PDA

View Full Version : Bolted Bench down-pics

Doug Mason
12-24-2008, 12:43 PM
Recently, in a previous thread, I had sought inquiries as to the best option in securing my bench to an extremely uneven concrete floor. I opted to uses angle iron at each of the four legs. Here is a pic of the bench after bolting it down - with the shop assistant included. The bench is not as heavy as it looks--even at 8ft long:
I drilled four holes (on the inside of each of the four legs) using a concrete bit, and into which I inserted threaded adaptors (called "red heads") to accept the bolt. If I ever decide to move the bench, I'll just cover the four holes with concrete.
Here is a close up of one leg. For shims I used a combination of hardwood and some left over shimming material used for the lathe.
And here is a final pic that shows how "out of whack" my shop floor is.
Overall, bolting the bench down has proven very effective and solved my problem of its moving. There still remains a very slight wracking at the top if I utilize alot of force--but it's not a big deal and a different issue from what's being discussed here. In hindsight, I should have done this years ago.

Chuck Nickerson
12-24-2008, 1:01 PM
Oh man. My wife is right, maybe I do need a shop assistant.

Bruce Page
12-24-2008, 1:11 PM
That puppy ain't going anywhere.
Nice job & nice shop!

Larry Edgerton
12-26-2008, 3:50 PM
I hate you organized guys! ;)

John Keeton
12-26-2008, 5:08 PM
Worked out real well. By the way, it would appear your "shop assistant" may actually be the one in charge! Can't start 'em too young in the shop.