PDA

View Full Version : Magazine question

aurelio alarcon
06-17-2004, 2:17 AM
Are Woodsmith and Shopnotes the same magazine, or are they distinct from one another? I know that they are, in fact, physically two different magazines, but are they different when it comes to content each month? Is subscribing to one just like subscribing to the other?

Jim Becker
06-17-2004, 6:29 AM
They are published by the same folks (August Home), are simliar in format, but have different focus. ShopNote largely revolves around projects "for" the shop, for example.

John Strait
06-17-2004, 8:06 AM
Like Jim said, Shopnotes is more shop jig project oriented than Woodsmith. They are totally different. I prefer Shopnotes over Woodsmith mainly because of the shop projects and would choose it over Woodsmith in a heartbeat.

john

Wes Bischel
06-17-2004, 9:58 AM
Jim and John hit the nail on the head. The only other thing I can add is when I originally looked into a subscription, the subscription rates were the same as the news stand cover price, so I just bought when I was interested in an issue. Recently they had a card with a lower subscription rate so I ended up subscribing to ShopNotes.

Come to think of it, I don't think I have ever purchased WoodSmith.

FWIW, Wes

David Hayes
06-17-2004, 10:06 AM
I subscribe to both and enjoy both as they are direct, to the point publications. Woodsmith's plans are well done and I have gained several "how to do that" ideas from reviewing the plans. The one thing I like best about Woodsmith is that they often show methods for making design changes to the same piece.

The items typically presented in ShopNotes are full of good ideas for improving your shop and finding less expensive ways of accomplishing repeatable work.

Dave

aurelio alarcon
06-17-2004, 10:30 AM
I recently started a subscription to woodsmith and was thinking about shopnotes. I will probably get both:)

Steve Roxberg
06-17-2004, 2:13 PM
I got three years of Shop Notes recently for $28 dollars and called and they allowed me to get three years of Woodsmith for $30. Much better prices than they normally list.

Haggle, they can give you a deal.