PDA

View Full Version : Wow, SawStop on Discovery's Time Warp

Mark Bolton
12-23-2008, 7:09 PM
The inventor of the saw put his actual finger into the blade while being filmed with high speed camera. Not even a visible nick. Unreal. I can see these things in every school woodshop and on countless jobsites.

I know it was TV but it was still freaky.

Mark

David DeCristoforo
12-23-2008, 7:17 PM
This has been discussed several times recently. May I start this one off by saying that I think this is the stupidest thing anyone could possibly do? Product confidence is one thing. But this is just tempting fate. The day is going to come when this unquestionably important advance in safety is going to fail. Sooner or later somehow, somewhere it will happen. I only hope that it's not some meathead thinking that it's OK to stick his finger in the saw blade because he has a SawStop. The idea that this technology makes you "safe" is a delusion. It may make you "safer" but that's a whole different thing. Let's not get carried away here.

Mark Bolton
12-23-2008, 7:31 PM
I couldnt agree more, a false sense of saftey is not a good thing however one saved finger is fine with me. And from a selfish stand point, being in the homebuilding business for much of my adult life, though it thankfully has never happened yet (fingers crossed), I would gladly appreciate anything which will mitigate an injury to one of my guys, the subsequent comp claim, rate increase, and likely law suit.

This would be like bashing air bags because a few kids around the nation think its fun to steal a car and slam it into a tree to get the rush all the while knowing the airbags will save them (true). Of course there is the one time they dont fire, or the car was in a wreck and some hack didnt re-install the airbag, etc. That said, its a great thing that is now implemented across the board. Any and all recklessness is far outweighed by the benefit.

I apologize as I wasnt aware this was a re-run and already covered here, should have done a search. <poking myself in the eye>

Mark

Todd Bin
12-23-2008, 7:36 PM
The question I have is do re-runs count toward the 1 millionth post?