours)? Can anyone tell me more about River City Hardwoods (their hours)? I read River City Hardwoods has an impressive kiln drying system. Does anyone have experience with that?