PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking things to do in Fort Worth, TX?

Larry Browning
12-24-2008, 9:39 AM
The wife and I are traveling to Fort Worth next week to visit her cousin. I am looking for something to do while they visit and shop. I know there is a Woodcraft there, but was wondering if maybe I could get some other recommendations for other woodworking related stuff to do. Maybe a Creeker visit? Other stores? I can't go crazy with shopping, as the wife will probably be doing that. Plus, we a taking a small car, so buying wood or anything big is pretty much out. But I can sure look and would really love to meet a creeker and take a shop tour.

Lyndon Graham
12-24-2008, 10:04 AM
If you are in Old Town Fort Worth (near the stock yards), consider stopping at this furniture store and poking around. I am interested in what kind of wood this guys uses:

http://www.riosinteriors.com/

Here is the thread I posted on this earlier:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=99660

Steve Jenkins
12-24-2008, 3:29 PM
I'm not in Ft. Worth but if you feel like a drive I'm just east of Mckinney. Probably about an hour. Have a good trip. My website is listed if you click on my name above.
that would be an hour from Ft. Worth.

Jim Becker
12-24-2008, 6:21 PM
Yea, visit with Steve!!! I've always enjoyed spending time with him...great craftsman and warm host. (Yea, I know, Steve...it's been awhile. But I really haven't been to the DFW area in some time for who knows what reasons)

Jim O'Dell
12-24-2008, 6:50 PM
I'm in Fort Worth. Would love another creeker visit. I do work during the day west of town. Would be up to a meal out in the evening. What part of town will you be staying in?
Don't really know of much woodworking related stuff here. Definitely visit the Stockyards. Lots of cowboy specialty type stores there. I haven't been there is years myself. I think they still have a small herd of Longhorns they drive through the streets each day. Not sure of the time. Yes, there is a Woodcraft here on the west side of town on I-30. Rockler is in south Arlington on I-20, about 30 minutes away. The water garden is kind of neat down town. But it is a quick in and out type visit. There is a sawmill up in Sanger, about an hour plus away. They have a retail shop of local artisan's wood workings on site. If your wife ends up going to Granbury for shopping, (about 45 min south of town, antiques and such) there is a store just off the down town square called the Wagon Wheel, IIRC. Some neat wood furniture and stuff to look at, and really nice people.
I'll try to drum up some other ideas. Jim.

Jim O'Dell
12-25-2008, 10:09 PM
Just drove past Sanger on the way to OK for Christmas, and it is about 50 minutes from Ft. Worth.
Also, forgot about Cabellas...not woodworking, but an amazing place to walk through, even if you don't need anything!! It's out by Alliance Airport, about 15 min north of Ft. Worth. Jim.

Martin Shupe
12-25-2008, 11:49 PM
I second the Sanger suggestion, especially if you like mesquite.

Larry Browning
12-26-2008, 7:29 AM
I'm in Fort Worth. Would love another creeker visit. I do work during the day west of town. Would be up to a meal out in the evening. What part of town will you be staying in?

Jim,
Sorry I have not replied to your post, but have been doing the Christmas thing with the family and haven't had much time for SMC the last few days.
We will be coming down on Saturday and staying thru Monday or Tuesday. Anytime Sunday or Monday would be fine with me. I'm not sure what part of FW we will be staying at, but I do have directions to where we are going. One of the last intersections is Hulen and Granbury Rd. Do you know where that is?
I have a GPS unit. So maybe you could send me a PM with your phone and address and I could figure out what to do from there.

Larry Browning
12-26-2008, 7:38 AM
I'm not in Ft. Worth but if you feel like a drive I'm just east of Mckinney. Probably about an hour. Have a good trip. My website is listed if you click on my name above.
that would be an hour from Ft. Worth.
Steve,
We will be going though Mckinney going and coming, so maybe we can stop by on the way home. Saturday weather looks pretty bad, plus we are expected in Ft worth by early to mid afternoon, so I think coming back might be a better choice for me. (Tues or Weds) Will you be available Mid morning on either of those days? I sure would like to stop by to meet you and see your shop.

BTW: I noticed that the directions link on your shop tour page seems to be broken.

Kelly C. Hanna
12-26-2008, 10:36 AM
Hi Larry,

You might want to slide by my favorite hardwood 'yard'. Barney Robinson Hardwoods is by far the least expensive hardwood dealer in the DFW area. It's on the corner of Beach street and Lancaster [2500 Lancaster is the street address] one block or so south of I30. It's maybe 6-7 minutes east of downtown.

Good idea to go by Steve's....you'll love his shop and he's a great host!

Michael Faurot
12-26-2008, 12:56 PM
A visit to Dowd's Vintage & Antique Tools (http://www.dowdstools.com/) in Garland (http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=garland,+tx&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl&oi=property_suggestions&resnum=0&ct=property-revision&cd=1) would be well worth the time. This isn't a store in the traditional sense so you can't just go there, you will need to contact Lynn or Tracy Dowd first to arrange a time to stop by.

Jim O'Dell
12-26-2008, 1:11 PM
Jim,
Sorry I have not replied to your post, but have been doing the Christmas thing with the family and haven't had much time for SMC the last few days.
We will be coming down on Saturday and staying thru Monday or Tuesday. Anytime Sunday or Monday would be fine with me. I'm not sure what part of FW we will be staying at, but I do have directions to where we are going. One of the last intersections is Hulen and Granbury Rd. Do you know where that is?
I have a GPS unit. So maybe you could send me a PM with your phone and address and I could figure out what to do from there.

That intersection is about 20 minutes away. Hey, that close, you need to go see the Harbor Freight store.:D Just kidding. I'll pm my number and address. I think I will actually be cleaning up the shop this weekend and throwing out cut pieces of OSB that are in the way. I work Sat and Mon, so Sunday would be fine. Jim.

Steve Jenkins
12-26-2008, 2:08 PM
Larry, I expect to be here most all the time. If you want to give me a call I can give you directions or I can email them which ever you like.

Jim O'Dell
12-28-2008, 3:00 PM
Well, Larry just left after a very enjoyable visit. We got to spend about an hour and 45 minutes standing around in my unheated shop talking about tools, shop buildings, and projects. Could have talked for another couple hours.
Steve, I understand he will be coming by your way for a visit on his way home. Enjoy the time you have together.
My wife was not here to take a picture and my camera doesn't appear to have a timer. Larry's did, so we set it up on my tripod and got one picture, with both of us wearing our SMC hats!! Larry will try to post it this evening if he can, but if he has to wait until he gets home, the proof of the meeting will be posted! Jim.