PDA

View Full Version : Well I’ll be a monkey’s uncle

Bruce Page
12-23-2008, 6:30 PM
It worked!

A few days ago I posted about a cabinet door that toed out at the bottom left corner.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=99332 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=99332)

I received several suggestions from remake the door (waaay too much work in it) to fudging with the hinges (not an option with this cabinet design).
Creekers Jim Kountz & Pat Caulfield both supplied a link to a video fix of the exact same problem.
I used distilled hot water and soaked the entire door twice using a spritzer bottle – each time tweaking the door a little bit more. I left it clamped about 24 hours each time and took the clamps off a few minuets ago – and it worked!
Thanks Jim & Pat!
I am a happy camper!:D:D:D

Chris Padilla
12-23-2008, 6:57 PM
Let's see if it holds for a while...you may have counted your chickens before they hatched! ;)

David DeCristoforo
12-23-2008, 7:02 PM
Yes, this "trick" can work. However, there is no guarantee that the fix will be permanent. There is a good possibility that once the moisture content of the wood regains equilibrium, the warp will return. It's a "crap shoot" but you might get lucky. The most common use of this "technique" is to get the thing looking right so the guy can get paid and get out of Dodge before the doors warp again.

Bruce Page
12-23-2008, 7:35 PM
I'm be keeping my fingers crossed.
I kept the shop at 75 for the last two days so I think what ever surface moisture there was has dried.

If not...all I have to do is sell it to SWMBO.
What am I saying! That's not an easy sell! :eek:

Rick Lucrezi
12-24-2008, 12:21 AM
If I remember right the wood was dry, jointed and planed? Started out straight. So it wants to go back there. Same holds true if its warped to begin with. Ill keep my fingers crossed for you. I know for me any way, life is too short to repeat anything.

Chip Lindley
12-24-2008, 3:11 AM
I believe I recommended building a new door! IF your fix works, GREAT! I hate to make things over too, especially for such a minor discrepancy. But I am cursed with being a perfectionist!

If the bow returns, try clamping the door stile in a reverse direction, reversing the bow. Perhaps the aid of a heat lamp might *cook* the wood into submission!

If all else fails, those *bullet catches* look mighty inviting.

Bruce Page
12-24-2008, 10:30 AM
Well, as of this morning, it has moved a little, maybe a 1/16. If it settles out better than it was, that will tell me that it might be possible to win the battle. I’ll just repeat the process and tweak it a little more each time.
Time will tell

Andrew Minear
12-25-2008, 11:12 AM
Bruce, I had a similar problem with an armoire door. After installing magnetic catches at top and bottom door corners, the warp has been contained for 12 years with that tweak. Good luck.