PDA

View Full Version : Unbelievable! 1568 emails in about 6 hours!

Jim Becker
06-16-2004, 7:05 PM
I could not believe it when I found a wireless hot-spot tonight in the hotel and checked my email. Since about 3pm local time, my account was flooded with over 1500 emails; 98% from one account ("Billy Lynn"). This is the result of the most recent virus to hit the 'net, the one that some subjects read, "You've got 1 Voice Mail), etc. Unbelievable. And to top it off, the web-access to my account timed out while I was deleting them. Sheesh!

Dennis Peacock
06-16-2004, 7:14 PM
Jim,

I feel your pain.!!!! At work I delete about 200 junk emails per 8 hour day and that only leaves the 300 "real" business oriented emails that I have to read and respond to on a daily basis. THEN...I go home and have MORE emails to go through on my personal email account.

I just ain't figured out exactly WHERE computers are saving me TIME!!!

Tyler Howell
06-16-2004, 7:16 PM
Gee Jim I knew you were a popular guy but holy electronic highway road kill.

I was visiting John M's fair state on a project and found the communication black hole of the world. No NEXTEL, No Sprint cell, no company long distance, the little bar for dinner wouldn't take any CC. Cash card was NFG at three gas stations & 1 bank. and no internet access. That's the place to be if you want to get away from it all but I had to push this project through and they sent me damaged goods.:o

I think I prefer my location to yours though. Beautiful country side.;)

Jim Becker
06-16-2004, 7:36 PM
At least at home, MailWasher would be helping with this task, but it's not helpful "right now" for me in Edenburgh Scotland on my work PC! Un-#$%^&#-believable.

John Miliunas
06-16-2004, 8:02 PM
Gee Jim I knew you were a popular guy but holy electronic highway road kill.

I was visiting John M's fair state on a project and found the communication black hole of the world. No NEXTEL, No Sprint cell, no company long distance, the little bar for dinner wouldn't take any CC. Cash card was NFG at three gas stations & 1 bank. and no internet access. That's the place to be if you want to get away from it all but I had to push this project through and they sent me damaged goods.:o

I think I prefer my location to yours though. Beautiful country side.;)

What "communication black hole"???!!! :eek: Sheeesh...I enjoy looking at the countryside plenty when I go to make a phone call and even on the rare occassion when I decide to answer it. I'm gettin' downright good at climbin' that there pole! :D Communication black hole, my foot! :) :rolleyes: :cool:

Tim Morton
06-16-2004, 8:05 PM
I hate to say it, but if you were to buy a "mac" you wouldn't be dealing with any of this. I get about 2 or 3 junk mails a week, both at home and at work :cool:

John Miliunas
06-16-2004, 8:24 PM
Tim, while it's true that Mac's currently experience less issues with virus-type emails, but "spam" is NOT exclusive to the Windows user. We have many Mac users on campus who constantly complain about "way too much spam" coming their way. Plus, I'll about guarantee that, if even 30 or 40% of current Win users went to the dark side, you too would quickly become part of the "privileged" crowd attracting hacks and viruses. :cool:

Billy Lynn
06-16-2004, 9:43 PM
Jim,

I am very sorry about this...please accept my sincerest apologies.

Billy

Jim Becker
06-17-2004, 6:38 AM
I am very sorry about this...please accept my sincerest apologies.
No problem. "Stuff happens". Do be sure your virus protection is kept up to date and don't open attachments, even from folks you know before you confirm with them personally that they are legitimate or if it is something you were expecting. The social engineering that the nasty folks use with these viruses is so prone to pulling folks in. We all have to take care!