PDA

View Full Version : Shipping from Amazon question

John Miliunas
06-16-2004, 8:12 PM
Sure, I've ordered a number of things from Amazon, the largest of which was my CMS. Typically, fast shipping, well-packed, etc... But NOW, I'm looking at ordering a REAL piece of shop equipment, which will just slightly exceed the UPS limits. (Only by about 350lbs. or so, but still....) :rolleyes:

Anyhow, what's been the experience with Amazon's logistics on shipping large items? I'm NOT a business with a loading dock and the road in front of the house is a state highway, not some residential street with limited traffic. Previous large deliveries from Laguna and such, were transferred to smaller carriers with straight trucks and liftgates. I don't know if Amazon would include something like that with their "free shipping" or not. Anybody with a bit more info on this? Appreciate it! :cool:

Tony Sade
06-16-2004, 8:24 PM
John-The one non-UPS (or USPS) delivery I got from Amazon was a 6" Jet jointer. I remember I went to the Fed Ex facility in town-about a 10 minute ride-to pick it up. I can't remember why I picked it up, as opposed to having them deliver it. I suspect they tried a delivery when I wasn't home and the simplest thing for me at the time was to go get it myself.

I don't recall any indication from Amazon that I could arrange delivery, or a lift gate or anything like that.

Sorry that my CRS keeps getting worse. HTH,

Thomas Canfield
06-16-2004, 8:58 PM
I purchased a Delta 6" Jointer from Tool Crib (telephone order to make sure of rebates and discount) that was delivered by tailgate truck and dropped on my driveway. It really was much easier than trying to pick it up at the freight office and try to unload it myself. My shop is located in my back yard and accesible only by hand truck which makes moving large items difficult. The actual truck delivery was much faster than they told me when ordering. I have had good success with orders from Amazon with delivery and minimal damage has been quickly addressed. My last purchase was a Beisenmeyer fence that arrived 2 days ahead of promised date, and the damaged end plactic cap was replaced by Beisenmeyer when they sent the switch adapter bracket. I plan to order more with the special deals, free shipping, and no sales tax.

Mark Singer
06-16-2004, 9:04 PM
John,
My jointer, planer, drill press were all from Amazon and with free shipping, no tax and no problem. My driveway is 500 feet long and the driver pusher it on a hand truck or pallet jack! I think the used Consolidated Freight for one machine. The joinr is a DJ 20 so it was probably 450 pounds or so. The drill press and planer were large also.Very good service and I couldn't beat the price. Another thing I do is drive my Tundra to the street and they load it in and then I drive it in and unload with a buddy or two...couple of beers...Laker Game...Scratch that last idea

John Miliunas
06-16-2004, 9:34 PM
unload with a buddy or two...couple of beers...Laker Game...Scratch that last idea

What's a "Laker"?! :eek: (Sorry...Couldn't resist. :o ) So, how do you like your DJ-20? LOML just told me to, "Go for it!", and who the heck am I to argue?! :rolleyes: From everything I've read and heard, as well as a very positive report from our own "Mr. Delta" (John Weber), I think this is the one I'm going to go with and the main purpose of this thread's question. As I understand it, the extended infeed table and the way it's mounted, is far superior to most Taiwan/China clones. What say you, oh wise one? :cool:

Chris Padilla
06-16-2004, 9:35 PM
MiniMax. :)

Brian Bischoff
06-16-2004, 9:58 PM
John,

Several years ago, I ordered a Jet cabinet saw from Amazon. One of their shipping choices was 3rd day air (FedEx) for $25. With that option they always deliver it on a small straight truck with a lift gate. Worth every penny in my opinon. If they still offer it, I would recommend it.

Brian

John Miliunas
06-16-2004, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the replies and insight, gentlemen! Guess I'll be giving them a call in the morning. I do have an alternate plan if they can't do the straight truck/lifgate thing. It's just a bit more hassle. BTW Chris, Amazon doesn't sell MM! :cool:

John Weber
06-16-2004, 10:14 PM
G0! GO! GO!

It only hurts once...

