PDA

View Full Version : It's a wine Christmas.

Toney Robertson
12-25-2008, 7:58 PM
Some Xmas gifts that were given out yesterday.

The wine glasses were turned from maple and the champagne glasses were turned from walnut. As you can see all the stems have different profiles. I was trying to find one I like the best. Any one stand out to you?

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/iublue/WineGlassesandStoppers.jpg

The stoppers were turned out of zebrawood, mesquite and walnut. The walnut grain was AMAZING. Some very nice chatoyance. I don't think the photo does it justice. These are the first stoppers I have done - fun project.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/iublue/Stoppers.jpg

All items were finished with lacquer that was friction applied. Kudos to Bernie W for his help.

Toney

Don Carter
12-25-2008, 8:25 PM
Tony:
All beautiful work! Someone was very nice this year.;) I like the champagne flute in walnut, #4 left to right. Very delicate and simple. The stoppers are all knockouts. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

All the best.

Don

Steve Schlumpf
12-25-2008, 8:28 PM
Toney - Merry Christmas to you! First thing I noticed was the photograph - beautifully done! Really like all of the wine/champagne glasses! You did a great job on blending in the glass/wood joint! As for a particular one - I like simple things and the champagne glass in the back right position looks great to me! Again - nice work on all!

Beautiful bottle stoppers! The woods look great and the finish is perfect! Will these be part of your 'Indiana series'? Again, nice work on everything!

Your turnings have come a long way in a relatively short period of time! This is going to be a great year for you! Make the most of it!

Jim Becker
12-25-2008, 8:35 PM
I love those glasses, Toney!!!!

Bernie Weishapl
12-25-2008, 10:26 PM
Beautiful pieces Toney. Really like the glasses.

Billy Tallant
12-26-2008, 2:55 AM
The glasses look great. Haven't seen any done like this before. Stoppers look great also.

Allen Neighbors
12-26-2008, 9:08 AM
Gorgeous work, Toney. I also like the fourth one from the left most of all. It looks so elegant, with that beautiful curve. They're all beautiful. Nice work.

Jason Roehl
12-26-2008, 9:18 AM
I like #3 and #4 from the left--they both have seen to have just the right balace visually. Beautiful work!

Scott Lux
12-26-2008, 10:28 AM
My favorite glass is the far right. But I like the idea of a "set" with all different stems. Makes it easier to tell which one is mine.

Nice work!

Lux

Jim Kountz
12-26-2008, 11:33 AM
I love these! Very nicely done and great gifts too I bet. Way to go!!

Curt Fuller
12-26-2008, 1:48 PM
Man, those are all beautiful, the glasses and the stoppers. My favorite glass it the one on the left. I like how the wood flows into the glass. But they're all very nice.

Now a question, if you don't mind. Is that some glass made to be fitted to a wooden stem or have you cut the stem off of some glasses? And how are the wood and glass attached?

Toney Robertson
12-26-2008, 2:37 PM
Man, those are all beautiful, the glasses and the stoppers. My favorite glass it the one on the left. I like how the wood flows into the glass. But they're all very nice.

Now a question, if you don't mind. Is that some glass made to be fitted to a wooden stem or have you cut the stem off of some glasses? And how are the wood and glass attached?

Curt,

Most people on here like the thin stemmed one but I agree with you about how the wood and glass line up and flows together on the one on the left. That is the look I was going for and I am glad to see that you noticed.

IIRC, I ordered the glasses from Craft Supplies but I see no reason that you could not buy some glasses and just cut off the bases.

The glass is held in place with the glass glue from Craft Supplies but I would probably never buy it again, not because I am not happy with it but it says right on the tube that is 100% RTV silicone and I am sure I could get it elsewhere for less.

Thank you and everyone else for the nice comments.

Toney

Toney Robertson
12-26-2008, 2:50 PM
Toney - Merry Christmas to you! First thing I noticed was the photograph - beautifully done! Really like all of the wine/champagne glasses! You did a great job on blending in the glass/wood joint! As for a particular one - I like simple things and the champagne glass in the back right position looks great to me! Again - nice work on all!

Beautiful bottle stoppers! The woods look great and the finish is perfect! Will these be part of your 'Indiana series'? Again, nice work on everything!

Your turnings have come a long way in a relatively short period of time! This is going to be a great year for you! Make the most of it!

Steve,

I appreciate the comment on the photo. I have been working at getting better pictures and it is nice for you to notice. I personally thought that this was the best picture I had taken in my short turning photography career.

I assume that the "Indiana series" comment was directed towards the Indiana Artisan Project. I don't know if I can use the Indiana Artisan brand on something like this since it is not "all" wood and I was juried in for all wood turnings. It is still kind of fuzzy in my mind what is kosher and what is not.

I hope that you are right about this upcoming year. If the economy would turn around just a little.....?

I am now in the process of submitting to a new jury some work to be displayed in the Indiana State Museum. That would be cool but out of 85 artists currently in the IAP they are only going to display about 30-35. We will see what happens.

Once again, thanks to you and everyone else for the nice comments.

Toney