PDA

View Full Version : I need help shaping this project

Dan Mages
06-17-2004, 9:03 AM
I am about 2/3 of the the way done with this project. Hopefully I will have it done by Wednesday of next week. I am a newbie hack, and i can use some advice on shaping the wood. The front of the shelf has a gentle curve on both sides and a concave section in the middle. what is the best tool to give it a good, smooth curve? The biggest problem is that I am working with end grain. I started with a jig saw and rough cut the shape, now I am working with a rough file and 60 grit paper and getting okay results, it could be better. Would a rasp do any better? What would you use? any tips? I'm willing to pick up new tools, but nothing too expensive.

Dan

Todd Burch
06-17-2004, 9:12 AM
You can make a sanding block. Glue 80 grit paper to an opposite-curved block of wood and have at it. You'll need two blocks - a concave and a convex, or, you could make 1 in a banana shape. Start with 80, then full with wood-filler, let dry, then 80, then 120. You could use a flat block for the convex surfaces.

Todd

David Hayes
06-17-2004, 10:09 AM
As Todd said, a sanding block would get the job done. If you are looking for an excuse to buy a tool, this is the perfect job for an oscillating drum sander.

That is a cool looking modification to the vehicle!

Dave

Dan Mages
06-17-2004, 11:51 AM
I do have a random orbit sander at home that I have been using so far.... hmm.... maybe time for a 1/4 sheet palm sander with curved pads?

Dan

Donnie Raines
06-17-2004, 12:08 PM
I would use a card scraper...you could have that thing done in 5 minutes or less with that. You may need to modify the contour to your design..but that would not be difficult either. Just make sure to put a nice hook on that baby and go. See the URL below for tuneing a card scraper.

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/w00007.asp

Dan Mages
06-18-2004, 8:31 AM
Thanks for the replies! I stopped by Berland's yesterday and I talked to them as well. I picked up a contour pad for my random orbit sander and a spokeshave. That contour pad and 6 60 grit pads later, I have it to a very nice shape! The spokeshave didnt do as good of a job on the end grain, but is working marvels for cleaning up the glued joint. I think I have a new friend! :D Just a little more touching up the edges and a roundover with the router and then its time for a couple coats of spar urehane.

Dan

Scott Coffelt
06-18-2004, 11:12 AM
and paint it grey :D to cover the weird leaf thing on there.... Sorry, couldn't resist. Spindle sander and disk sander, two new tools for the shop.