PDA

View Full Version : Re; Saw Stop

Gene O. Carpenter
12-23-2008, 7:13 PM
Just watched a video on "Time Warp" ch 120 of the Saw Stop and the designer put his finger to the blade..That's either stupid or confident in his product! He said he "didn't even feel the blade touch his finger"!
Has this demonstration been shown before? I know the raw Frank has been worn out it's been shown so many times...
Gene

Larry Edgerton
12-23-2008, 7:41 PM
Most people are hurt in a kickback situation as far as I can tell, and I have seen many injurys in a lifetime of construction. I myself am 1 finger short from one of those moments. Actually I cut the same finger off twice. :)

Anyway...... I have not seen a demonstration of what it does in a kickback. In a kickback you do not have time to let go. You think you do but take my word for it, you don't. So....

If the peice you are working has time to reach full speed, and you can check this by the spacing of the teethmarks on the kickback piece, the finger in question will be traveling into the blade at aprox. 110mph, the average tooth speed on woodworking equipment.

I want to see a test that has the hot dog hitting the blade at 110mph. That will simulate the conditions of a kickback.