PDA

View Full Version : Wenge Bath Vanities....Master Bdrm Suite (pic heavy)

Roy Wall
12-25-2008, 1:44 PM
This project had a few starts & stops......life happens......but it was finally completed back in late September (I think). We hired a general contractor for most of the work and I have 'sweat equity' in most all the parts. I learned a lot about tile work / Trim / prefinished flooring, etc..

Anyway - one used to walk thru the master bedroom to get to the bathroom and all the closets, etc. The entire space was nearly 'gutted' and a new layout evolved. We added a new Laundry room (very convienient now) and upgraded most everything. The Wenge vanities use prefinished maple ply components and have a Limestone top. The tub is jacuzzi and stainless steel. All the flooring is heated. The new walk-in closet was our 'old bathroom'.

My beautiful wife designed everything -- and she is very pleased. The wenge vanity has lots of storage. Soft close drawer glides for all.

Several of you had asked about this project and I apologize letting this get so tardy - me bad! Special thanks to Larry Fox for his assistance and I'd have to say that Mark Singer has 'influenced' our style a bit towards the west coast......:)

Here are the pics:

Roy Wall
12-25-2008, 1:51 PM
More pics........

Roy Wall
12-25-2008, 1:54 PM
I've got more......

Roy Wall
12-25-2008, 1:56 PM
More pics you say.........

Jim Becker
12-25-2008, 1:58 PM
Wow...absolutely OUTSTANDING, Roy!!!

Roy Wall
12-25-2008, 1:58 PM
The final few......

John Eaton
12-25-2008, 2:03 PM
Very nice Roy.

-- John

Mark Singer
12-25-2008, 3:47 PM
Roy,
Excellent !!! I really love the design and materials. Excellent construction prevails! Congratulations!

Ed Sallee
12-25-2008, 5:47 PM
Beautiful!!! I have never seen wenge used like that. Very nice!!!

Calvin Hobbs
12-25-2008, 7:08 PM
Roy,

Very nice. Your wife did a great job on the design and you as well on the vanities.

For all out there, these look much better in person. The whole renovation is very impressive, Roy! Now what is next on your agenda?

Cal

John Thompson
12-25-2008, 8:53 PM
Stunning....

Sarge..

Dewey Torres
12-25-2008, 9:14 PM
Nice vanity and nice PAD as well!

Larry Fox
12-25-2008, 9:57 PM
Roy, that is absolutely out of this world. The whole project came out absolutely wonderfully and that vanity is nothing short of top shelf. Very nice design, craftsmanship and materials there. Definitely something to be proud of and the entire project will add so much to your quality of life.

Thomas MacDonald
12-26-2008, 6:59 PM
man ..that is some clean work...i wish i had a pad like that.....really great...i can tell you are a good mechanic...

Mike Cutler
12-27-2008, 7:33 AM
Roy

Absolutely stunning. Everything looks fantastic by itself and as a complete design. Well done.
The wenge is very nice contrast to everything else.That natural dark element is a classic.
You should enjoy looking at that work for years to come.
Thanks for all of the photos.

Greg Cole
12-27-2008, 8:45 AM
Wow and double wow.
Put this thread in the do NOT SHOW MY LOML category.
Well done Roy.

Walt Caza
12-27-2008, 10:25 AM
Congratulations Roy!

Your sweet suite improvements are a showstopper, and will enhance your daily home life, which is great.

Gorgeous details, such as the tub faucet, and open spaces leave me envious.
The overall appearance is fantastic, and there are so many points of visual interest.

But for me, your Wenge work is the big payoff. Your design and execution of the vanity
are my favourite. Such clean lines, and strong photography.
I like the close-up of the drawer fronts best. Such amazing grain and colour. I must be a wood hound.

You deserve to be proud of your work and living space.
You did not mention it, but I know it can be difficult living in the project.
Inconvenience and drywall dust for months, etc...
Any chance you will share constuction details, such as topcoat and drawer construction?

Thanks for showing us, it was well worth the wait!

So, you can't rest on your laurels forever.....
what are you building next Roy?
be well,
Walt

ps Did you get many Wenge slivers?

