PDA

View Full Version : tack rag solvent with shellac?

david kramer
12-25-2008, 12:36 PM
What type of solvent do you recommend when wiping down shellac? Obviously alcohol would dissolve the shellac, that's out. Would mineral spirits be a better choice?

Thx
David

Jim Becker
12-25-2008, 1:56 PM
If I've knocked down shellac, I just wipe it off with a dry, soft towel.

Larry Fox
12-25-2008, 2:07 PM
+1 to what Jim said. You can also use Naphtha (sp?) as it flashes off fairly quickly but I think it is unnecessary.

Joe Chritz
12-25-2008, 3:09 PM
The micro fiber sold for cleaning and dusting around the house are the greatest things ever invented.

No solvents, no crud just takes the dust off.

Joe

david kramer
12-25-2008, 7:07 PM
The micro fiber sold for cleaning and dusting around the house are the greatest things ever invented.

No solvents, no crud just takes the dust off.

Joe

Joe,

I'm not familiar with micro fiber dusters. A quick Google search turns up mop-looking things. Do you have a link to an online source? Where do you get them?

Thx
David

Jim Becker
12-25-2008, 8:26 PM
David, you can get the microfiber clothes from places that sell household cleaning items, such as Bed, Bath & Beyond and other home-oriented chains. We have several and they are indeed wonderful. (Although I have not used them in the shop)

Joe Chritz
12-25-2008, 9:23 PM
I think I got one in the paint section at the orange borg and the others I got from Meijer or Walmart or something.

They look like a dishtowel but thin and a strange weave. They have been marketed as lens cleaners, electronics dusters and the sort. It is about all I use for a tack cloth anymore.

Joe

Howard Acheson
12-26-2008, 3:21 PM
Wiping down is not necessary. Just vacuum and apply the finish. If you are between coat sanding, just vaccum. The remaining "dust" is really shellac and will be completely dissolved by the next coat of shellac.

glenn bradley
12-26-2008, 11:25 PM
+1 for dry but, I do have some of the microfiber do-jobbers around here as well.