PDA

View Full Version : Plunge Router Bosch-PC-Triton...

Ted Baca
12-25-2008, 11:53 AM
I recently bought a master Router guide system and would like to have a permanently mounted router to the unit. I currently own a Bosch 1617 router but it is not as smooth on the plunge motion as I feel it should be. I have looked at the Porter Cable 895 and the Triton 2 1/4 hp router. I realize that using the bosch I can always have a backup motor and that is appealing as well. So my question: Who has owned these routers and what is you experience? Also do you think a 3 to 31/2 HP router would make more sense considering I already have the 2 1/14 hp routers? Mostly doing cabinet and shelving and other odds/ends. I have a 1613EVS router a few years back and sold it since it was too heavy and cumbersome for my work habits and I really can't say that I have missed it. But as things evolve as I get better, er more experience, I take on bigger projects. So I need some input from fellow dustmakers. Merry Christmas to all.

Rusty Elam
12-25-2008, 2:43 PM
I have the Triton 2.25 and love it, there are some things on it that take a little getting used to but after that its a great router.

Tom Esh
12-25-2008, 3:22 PM
Festool aside ('cause I don't own one), the smoothest plunge router I've used is the DW621, in fact one of the nicest routers period. Silk smooth, reasonably quiet (for a router), and superb dust collection.
The worst was a PC890 combo plunge base (the old style before they changed the design last yr). Truly horrible - about like using a router strapped to a pogo stick.

jerry nazard
12-25-2008, 5:17 PM
I'll second Rusty's post. The Triton 2.25 is a wonderful little machine.

Alan DuBoff
12-25-2008, 5:26 PM
Festool aside ('cause I don't own one), the smoothest plunge router I've used is the DW621, in fact one of the nicest routers period. Silk smooth, reasonably quiet (for a router), and superb dust collection.
I have a DW621, the only complaint against it I have is that the spindle lock mechanism is fragile, and many folks have broke them, myself included.

However, removing it and using a screwdriver in the spindle hole works better than the spindle lock, IMO, and how I use it now.

For my use, it's a great plunge router, picked mine up used and love it.

Of the ones listed, the Triton looks good to me, I just don't use a router enough to warrant owning more than one. In that regard, I'm glad I have the DW621 cause it is one heck of a plunge router.

Bill Arnold
12-25-2008, 5:35 PM
I have three 1617EVS routers and really like them. As you said, the plunge base isn't as smooth as I'd like, but I don't have any problem doing what I need to do with it. I had one of them in my router table and it worked well, but I changed to an M12V for more power to sling panel-raising bits easier.

Ted Baca
12-25-2008, 9:10 PM
I had not even considered the DeWalt. I am curious how long the Triton has been around and what is service-parts like for them? I like the festool for how smooth it is but $$ and I really don't like the feel of the side handle. Bill, do I understand that you use the 1617 plunge base in your router table? Also , what is the M12V?

Bill Arnold
12-26-2008, 4:11 AM
... Bill, do I understand that you use the 1617 plunge base in your router table? Also , what is the M12V?
I used the 1617 fixed base in my table and the plunge base for hand-held routing.

The M12V is a 15A router made by Hitachi.

Ted Baca
12-26-2008, 11:58 AM
Thanks Bill I will look at the Hitachi.