PDA

View Full Version : JET JFM-5, 1 HP Closed Stand Floor Mortiser

Kieran Kammerer
12-25-2008, 9:02 AM
Anybody own this mortiser. It does not appear to have any hold downs. I wonder if the side clamp/screw clamp exerts enough pressure to keep the wood from lifting up as the chisel is withdrawn? Thanks. Kieran

jim sauterer
12-25-2008, 9:42 AM
i got one with the great cashback and rebates.just playing around to make a mortise the piece did pull up.i just cranked down on the vise and it stayed in place i am thinking about a piece of wood screwed to the fence with a piece of sandpaper glued to it.hope this helps jim.merry christmas.

Andrew Nemeth
12-25-2008, 9:50 AM
Kieran,

I just purchased this mortiser as there have been really great bargains on this machine this year. Do a search through this forum for additional info. I ended up paying around $300, after rebates, for the JFM-5 delivered!!!

As for the machine itself, it is the old powermatic 719 (before the 719T) with a new paintjob. The sliding table with the front clamp is far superior to the hold downs used on most benchtop machines. I have only run a few test joints through mine since I recieved it (2 weeks ago) but it is most certainly a quality tool.

Kieran Kammerer
12-25-2008, 12:28 PM
Thanks Jim and Andrew. So far I can get it down to about $350 ($500 with 150 in rebates) plus shipping. I have been looking at the PM benctop mortiser. Current Jet deal seems too good to pass up.

Thanks,

Kieran