PDA

View Full Version : special pen

Graham Sugar
12-23-2008, 11:56 PM
Hi all
This is one of a batch of fountain pens that I made for one of our wood gallerys The timber is one of our rare desert timbers called Conkerberry
""
Conkerberry
Carissa lanceolat
Conkerberry grows in small patches in the north west of Queensland, and in the Northern Territory where it is protected. Difficult to collect and handle, its use in wood turning is restricted because of holes up the central stems and the shortness of the workable straight lengths. The orange colour of Conkerberry heartwood is not typical of Australian timbers. It has an attractive creamy sapwood. Australian Aboriginals have used its small edible purple/blue berry for food and medicine.
Wish we had a lot more of it
Regards and the seasons greetings to all
Graham Sugar :D:D

Steve Schlumpf
12-24-2008, 7:20 AM
Graham - Welcome to the Creek!

Beautiful pen! Wonderful color! Wood appears to be very tight grain! Also really like the contrasting sapwood in the second photo! Very nice work! Hope to see more of your turnings real soon!

John Grabowski
12-24-2008, 7:42 AM
I agree...I love the color...You dont find many like that. Very Nice!!

John G

Keith Christopher
12-24-2008, 8:01 AM
Graham,

I like it. Very nice color I also like the sapwood at the top, looks like an intentional feature.

I bet there is 0 of this in the US.....dontcha love when you manage to get something rare like this. :)

Jim Kountz
12-24-2008, 10:21 AM
Very nice, I have never heard of the wood before but I like it!! Good job!!

Bernie Weishapl
12-24-2008, 10:25 AM
Graham welcome to SMC. The pen is a beauty. Really like the wood color. Well done.

Stan Cook
12-24-2008, 10:41 AM
Very nice pen.

Graham Sugar
12-24-2008, 6:58 PM
Steve
thanks for your comments
Conkerberry is the nicest timber that I have ever turned it is very dence ant the grain is that tight that it almost dosen't exist the only broblem is the size of the pices and how hard they are to get My entitre tresure trove is in the attached photo
Regards
Graham Sugar

Graham Sugar
12-24-2008, 7:13 PM
Another interesting timber we have is our vast range of gums the bowl in the pic was made from river red gum and had a major gum inclusion this was well treated with CA prior to turning. the finish is sanded to 1200, EEE and 3 coats of friction pollish
Regards
Graham

Christopher K. Hartley
12-25-2008, 6:21 AM
Nice work Graham, you guys do have some pretty wood over there. Thanks for sharing.:)