PDA

View Full Version : need help with first (of many) table top glue ups

jonathan robin
12-25-2008, 10:24 AM
I will be building medium to large table tops, many will need to be glued up. Made a simple 3/4" wall bar clamp system that I thought might help and stay out of the way. The "challenge" seems to be the natural edge walnut lumber I'm using. Did a dry run a couple of days ago with two small planks. Even with just these two planks, I'm not able to keep the faces flat as I tighten the clamps. It has been suggested that I try some rubber gasket material at the clamping positions - which I'll try next.
I've been thinking about a Festool Domino for this and other furniture building needs. Seems like it might help keep these faces flat.
I've attached a couple of pics of my first dry run attempt. Was planning to place bar clamps on the front in between each back bar clamp, but tried these Rockler clamps here. This seems like it should be simple, but not so far. Any help would be appreciated.

Jamie Buxton
12-25-2008, 11:17 AM
Generally, cupped panels means your edge-jointing techique could use improvement. Here's a description of what to do.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=673911&postcount=7

Joe Chritz
12-25-2008, 3:19 PM
Is this a long term deal or just making a bunch one time? There are panel clamps that are a bit pricey but time is money when it comes to doing some things.

Cauls will help, the pipe clamps can tweek the boards out of flat sometimes, try less pressure and switching clamps on opposite sides every other one.

I do all my glue ups with K-bodies and since haven't had any problems.

Joe