Louis Bois
12-28-2008, 8:34 AM
My hat's off to you (and your Missus) Roy! You both did a splendid job in the design and execution of this project. Enjoy your new space!!!!

Cheers,

Louis

ps...all the best to you and your family in the new year!:)

Roy Wall
12-28-2008, 12:45 PM
Thanks fellas for all the nice comments............ Louis, good to hear from you too!

Walt -

Since this is a 'built in' - I was not too inclinded to go with solid wood / hand planes / and DT all the drawer joints by hand. Stand alone furniture can move with me or be given away - and thus given all the care I can muster.........but these vanities are attached to the house, so I opted for a more sensible approach with reduced sweat equity (which in my case takes way too long anyway.... :o).

The prefinished maple interiors were about $15 a sheet extra; no brainer for me. Once assembled - they were completley done!

I did some researching on the web for 'dovetail drawer boxes'... I got some pricing and ended up buying prefinished drawer boxes to stay with the theme. These were ordered after assembly of the base to get the right measurements. For about $150 extra over what I could have built unfinished boxes; I got them prefinished and delivered to my door in about 2 weeks. Rarely do I make such good decisions........

The wenge faceframes were milled to 3/4" square and attached with pocket scews. I used bessey clamps to hold them tight and I got virtually NO CREEP which was very pleasing. I oriented the pocket screws to fall within the drawer boxes to hide them.

The end panel and two drawer panels have 1/4" wenge veneer ply sandwiched between 5" rail/stile. I found it from a scroll saw supplier in TN........bought a five pack of 2'x2' sheets.

Finish is MinWax Wipe On Poly (satin).....I love the stuff. I tested some pieces used some plain BLO, Formbys, Tried and True, Tung oil... but came back to the Minwax. 3-5 coats in various places. Easy to apply. New coat in 3-5 hours. Put some more on here in a year or so for maintenance if needed. I need simple in the finishing department....and need to work on it too.....

-----------------------

I hand picked the wenge thru a whole stack, trying to get the best they had. I tried to envision what board would be best for doors, drawer, panels, etc... and marked them up right there at the lumberyard.

Wenge is Hard! It does leave a Wicked Splinter!! I wore gloves most all the time and only got 'knicked' a few times. I will stress that you do need to get those splinters OUT QUICKLY.....they can fester in a short amount of time. However, once sanded.....you're over the hump.
-----------------------

Drywall did infiltrate the house:eek:.....we closed it off pretty good though. But even then, you will have a 'fine powder' that blankets everything. After the drywall was finished and sanded, I'd say about 1 more month of "fallout" occured:). Hey, just wipe/vacuum/dust......repeat every few days.......it does eventually go away:D

We have two bedrooms / extra bath upstairs so we were not disturbed too much. The main thing was stuff that was just 'piled around' the house in strange locations......when you move everything out of those rooms...they have to go somewhere!
---------

I did use some 'hand work' with the block plane to join the two 'boxes' together at a point since they are on adjoining 45* wall.

The mirror frames are wenge -- 24"x 32".

If you notice we put a 4" hole in the top at the corner. We put a small waste basket that can be removed thru the door. So now the waste is all tidy and out of site.

The End Cap on the far end is OPEN so my wife can put the hairdryer/etc away easily.

We are still waiting on a 'lighted make-up mirror'...hence the wire poking out of the wall on the right side.
----------------

Okay, that's about it. Nothing difficult but it all takes time doesn't it.

I have nothing but admiration for ALL the work (big or small) that posted by you members here at SMC. We all help each other - that's what it's all about!

Matt Crew
12-28-2008, 4:48 PM
Very nice work. I can certinly understand your reservations about the built in units. Cant just pick them up and take with you.

Don C Peterson
12-29-2008, 9:43 AM
Very nice Roy! I hope our house (or any part of it) looks half that good someday...

Danny Thompson
12-29-2008, 11:06 AM
That is just SICK, Roy! I sure hope my wife doesn't see this.

Every last part is perfect. The design, the execution. The light, the dark. Even the photography is great!

Is there any way to block a thread?