PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for the help!

Jerry Lawrence
12-25-2008, 10:31 PM
One week ago I started a thread asking for advice on sanding methods. I received many great suggestions, two of the most useful to me were to sand with the grain in between grits while turning the lathe by hand, and to make sure the piece is wiped clean before progressing to the next grit. Thanks to all who helped out. Here are a few Christmas presents on which I utilized those suggestions.
Pen is an Olympian Elite2 24 kt kit in pink ivory wood. Yo-Yo is cocobolo and kaleidescope is a lamination of padauk, wenge, pao amarillo, purpleheart and maple (i think that's it). Those three kits were all from PSI. Last pen is a bullet kit from Little River Crafts made with deer antler.
Again, sorry for pic quality, and comments and critiques appreciated.
Thanks!
104759 104760
104761 104762

Billy Tallant
12-26-2008, 2:52 AM
Jerry,

Pens look great. I really like the grain pattern that came out on the yoyo. I've got a question for you on the antler pen. What type of finish are you using? Also when I turn an antler pen down to the porous area like in your picture, it will be real rough. Are you using any time of filler before finishing your pen out?

Allen Neighbors
12-26-2008, 9:11 AM
Really nice work! I like the egg-shaped kaleidescope the most of all. That's just plain gorgeous!

Bernie Weishapl
12-26-2008, 10:19 AM
Those are some beauties. I really like the fountain pen. Well done.

Steve Schlumpf
12-26-2008, 10:41 AM
Very nice work on everything Jerry! Really like the wood combination in your kaleidoscope! Great colors and form! Keep up the good work!

Jim Kountz
12-26-2008, 11:31 AM
Nice work Jerry, looks like you got it down now!!

Jerry Lawrence
12-26-2008, 11:39 PM
Jerry,

Pens look great. I really like the grain pattern that came out on the yoyo. I've got a question for you on the antler pen. What type of finish are you using? Also when I turn an antler pen down to the porous area like in your picture, it will be real rough. Are you using any time of filler before finishing your pen out?
Thanks Billy,
I am just using a polishing compound and buff finish. The porous area has a little texture to it, but really very little. I think the compound fills in a little bit, but honestly I think it was just luck, sorry to say.

Jerry Lawrence
12-26-2008, 11:56 PM
Another lesson I learned while doing these projects is: Don't be cheap; order the mandrel and bushings! For a mandrel I had to make due with a ten inch lag bolt with a couple of nuts, and bushings turned to size from an old broom handle. Cheaper for sure, but way more work than it should be....:cool:

Dean Thomas
12-27-2008, 3:38 PM
Glad to hear and see your progress and success.

Another tip to address your pore problem: Use your highest grit paper (mine is 400 or 500 on the wood) and after you've sanded with the grain and wiped it down, use a fresh piece of paper and wet sand your pen using whatever your finish is on the sandpaper. Yes, you can even do this with CA glue if it's fresh glue and you have a quick hand. The wood fines combine with the finish and fill the pores, accenting the grain much as a stain or paste filler might. Leaves a glass smooth finish that can be built to your preferred gloss and buffed to your heart's content.