PDA

View Full Version : Jet 1014 headstock bearing question

David Gunn
12-24-2008, 3:29 PM
I just got my Jet 1014 delivered from Amazon (Merry Christmas to me http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowcool.gif ). Now I have a question. There was supposed to be 3 weeks or so before I received my lathe as they were out of stock. Two days after I placed the order, I got an email that the lathe shipped. Well I think I know how I got mine so fast, I think it's one somebody returned. There are some paint chips and the lathe does not appear "factory" new. There is also some yellowish looking something on it, like someone who didn't know what they were doing tried cleaning it.

My main concern is the headstock. If the tension is completely off, with the belt off of the pulley, shouldn't the headstock spin freely? When I try to spin it by hand, it will rotate about 3/4 of a turn before stopping. If I keep turning it, it will spin, but it I try to spin it real fast then let off with my hand, it goes about 3/4 of a turn, then stops. Should it spin more freely? Should I be concerned about this?

Aaron Wingert
12-24-2008, 3:40 PM
Are you sure that you don't have the indexing stops engaged since that lathe has an indexing head? Will it spin when it is turned on?

Was there cosmolene on the lathe? It would look yellowish on Jet's white paint.

Dave Halter
12-24-2008, 3:44 PM
Where did it ship from? Even though Amazon was out of stock they may have had it drop shipped direct from the manufacturer. If so, I doubt that it was a return. You should be able to tell from the tracking or the shipping documents.

David Gunn
12-24-2008, 3:53 PM
The indexing stop is not engaged. It will turn when powered on and I can turn it by hand. It just will not spin freely like I think it should.

I do not know what cosmolene is. ??

The lathe shipped from Amazon, LLC, Plainfield, IN.

Dave Halter
12-24-2008, 4:01 PM
Cosmoline is a rust preventative that they use on firearms, cast iron tools, etc for storage. It is a yellowish, amber color and is like an oily wax. It usually tells you in the setup/assembly portion of the manual what to clean it off with (and what not to use). I think you are to use Kerosene or a tool degreaser.

Dave

Bob Bergstrom
12-24-2008, 5:22 PM
Hook the belt back, start it up, and and either lay you ear on the head stock or the end of a stick with the other end on your ear. Any growling, rattling, scratchy sounds, will tell you about the bearings. All you should here is the hum of the motor!!

Frank Townend
12-24-2008, 6:39 PM
I seem to remember cleaning mine with Mineral Spirits.

Tony Baideme
12-24-2008, 7:40 PM
David, I have a 1014 too that I bought used. It has one noisy bearing, but it is not too bad yet.

I think what you may be experiencing is an over tightened preload on the spindle bearings. It can be easily adjusted.

The chrome handwheel on the outboard end of the spindle is the tensioning part of the spindle. It has two allen setscrews locking it to the spindle shaft. Back those setscrews out a enough to free up the handwheel. The handwheel has left handed threads so turn the clockwise (looking at the outboard end of the headstock) about 1/4 turn and again test spin the spindle. You may need to insert a rod in the hole on the spindle shoulder (where the chuck or faceplate fit against) if the handwheel is on real tight. You should feel a good difference withing the first 1/2 or 3/4 turns. If it gets too loose, just turn it counterclockwise some. When you get the spindle to spin freely, re-tighten (snugly but not too tight) the two setscrews to secure the handwheel again and you should be good to go.

Let us know how it works.

Aloha, Tony

David Gunn
12-24-2008, 9:52 PM
I figured it out. I have a bad bearing. I removed the handwheel on the headstock. When I spin the spindle, the bearing near the handwheel does not want to spin. It does not make any noise, but I can tell it's bad. I ran the lathe on full speed for a little bit. It didn't make any odd noises, but the inside is tight to turn. I am going to contact Amazon and see what step to take next.

Thanks for all your help.

Scott Conners
12-24-2008, 11:04 PM
Looks like I'm a bit late, but when I went to the shop this afternoon I remembered this thread and checked on my Jet mini. It spins freely with no belt, but only for perhaps 1-2 revolutions. With a chuck or some wood attached, it'll spin longer, but it definitely isn't free spinning like a skate wheel or similar. The bearings are quiet and smooth. My lathe was bought new in July from Rockler, and I'd say works just fine. It's been this way since day 1, and I haven't had any problems yet.

Bernie Weishapl
12-24-2008, 11:27 PM
My Jet 1220 VS doesn't spin more than 3/4 to 1 turn with no belt. I just bought it a couple of weeks ago at Rockler's. Unless that bearing is froze if you ran it at high speed I would think it would be ok if you didn't hear any grinding or noise. I put my ear on the headstock and all I can hear is a hum.