PDA

View Full Version : Krylon mirror spray

sal shepherd
12-24-2008, 1:28 AM
Has any one seen or used this spray? They say you can spray on plain glass the back . It tacks up in 10 min and fully dried in 1 hr. A 6oz. can will set you back $10.60 us. The site I found it on www.nationalartcraft.com (http://www.nationalartcraft.com)

Can we laser engrave it????

Darren Null
12-24-2008, 1:53 AM
It only does 7 sq.ft. Be cheaper to buy the mirror, I would have thought. And it says "mirror-like effect".

Mind you, you could burn masks for some quite funky pieces if the finish is OK.

Bill Morrison
12-24-2008, 2:12 AM
How do you know which side is the back of plain glass?? I do a lot of items using mirrored acrylic, doing some quick math it's almost the same price using 5 cans of the krylon as it would be to buy a 4X8 sheet of acrylic. It's a consistent finish and it's laserable. I know it doesn't answer your question but I'd have to agree with Darren. If I were doing just one item I'd buy a mirror rather than use something that may or may not work. Just MHO.

Bill

Dan Hintz
12-24-2008, 9:33 AM
what type of finish are you looking for? If you want a true mirror finish that you can see a reflection in, spray paint (at least the kind you can buy without a small home loan) is never going to come close to a mirror's silvered finish. If you want a chromish-looking glint to something, then the paint is a relatively inexpensive way to go.

Scott Challoner
12-24-2008, 10:05 AM
I bought a can a year or so ago. I thought it might work on acrylic. It didn't. I tried it on glass too and it didn't work very well. You have to spray on several coats and it never really seemed to look very good at all. Very blotchy. I agree with the others... I would just buy acrylic or glass mirrors.

sal shepherd
12-24-2008, 9:15 PM
well the verdict is in, I will take all of your advice and say no to this product. This company also has a oil base fill. In a variety of metalic finishes. Well thanks for now.

Lisa Walter
12-25-2008, 1:12 PM
Has any one seen or used this spray? They say you can spray on plain glass the back . It tacks up in 10 min and fully dried in 1 hr. A 6oz. can will set you back $10.60 us. The site I found it on www.nationalartcraft.com (http://www.nationalartcraft.com)

Can we laser engrave it????

While we are on the subject of mirrors, they seem to be my toughest job. Every mirror has a different level of coating on it, even when you use mirrors from the same batch!! I have a friend who works for a restaurant and she wanted a good size mirror made for her boss with his restaurant on it. I thought, great! If he hangs that in his business, then people will be asking where he got it. I am ashamed to tell you how many mirrors I went through and the last one that I sent with her, I am ashamed of! I am my worst critic for sure......the one mirror I burned through at a pretty heavy setting. We painted the back black. Most of the mirror looked awesome!! The bottom right hand corner was pretty faintly burned. So I got out another mirror. I lasered with the same strong settings, then lasered over it again with a little bit lighter setting. Painted it black and it looked WORSE than the one before it! How the heck is that possible? The only thing I can think of is that depth of the paint on the mirrors was different. They were the same mirrors, bought at the same store at the same time. I also saw some light banding lines through some of the mirror. What is that from? Everything was clean in the laser.......was I trying to go too deep at once? It was not apparent through the whole photo, just at certain parts where it was a good sized solid area that was lasered. I am almost ready to tell people I don't do mirrors because I am so frustrated with them. One thing I did do for a few gifts, was lasered some photos onto flat glass and mounted the glass in a frame with a black background. I think I like that much better.......

Lisa

Marc Myer
12-26-2008, 12:27 AM
I don't believe any product that claims a 'mirror-like' or 'chrome' finish in a can, and I've tried every one that comes around. They don't get even remotely close to what we would want.
This has been a focus of mine for at least ten years now. Mirrored surfaces and reflective 'chromed' finishes are much the same principle. The technology just does not exist to get that from a can as yet. If it did, it would revolutionize my business of making custom chromed emblems, and some of my suppliers would suddenly go out of business.
While progress has been made, reflective/chromed/mirrored surface from a can still is a dream, kind of like taxes creating prosperity.