PDA

View Full Version : waterproof seal for photograph in serving tray

tom coleman
12-26-2008, 3:10 AM
I am building serving trays and would like to place a photograph on bottom of tray. How can protect that picture?

Howard Acheson
12-26-2008, 3:15 PM
Use a pour-on epoxy.

Mike McCann
12-26-2008, 4:01 PM
I have used water based polycrilic over decals before on my corn toss boards. Not sure how that would work with pictures.

Dewey Torres
12-26-2008, 4:02 PM
Here is the link:

http://www.systemthree.com/p_mirror_coat.asp

Dennis Peacock
12-26-2008, 5:00 PM
Dewey and Howard have you headed in the right direction. :)

Joe Chritz
12-26-2008, 5:34 PM
The epoxy stuff is great.

West system makes some stuff you can use to build wooden aquariums. It doesn't get much more waterproof than that.

Depending on your design you could likely finish everything but the inside of the tray with "insert finish here" and then use the epoxy just on the flat area.

Joe

Pat Germain
01-02-2009, 12:17 PM
My wife uses pour-on epoxy for her picture "tile boards". Basically, I cut grooves in a piece of hardboard and she glues pictures onto the resulting squares. She then pours on the mixed epoxy. The result looks like tiles with pictures on them.

One thing that really helps with this process is going over the epoxy with a heat gun just after pouring. This eliminates any bubbles. Also, apply the epoxy in an area with minimal dust. Since it takes three days to completely cure, dust can be a real problem.