PDA

View Full Version : Drill Press

Gary Click
12-26-2008, 1:38 AM
I want to buy a drill press. Up till now I have used one of my vertical mills to drill with and while the manual machine has a quill feed like a drill press and can drill a 1-1/2" hole in steel, it is sometimes a little much.

I am looking at the Steel City, Jet, Delta and Craftsman machines. I lean towards the SC primarily because of the 6" quill travel. It seems like a no frills solid machine with a reasonable low speed. I would also like to be able to fit the drill with a digital depth gauge and a centering laser. All the machines are locally in stock around here and I would like to pick it up during the holidays.

I would like to here from others with opinions, experiences, etc.

Mike Heidrick
12-26-2008, 3:30 AM
I own the SC and I feel it is one of the best DPs with 6" Quill stroke and manual belt change speed changes for the money. That being said some of the new Deltas are out that have the nicer table and the handwheel selectable speed change. SC had a model with lever selectable speed settings at IWF.

Jim Becker
12-26-2008, 10:47 AM
Quill throw and low speeds are important for woodworking. (You can always build a larger auxiliary table if you have those other two things in-hand)

I did notice that Jet recently redesigned their 17" DP (I own the older version) and it seems to have some nice features including a table designed more for woodworking. 'Might be work checking it out a little for comparison. (I don't know the specs)

John Thompson
12-26-2008, 11:40 AM
Agree with Jim on slow speed and quill travel as I prefer to make my table for my needs. And if you are thinking of a variable.. what Mile said about the way they are variable makes a difference IMO. The new Steel City Variable Speed which will be released soon are done with a mechanical changing sytem as it's long quill travel is done with a split head to adjust potential slop down the road. You will find all industrial DP's with longer quill travel with split heads.

I demonstrated the new Steel City Variable for them at IWF in August and it's a very nice machine along with the standard belt model. I was ask a couple of weeks ago to field test the Variable model that was on the floor at IWF in my shop. It is currently on the Showroom at SC in Murfreesboro and as soon as the new models arrive which is soon... I have to drive up and pick it up. I hope to do a review as soon as I put it throught the paces of a real.. everyday shop.

Sarge..

Don Bullock
12-26-2008, 11:53 AM
Quill throw and low speeds are important for woodworking. (You can always build a larger auxiliary table if you have those other two things in-hand)

I did notice that Jet recently redesigned their 17" DP (I own the older version) and it seems to have some nice features including a table designed more for woodworking. 'Might be work checking it out a little for comparison. (I don't know the specs)

Jim makes a great point on quill/spindle travel and speed.

quill/spindle travel-
SC = 6"
Jet = 4 3/8"

speed-
SC = 16 (215 to 2,720 RPM)
Jet = 200 - 3620 RPM

There are many threads about drill press tables, both shop made and store bought.

Steve H Graham
12-26-2008, 1:12 PM
I just wanted to compliment Gary on his haircut.

John Williamson
12-26-2008, 1:38 PM
I bought the Steel City about a year ago and have been very happy with it.

Gary Click
12-26-2008, 5:15 PM
Decision was made, booty collected, tranported home, assembled, aligned and laser bore-sighted. It is a Steel City DP from Woodcraft.

Compared the SC, Jet and Delta side by side (well the Delta was at Lowes actually). The Jet and SC were more attractive than the Delta but granted at a higher price, $369 verses $499. the Jet and SC both looked good and compariable with an advantage to the longer quill stroke on the SC. Looking closer the construction is similar, the table support casting appears identical and even had the same foundry number cast on both. Capacity was the same, motor horsepower the same, both had lights (built-in verses gooseneck). Looked pretty even until----.

We got to the fine points and started to compare quill locks, the SC had a lever lock on the right side, the Jet had ----, well we couldn't find one at all. The Jet had a depth adjustment lock that could be used to lock the spindle but no quill lock as such. Additionally the depth stop on the Jet had to be screwed up and down, the SC on the otherhand has a push button quick adjustable depth stop. This was a tie breaker and the point went to the Steel City.

Gary Click
12-26-2008, 5:17 PM
BTW- Thanks for noticing my haircut. I try to get it cut every three months whether it needs it or not.

Robert foster
12-26-2008, 7:08 PM
I bought the Delta 29-950 and am pleased with it.

Bob

John Thompson
12-26-2008, 7:09 PM
I'm glad you compared the DP's side by side. The tool itself will tell you which is the best choice for you IMO. I don't think you will regret if at all as you did your homework in advance.

Enjoy...

Sarge..

Jeffrey Makiel
12-26-2008, 8:17 PM
I believe the new 20" variable speed drill press offered by Delta is available (that is, they are listed as 'in stock' as some internet mailorder houses). I don't know anything about them, but they seem nice.

-Jeff :)

Terry Rasmussen
12-27-2008, 10:49 PM
I had been looking at Steel City & Delta drill presses for more than a year. I liked the Steel City spindle travel length. I used a Steel City twice, but did not care for the feel. I had reservations with the Delta because of previous poor support on two PC routers. Last month, I used a Jet 17DX (http://woodworking.jettools.com/Products.aspx?Part=354173&cat=333194) at the local dealer. I liked the feel of the Jet 17DX. Additionally, it had built in lamp, laser and a larger table. Additionally, with the Jet $25 rebate plus 10%, I got a good price. After using it in the shop, I have no regrets and would do it again. Jet has $75 rebate ($25 + $50 holiday rebate) through 12/31/08.