PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the dang STOP button in IE?

Bruce Page
12-25-2008, 11:13 PM
I recently upgraded to a new PC and IE 7
Since then when a page is excruciatingly slow to load I always fumble around before I remember to pull out the keyboard drawer and hit the escape key. Why did they remove the dang stop button anyway?!?

Arrrrrgh!

Nancy Laird
12-25-2008, 11:18 PM
Bruce, I use IE7 and I have a stop button - it's at the top, right next to the refresh button. It has a big red X in it.

Bruce Page
12-25-2008, 11:30 PM
Duh..:o
I thought that was for the Google search bar.
Things are laid out a little differently from what I'm used to.

Thanks!

Doug Shepard
12-26-2008, 6:44 AM
Bruce, I use IE7 and I have a stop button - it's at the top, right next to the refresh button. It has a big red X in it.

OK - new question. Where is the refresh button?:confused: The only thing I've found so far is right-clicking on the tab.

Ron Dunn
12-26-2008, 6:48 AM
Doug, the refresh button is the two curved arrows at the right of the address bar ... where you type in the URL. You should see a drop-down arrow for a list of previous URLs, then the refresh button, then the stop button.

Doug Shepard
12-26-2008, 6:53 AM
Thanks Ron. Got em now. Sure wish they'd leave the Aint-Broken stuff not fixed when they roll out these "upgrades".

Larry Browning
12-26-2008, 7:51 AM
Thanks Ron. Got em now. Sure wish they'd leave the Aint-Broken stuff not fixed when they roll out these "upgrades".
Sorry, I just can't resist this one. (I tried, but just couldn't)
My opinion is the IE is permanently, hopelessly broken no matter what version you are using. Please give Firefox a try, you will never go back.
I kinda think of IE as the Harbor Freight version of web browsers. It kinda works, but there are WAY better choices.

Doug Shepard
12-26-2008, 9:23 AM
...My opinion is the IE is permanently, hopelessly broken no matter what version you are using. Please give Firefox a try, you will never go back.

Not a lot of argument here but with some sites just not behaving w/o IE I sort of view it as the Rosetta Stone of browsers. You can read the stuff but it needs a lot of help/bloat/translation to get there. I haven't tried Firefox but had Google Chrome installed prior to losing my hard drive last week. I've been re-installing stuff on a new laptop since yesterday and may take FF for a spin.

Larry Browning
12-26-2008, 9:27 AM
Not a lot of argument here but with some sites just not behaving w/o IE I sort of view it as the Rosetta Stone of browsers. You can read the stuff but it needs a lot of help/bloat/translation to get there. I haven't tried Firefox but had Google Chrome installed prior to losing my hard drive last week. I've been re-installing stuff on a new laptop since yesterday and may take FF for a spin.
Have you tried the Firefox add-ons for IE? Like IE Tab and IE View. These 2 work pretty well for those misbehaving IE sites. Oh, wait, I just reread your post, you said you had NOT tried FF. Let me rephrase:
Please give Firefox a spin and be sure to get the add-ons IE Tab and IE View for those misbehaving IE sites. Plus, there are MANY add-ons that can really improve the way FF works. I really cannot imagine the web without it.

Kevin Arceneaux
12-26-2008, 9:57 AM
Get NoScript for FF also.

David DeCristoforo
12-26-2008, 1:07 PM
As I understand it all keyboards sold after Jan 1 '09 must have this key:

http://www.daviddecristoforo.com/Misc/stop.gif