PDA

View Full Version : Christmas eve confession and does this sound like an OK fix?

Don Morris
12-24-2008, 8:34 AM
I woke up at 4:00am because I was worried if I didn't, I wouldn't get a 4 leg bedside end table I was doing and have it finished by Christmas eve. LOML wanted it temporarily for an empty spot in the family room. So it's going to be on display. The top, trays, and drawer are all mahogany. It's all stained brown mahogany and everything was coated with 4 coats of General's wipe on poly. I put the brass knob on the pull out tray, and the brass handle on the drawer, mortised in hinges for the top for access to the tray. When I put the tray and drawer in my heart fell to the floor. Yes, I must have looked at the wrong line on the ruler. The Brass 5/8" tray knob was lined up at 7" instead of 7 1/2". Unless your standing on one foot, it's obvious the center of the handle is in the center of the drawer, but the knob is 1/2" to the right of the middle of the handle. And the tray is only a couple inches above the handle. So by tonight I've got to have it fixed! Here's my plan: The back of the tray has wood that's finished but won't be seen. Chisel out a piece and sand a plug to fit the 5/32" drilled hole I put in the wrong place. Tap it gently in, aligning the grain without disturbing the finish. Recoat the surface. Or maybe sand a little and recoat? Hurrys guys, I admit it, I did a dum dum. I always measure twice, I thought. Any other ideas or help will be most greatly appreciated. And yes, she's seen it. The look I got was not good. I lost a lot of respect. I'll probably remake the tray if it doesn't turn out. If it wasn't for the rush she never would have seen it.

Prashun Patel
12-24-2008, 8:49 AM
I think what you're suggesting will work fine.

Some other thoughts:
Can you get a two-screw handle or wider pull instead of a knob (see attached). That way, the booboo hole will be obstructed.

Dell Littlefield
12-24-2008, 8:59 AM
How about getting a brass escutcheon plate to put behind the knob, covering the hole? Fill the hole with a shellac stick? Make a mahogany escutcheon?

Chris Ricker
12-24-2008, 9:03 AM
How about a small, temporary escutcheon to cover the misplaced hole and the new one?
You could make it the shape of a biscuit jointer biscuit, if that matches your style, small enough to cover the hole. make it out of the same wood and a quick finish with the help of the hair dryer and you should be OK. After the holidays when you're not so rushed you can try other remedies.

Remember that the mark of a great craftsman is not so much how well he performs his craft but, how well he covers his own mistakes:)

Don Bullock
12-24-2008, 9:49 AM
Bingo! Without knowing exactly what "style" table you made it sounds like an escutcheon plate, wood or metal would be my first solution too. It would be fairly easy and quick. No refinishing necessary. Since I'm working on more of an Arts & Crafts style an extra "decorative" plug here and there wouldn't be a design problem in a case like yours. Good luck.

Don Morris
12-24-2008, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the quick response. On the way to Woodworkers club to look for escucheon. Great ideas!!! If can't find one will try to chisel a piece from back of tray or cut a biscuit and stain it. A new tray is on the horizon if the repair doesn't look good though.

Jim W. White
12-24-2008, 1:03 PM
How about just flipping the tray end for end and using the back for the front? You said the back edge is already finished also, is it hideously ugly compared to the chosen front edge?

Jim in Idaho

Jim Becker
12-24-2008, 1:14 PM
Yes, that is a very reasonable plan to fix the problem.

David DeCristoforo
12-24-2008, 1:20 PM
Personally, I think you should just relax. Move the knob to the center and stop the extra hole with some color putty. You can probably get it close enough that no one will notice. Then after Christmas, you can work up a more permanent fix.

Pete Bradley
12-24-2008, 2:53 PM
Tough one. The escutcheon is a good call. Nicer, if you can do it fast enough, is a matched plug. I would not take it out of the finished piece though. I'd finish a piece of scrap to match and cut from that.

There's nothing to lose respect over here. You're making a gift with your own hands that the vast majority of the population could not. Everyone from rank amateurs to pros make mistakes. Take your time, get the fix right, and a month from now it won't seem like a big deal at all.

Apologies if this is really obvious, but don't wipe a lot of stain on the patch or plug once it's in place or it will greatly accentuate the boundary of the plug. If you must, a careful wipe of the top surface with a Q-tip would be about the most you could get away with.

Merry Christmas!

Pete

Joe Chritz
12-24-2008, 3:31 PM
It isn't screwed up until you can't fix it. All the above will work well.

Joe

Simon Dupay
12-24-2008, 3:57 PM
I would try the burn-in stick first and then the plug if that didn't work, good luck and merry Christmas!