John

Mark Singer
06-16-2004, 10:31 PM
John,
I am very happy with the DJ20...I like the long infeed table. One person can handle a 10' hardwood board reasonably well. It is very easy to set up. And very easy to change blades. I just have one set. I sharpen them on the Tormek and pop them back in. I just lay a good true level or square and get them flush with the outfeed table. The DJ 20 has a default setting for the "last pass" After you take heavy cuts you can end it with a final light pass. This cleans up some of the marks and if there is a bit of roughness. I still take a hand plane to it. You can adjust the depth of the default to your preference. I had the 6"Jet before this and there is no comparison. I think the DJ 20 is 1 1/2 hp which is plenty even for face jointing. It is so dependable, I don't even think about it and I have never had the urge to upgrade. The Euro boys are nice but are more Euros and shorter beds typically. Dust collection is great!

Jim Becker
06-17-2004, 6:34 AM
As I understand it, the extended infeed table and the way it's mounted, is far superior to most Taiwan/China clones.
The DJ20 uses a parallelogram mechanism for the infeed table adjustment (as does my FS350). This design keeps the end of the table closest to the knives at the same distance from the knives. On most jointers, the gap varries. This feature is one of the main reasons this particular jointer enjoys the price it commands.

larry merlau
06-17-2004, 8:45 AM
[QUOTE=John Miliunas]What's a "Laker"?! :eek:

its a greasy skinned fish right:) one from the cool waters of paridise:)or they sometimes have an alias of (losers this year):)

Russ Filtz
06-17-2004, 10:23 AM
When I ordered my contractor saw from Tool Crib, it came Consolidated Freight on a full 65-foot semi-truck! Only thing on the truck running through neighborhood streets, really kind of stupid. Plus it had no lift-gate and the driver wasn't going to help lift it off! Had to get a couple friends and take off work to unload myself. Big hassle, but worth it for the saw.

Boyd Gathwright
06-17-2004, 10:49 AM
John,

With all my purchases from “Amazon.com”, having exceeding weights there was a charge of Twenty dollars ($20.00) or so, if I didn’t have facilities to off load. In practice, Mr. ABF arrived with a forty-foot or shorter trailer and made friendly, short work of his lift gate.

Unless things have changed recently, you should be happy with the delivery. But I agree with Chris.

Boyd :)

Sure, I've ordered a number of things from Amazon, the largest of which was my CMS. Typically, fast shipping, well-packed, etc... But NOW, I'm looking at ordering a REAL piece of shop equipment, which will just slightly exceed the UPS limits. (Only by about 350lbs. or so, but still....) :rolleyes:

Anyhow, what's been the experience with Amazon's logistics on shipping large items? I'm NOT a business with a loading dock and the road in front of the house is a state highway, not some residential street with limited traffic. Previous large deliveries from Laguna and such, were transferred to smaller carriers with straight trucks and liftgates. I don't know if Amazon would include something like that with their "free shipping" or not. Anybody with a bit more info on this? Appreciate it! :cool:

Jerry Olexa
06-17-2004, 3:52 PM
Speaking of the Lakers..... I believe they are now home in LA sulking over the recent results and figuring who to blame. Sorry couldn't resist . Even Woodworkers are sometimes mean! Enjoy your new heavy tool. Jerry

John Miliunas
06-17-2004, 10:07 PM
Thanks for all the replies, gentlemen! I decided to just forget it and go ahead and order one of those monster Felder units, instead! What the heck, right? :D Wrong! It's NOT like as if I live in San Jose or something like that, 'ya know! :rolleyes: But, I did pull the trigger on the DJ-20 (non-x5 unit) and the mobile base. :) Having heard of some people getting "stung" when ordering on-line (units showing as "available", but turn up on "backorder"), I got on the horn to them. Both, the jointer and mobile base are "in stock"! Yipeee! Then, MORE good news: The catalog shows the unit at $1299.00. Their Web site shows it at $1250.00. The guy taking the order honored the Web price. Plus, when I first called, there was a message telling me to be sure and find out about the $50.00 discount for orders over $250.00 and something about a Delta discount for a "Father's Day Special". That gave me another 5% discount! All in all, I saved $115.00 big ones! :D

Oh, and I resolved the shipping logistics, as well. There's a heavy equipment reseller on the main highway, about 3 miles from us. I stopped and talked to the guy over there today and asked if it would be possible for him to accept a shipment on his dock for me and what it might cost me. His answers were acceptable: "Yes." and "Nothing"! :D I have an open trailer I can put it on and our neighbor has a skid-steer with forks, which he said I can use "anytime"! :) Gee, for the "Bad Luck Club" poster boy, I ain't doin' too bad! :) Thanks again for all the input and yes, I'll post pics when I get the unit setup. :cool:

Mark Singer
06-18-2004, 12:08 AM
John,
Great price! I love Amazon....they always have some incentive. I think you will really like the DJ 20, it is a solid well designed machine.

