PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Creeker Visit

Dewey Torres
12-25-2008, 10:48 AM
Yesterday was a great day. I was able to meet and talk with a fabulous Creeker Mike Holden and his wife Becky.
We went to lunch and then to his shop where we began to talk and time just flew by. I embarrassed my self trying to learn to use his Gamercy saw (and other English saws including the LN) We talked about Period furniture (clearly his forte). He shared some great ideas with me that I plan to take back to my shop. Mike was the first Creeker I met outside of Colorado Springs and I have to say; I need to do more of it. Heck I feel as if I know about 500 of you anyway.
Mikes basement workshop was small and he has done plenty to make it extremely functional. He has a very impressive collection of hand tools and I got to see first hand his 5 Pennsylvania Spice Boxes. They were really nice to say the least and the hand cut dovetails were splendid. I also noted that he didn’t post a good pic of the dovetails so I took a pic. Throughout his house were some of his works including some hand carved queen an specimens which I failed to take pics of. I may have even gained inspiration to try it myself.
Thanks again for having me Mike.
Walt Caza, sorry we couldn’t make it work this time. You will have to hang on to my winnings.

Steve Schlumpf
12-25-2008, 11:36 AM
Always good to hear when fellow Creekers get a chance to spend some time together! Thanks for the photos Dewey - really showcases some of John's beautiful work!

Dennis Peacock
12-25-2008, 4:15 PM
Dewey,

Congrats to you both for getting to meet and share time with each other. I've met many Creeker's and other forum related woodworkers from many parts of the country. I wouldn't trade _any_ of them for any amount of money. Pure gold are the hearts of the Creeker's and woodworkers that I've met in the last several years.

John Keeton
12-25-2008, 4:51 PM
Dewey, my wife and I (and some other creekers) had the pleasure of sharing a meal with Mike and Becky during the Berea Woodworking in America event. Notwithstanding that he is a "Michigander" as we kidded him, they are fine people - both very talented and great company.

Glad you all shared some time and stories.

Jim Becker
12-25-2008, 6:40 PM
'Creeker visits are just great!!!

Walt Caza
12-28-2008, 10:45 AM
Creeker visits can be awesome!
Thanks Dewey for sharing your visit with us.
Great pics of Mike's work, nice bonus touch.
Good show guys.

Sorry we could not connect this time, Dewey.
Better luck next time.
I will not only hold on to your fabulous prizes.....
I insist that they accrue appropriate interest, as well!

So now you're in for pop and chips, plus a Halloween bag of
mini chocolate bars, of your choosing!

Great hospitality from Mike and Becky.
Sweet handcut DT's Mike.
Glad to hear about your vist,
be well,
Walt