PDA

View Full Version : Montgomery Wards tools?

Gary Herrmann
12-23-2008, 9:07 PM
A buddy of mine inherited a few Montgomery Wards tools. His aunt is mailing them to him. I don't have any pics or model numbers, but I told him I'd start nosing around.

It sounds like there is a pistol grip push drill, and egg beater and a post drill. They all sound like they have very little rust and work well. Since I have no facts at this time, I thought I'd start with the basics - does anyone know who made tools for Montgomery Wards? Good quality? Not?

I assume they didn't manufacture their own line of tools, but I know nothing about this brand. Thanks!

John Powers
12-23-2008, 9:14 PM
My Ward Master #4 is a tank. Chrome lever cap I think. My Ward master #45 is I guess a Stanley. Only place it says Wards Master is stamped into the handle. I'll defer to the mavins but I'm guessing they're mostly Stanley. I really like the #4. Don't know about the drilling end of the product line though.

Ron Jones near Indy
12-23-2008, 9:38 PM
I have a Power Kraft (that's the MW tool name) 1/4" electric drill I bought in '69. I'm sure of the date because it corresponds to a relocation and a new job. I still use it today. I also have Ward's sockets, ratchets, combo end wrenches from the same date--never had a problem with any of them. They still look and work like new. Hopefully your friend's tools will be as reliable as mine.

Bruce Page
12-23-2008, 10:25 PM
They're on par with Sears quality. I bought their mechanics set in 1967 and still have most of them today - they are still going strong. They originally came with a lifetime warranty which of course isn’t worth much now. :rolleyes:

Bill Houghton
12-23-2008, 11:23 PM
few to none of the retail outfits made their own tools - Stanley, Sargent, Millers-Falls made them.

I've got a Wards Master No. 4 that's a marvelous tool. I just picked up a Sears duplex rabbet (No. 78 type plane) that's clearly a rebadged Sargent - definitely a step down from a Stanley.

I'd pay more attention to the construction of the tool itself than the label on it.