John Miliunas
06-18-2004, 12:28 AM
John,
Great price! I love Amazon....they always have some incentive. I think you will really like the DJ 20, it is a solid well designed machine.

Yeah, I've gotten some pretty nice deal through them in the past. As for the DJ-20, I have yet to even lay hands on one in person! I've relied heavily on feedback from folks I know and trust, primarily here at SMC! :) You guys have always steered me in the right direction and I trust this will be equally as positive. I'll let you know the verdict, once I recieve and set it up. :cool:

Scott Coffelt
06-18-2004, 11:05 AM
I ordered the Jet 6" cabinet jointer and it arrived in 2 days via FedX Ground. Arrived on a pallet, they contacted me to come and pick up in their facility (no big deal as it was about 5 minutes from my house) Not sure if they had an option to deliver or not like Grizzly does. I got the Jet for $425 delivered a few years back, I couldn't (and still can't) believe it arrived so soon.

Chris Padilla
06-18-2004, 12:58 PM
Good for you, John! We love to hear about great deals and saving money...more to spend on wood! :D

Dave Richards
06-18-2004, 3:03 PM
John, you've had a lot of responses and by now probably got the DJ-20. Still, I'll let you know what I experienced. I got both my TS and 16"BS through Amazon. Both times the delivery company called a day in advance to coordinate delivery. The driver called the day of delivery to confirm I was ready for him and when he showed up, he rolled the crate off with a lift gate. He even pulled it up my driveway from the street and deposited it in my garage er shop. The guy who delivered the bandsaw insisted on helping me stand it up. He even had the box open before I could get a utility knife. He stood it up and admired it before he left.

So far nothing but good experiences for me.

Now, in your case, that big tree might have to go. :D No, I forget, the driver can back up past the tree on the south side.

John Miliunas
06-18-2004, 3:53 PM
Now, in your case, that big tree might have to go. :D No, I forget, the driver can back up past the tree on the south side.

Dave, I'm taking the "safe" route on this one. It's being drop-shipped to the place down the road and I'm picking it up from there. You're right about that stupid tree, though! Actually, it's really a neat lookin' piece of lumber, but just in the wrong place! I think we're going to hack off that lopsided trunk, which sticks way out into the driveway. And you can forget about the "south of the tree" entrance now, too; LOML went and planted some green stuff along the East side of the driveway! :mad: Well, OK, I guess I could still do it, but then I'd be spending quality time in the shop building a new dog house. For me! :eek: Say, BTW, how's Kari and little Ian doing? Any more shop...errrrrr.....house shopping lately? :rolleyes: :cool:

Dave Richards
06-18-2004, 4:13 PM
John, it sounds like your plan is indeed the safe route. It most certainly should keep you from having to build a doghouse anyway. Just don't herniate yerself. BTW, I might be able to loan you an extra dog crate if you find yourself in need. :D

Kari and Ian are doing well. Kari just called after having done a quick trip to LaCrosse for some baby stuff. Ian's growing and become and expert at eating and voiding. Next week I'm going to see about teaching him to mow the lawn and the week after that we'll see about getting him started on solid food. ;) :D

Amazingly, Kari has kind of slowed down on the shop hunting. She talks about it once in awhile but usually she's asking me if I could manage with the shop I have. There have been a few times in the last week when it was raining like crazy that I wished I had a garage but I guess we'll make do.

I think there's now too many projects around the house for us to ever move.

Have a great weekend and good luck with the DJ-20.

Chris Padilla
06-18-2004, 4:23 PM
Dave,

There's nothing like a move to motiviate you to finish all those projects! :)

Dave Richards
06-18-2004, 4:27 PM
Chris, I just wish I could stay awake long enough to do them. Junior manages to interrupt my sleep enough during the night that I'm almost afraid too touch my tablesaw. :(