PDA

View Full Version : Hackberry Bowl

Christopher K. Hartley
12-23-2008, 6:35 PM
It has been a bit but thought I would post a few of the works I have had a chance to complete. Hackberry 12 1/2" X 4" Sanded to 600 grit, buffed and spray polly. It was a Hurricane Ike tree. It developed a crack thus the woodburned leaf on each side ( need much more skill here but not to bad for a sodering iron.):)

Bill Bolen
12-23-2008, 6:57 PM
Beautiful bowl and I love your "save". Consider yourself copied!!..Bill..
ps...Nice to see 'ya back

Peter Lamb
12-23-2008, 6:58 PM
Super job - lovely form

Nathan Hawkes
12-23-2008, 7:17 PM
It has been a bit but thought I would post a few of the works I have had a chance to complete. Hackberry 12 1/2" X 4" Sanded to 600 grit, buffed and spray polly. It was a Hurricane Ike tree. It developed a crack thus the woodburned leaf on each side ( need much more skill here but not to bad for a sodering iron.):)

You're being modest about the burning. It looks great. It will make someone very happy.

Philip Morris
12-23-2008, 7:56 PM
Nice bowl.

You must have turned it right away...don't see any spalting/staining. Most of the ones I've seen have the staining before they hit the ground.

Christopher K. Hartley
12-23-2008, 8:10 PM
Nice bowl.

You must have turned it right away...don't see any spalting/staining. Most of the ones I've seen have the staining before they hit the ground.
Actually it wasn't turned for more than a year after it was cut. The log set outside all that time. For some strange reason it held good.:)

Steve Schlumpf
12-23-2008, 8:19 PM
Chris - first off, I am thrilled to see you posting again! Welcome back!

Beautiful bowl! Never would have thought of burning something over a crack ....that is great idea! Beautiful finish!

You still turning on 'Beauty'? You have got to take some more photos of her for some of the new folks here and let them know the possibilities that are out there!

Mark Patoka
12-23-2008, 8:54 PM
I like the leaf woodburning. I'll have to try that embellishment on mine sometime.

Bernie Weishapl
12-23-2008, 10:22 PM
Chris good to see ya back posting. That is a beautiful bowl and you did a wonderful burn job with the leaf.

Jim Kountz
12-24-2008, 10:34 AM
Id say you got this down Chris!! And by the way your photo skills are A+ too, I can see how shiney those bowls are yet you kept the glare to a minimum, outstanding job all around!!

Tony De Masi
12-24-2008, 3:16 PM
Chris, regardless of what I think of the turning it's great to see you back at the Creek.

Tony

Christopher K. Hartley
12-25-2008, 6:17 AM
Thanks Guys, It is nice to be back and I hope I get to stick around more this year. I'm getting too old for all this traveling stuff.:)