PDA

View Full Version : Opinions of Ryobi 18v cordless Planer

Erik Oerter
12-24-2008, 9:42 PM
Anybody have any experience with the Ryobi 18 volt cordless handplaner? It is the cheap One+ system from the Despot.

Does it work well enough for occasional use to plane doors and whatever?

I know, Festool would be sweet...

Thanks,
Erik

Gary Lange
12-24-2008, 9:52 PM
I have several Ryobi Tools and they work very well. That tool will also work with the Lithium battery and work much longer. I have the drill, 5" Circular Saw, Sawsal, Speed Saw, and the Corner Sander. I also bought a Jigsaw that is corded and it is a beefy little saw and very nice for the money.

Jay Yoder
12-24-2008, 10:17 PM
I have it and it is ok for occasional use, but not much more than that. If i had to use a power planer alot I would probably lean toward a Bosch Corded. Ridgid used to make a spiral planer which was a great idea, not sure if they still do tho. The spiral would definately help for end grain!

Craig McCormick
12-25-2008, 9:09 AM
I have not tried the Ryobi but have tried the corded HF planer and was very pleasantly surprised.

Larry Edgerton
12-25-2008, 9:28 AM
I will second the Bosch corded. A portable planer is not a tool that the cord is a problem, and they consume a lot of power. I have a bosch that I use for hours on end when trimming log homes, and it just keeps running year after year. It has awesome depth control on the fly, something I feel is the most important feature of a portable.