PDA

View Full Version : Delta versa feeder

Ron Bontz
12-25-2008, 11:51 AM
I was curious if anyone has any experience with the Delta Versa Feeder? How well does it work / hold up? Or would I be better off holding off for a larger one. I would be using it on my Delta shaper for small runs of molding, crown etc.. Basically anything you really do not want to hand feed. Thanks in advance.:)

David DeCristoforo
12-25-2008, 12:10 PM
I had one of the original ones and it was very handy for light weight work. Much easier to hump around from one machine to another. But not too good as your "only" feeder. There is little you can do with a small feeder that cannot be done just as well with a larger one (except of course, carry it) but the inverse is not true.

J.R. Rutter
12-25-2008, 12:47 PM
For shaper use, I would go for at least the 1/4 HP version. It is small, but is a true feeder with rigid columns. The Versa feeder might be good for router table use.

John Bush
12-25-2008, 1:25 PM
Is that the Delta 36-865? Those with feeder experience, would this be appropriate for running 2x6's on the TS to help with accurate bevel cuts?? This not a production task, just a hobby thing that I would like to maintain the stability of the stock. Kinda like a feather board that plugs in.

Merry X-mas JCB.

Burt Waddell
12-25-2008, 2:02 PM
I've been doing some down sizing so I am down to three of the Versa feeders. First, although these carry the Delta brand they are made by Co-matic. These have been sold under most major name brands. In practical application they are good tools within the scope of their capability. You have to realize they are low horsepower and some of the gears are made of plastic. The gears are reasonably priced and relatively easy to install. I use mine for making moldings, drawer fronts, dadoing plywood, etc. I would buy them again. As someone said they are a lot easier to move than the larger feeders.

Burt

Sonny Edmonds
12-25-2008, 2:15 PM
Uhh, no, none whatsoever... :rolleyes:

Back when I decided I wanted to make my own custom moldings, because nothing commercially available was quite what she wanted, I found that hand feeding was not going to get me the accuracy I needed to make moldings.
So... I got a Delta Versa Feeder and the rest is history.
I use it on my cabinet saw, my router table, and even made a mount for it to use it on my jointer (though I rarely ever do).
I've used it in ever imaginable configuration you could think of, and some none would ever recommend. Because I can. And I enjoy figuring it out. ;)
I've replaced the drive wheels on it once, because I chewed one up. (What the heck IS that yellow sawdust? Oh cheeeet!)
No, the Versa Feeder isn't like a $1000.00 feeder. But it doesn't carry that $1000 dent in your shop budget either.
But it'll do. And it'll do it for as long as you want to run it.
Mine has pushed through many thousands of linear feet of molding stock and blanks.
I mounted mine on a nice chunk of 5/8" thick cold rolled steel and have two PC handles with stud in them to clamp it down to the saw table wings for the saw or router table.
Looks like dis:

Set-up for the TS
http://home.earthlink.net/~pie/images/new%20saw/vfmountedsaw.jpg

Ready to drive stock on the router
http://home.earthlink.net/~pie/images/new%20saw/vfmountrt.jpg

And because I was told I couldn't, I set it up and ran it on my Delta Jointer. Then showed that doughting Thomas where the door was. :p
http://home.earthlink.net/~pie/images/new%20saw/vfmountjointer.jpg

And you can see lots of feeders here (http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGIE,GGIE:2006-43,GGIE:en&q=Stock+feeders).
But I still like my Versa Feeder just fine. Plenty good enough for my high powered home shop (which does some custom commercial work). :)

Ron Bontz
12-25-2008, 3:35 PM
I came across a new one for $175.00. Hence I was considering getting it instead of waiting. Thanks for the input. BTW Dave I went to your web site. Nice chess tables, etc.:)

Rick Fisher
12-25-2008, 4:34 PM
http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m455/jokerbird_photo/P1010525.jpg

I have mixed feelings about mine. Its the General version of the same thing.. 1/8 hp. Variable speed.

I think the problem is that the only other feeder I ever ran is my Maggi 1hp, which sits on my shaper.

Its almost as if the wheels arent low enough.. ? Wood stops moving under the wheels on a phenolic table.. I havent put enough time into learning how to use it.. Its new..

The variable speed is a nice touch but the machine slows down under load. The Maggi doesnt slow down.. Once I get it in my head that its a 1/8hp feeder, I think it will be fine.

Brian Peters
12-25-2008, 7:34 PM
That's a huge step down from a maggi! Its an awkward little feeder, I don't love it but for what it is for it is pretty decent.

Joe Chritz
12-25-2008, 9:17 PM
Mine just puked but when it was running it was a very handy little unit. I think I would save a bit and get a 1/4 HP (or bigger) if I was going to get just one again.

When mine comes back from repair it will get used often again. It was big enough to power feed rails/stiles in climb cuts which is infinitely handy.

Joe

Rick Fisher
12-26-2008, 1:24 AM
That's a huge step down from a maggi! Its an awkward little feeder, I don't love it but for what it is for it is pretty decent.

The Maggi is still here.. sitting on the shaper.. snickering at it.. in Italian...

I think it will be fine, just need to get used to it. If I had to do it again, I would have gotten a 1/4 hp. Its just for the router table. I was worried that a big one would be too much for the router..

Joe Chritz
12-26-2008, 11:27 AM
I found that setting it up by placing it on a piece of stock about 1/8" thinner than what I am going to feed it helps. I use a 5/8 thick piece for running rail/stile stock. I also adjust it just a shade for any flex so the wheels are hitting correctly.

I really need to get it into get repaired, I miss it already.

Joe