PDA

View Full Version : Finally Got My Lathe!

Dan Cobian
12-23-2008, 5:24 PM
After much thanks and patience from all of you on this site, I fially picked up my lathe todya from "Dempsey and Co." in Richmond, VA. They were very, very helpful and started it up for me and helped do a quick alignment on the Reeves drive pulley.

Opened it up and the food news is that it is not a Frame 66Y motor as origianlly thought, it was a frame 56YZ (still 220 v / 3 phase / 1 HP) - see picture.

I was directed to a motor place down the street where they sell motors. He had a leftover (new) 1.5 HP / single phase / 110 v motor he sold me for his cost ($140). He even swapped the pulley and wired it for 110V for me. (see picture). Should bolt right in now.

Thanks to all!

Dan Cobian
12-23-2008, 5:28 PM
Just to be sure I don't do any harm. I wanted to verify that I just have to "dead end" the red wire (one of the three phases in the wiring) so that I am not using one of the phases, and am only using three wires (Green= chasis ground, white= common, black= hot).

I will also be bypassing the thermal trips in the wiring panel (these are apparently rated for the 3.6 amps theat the three phase motor would have used).

Is this true?

Christopher K. Hartley
12-23-2008, 7:04 PM
Great lathe Dan. Thanks for sharing.:)

Nathan Hawkes
12-23-2008, 7:22 PM
After much thanks and patience from all of you on this site, I fially picked up my lathe todya from "Dempsey and Co." in Richmond, VA. They were very, very helpful and started it up for me and helped do a quick alignment on the Reeves drive pulley.

Opened it up and the food news is that it is not a Frame 66Y motor as origianlly thought, it was a frame 56YZ (still 220 v / 3 phase / 1 HP) - see picture.

I was directed to a motor place down the street where they sell motors. He had a leftover (new) 1.5 HP / single phase / 110 v motor he sold me for his cost ($140). He even swapped the pulley and wired it for 110V for me. (see picture). Should bolt right in now.

Thanks to all!

Nice score!!!! Where abouts is this motor store?? Just curious. I've got plenty of motors around, but its always good to know where to get parts, info, etc. I'm in Richmond at least once a month.

David Christopher
12-23-2008, 7:33 PM
Dan, thats a pretty good deal on the new motor and if you get a DPDT switch it will also reverse

By the way, very nice lathe

Bob Bergstrom
12-23-2008, 7:44 PM
Thats a good lookin' 450. It appears to be in quite good shape. Take the cover on the head stock off and see if the indexing slots on the back of the drive pulley are stripped out. They are very hard to find and cost close to $150 to replace. If it is good, you really have a winner. If not don't worry about it, just use a 3rd. party indexing setup. It is necessary in order to lock the spindle. I made the mistake once of trying to loosen a stuck chuck with a hammer on the wrench and broke a few out.

Philip Morris
12-23-2008, 7:53 PM
Dan,
Very nice piece of "old arwn"! if you don't get a response to your wiring question here, try a search of www.owwm.com (http://www.owwm.com). A lot of folks there do the motor swap if they don't go with a VFD.

Steve Schlumpf
12-23-2008, 8:28 PM
Dan - congrats on your new lathe! Looks like quite the piece of iron! Sorry, but I am of no assist on the wiring issue. Hope you get her up and running soon!

Bernie Weishapl
12-23-2008, 10:24 PM
Congrats on the lathe Dan. You should be in business now.

Dan Cobian
12-24-2008, 7:42 AM
Thats a good lookin' 450. It appears to be in quite good shape. Take the cover on the head stock off and see if the indexing slots on the back of the drive pulley are stripped out. They are very hard to find and cost close to $150 to replace. If it is good, you really have a winner. If not don't worry about it, just use a 3rd. party indexing setup. It is necessary in order to lock the spindle. I made the mistake once of trying to loosen a stuck chuck with a hammer on the wrench and broke a few out.

Bob,

I did pop open the head stock cover (in fact the guy selling it mad a point to do so) and all looks well. The indexing pin must have some kind of a spring or somethinig that needs adjusting- it moves left and right, but does so almost too freely. Thanks for the info

Dan Cobian
12-24-2008, 7:50 AM
Nice score!!!! Where abouts is this motor store?? Just curious. I've got plenty of motors around, but its always good to know where to get parts, info, etc. I'm in Richmond at least once a month.

Nathan,

The store is called "Roy's Electric Motor Service Inc. (http://royselectricmotor.com/)" I worked with Mike at the counter. He was extremely helpful and patient. He came out to the truck several times to look at what I had to deal with, take measurements andmake recommendations. Finally, we decided that it would be best to remove the motor and measure it that way. The best thing is that once he realzed that I was on a budget, he hooked me up with the motor I ended up with. They were great!

I also did want to give proper credit to Dempsey and Company who are the people I bought the lathe from. If your looking for a Heavy piece of woodworking equipment, these are the people to see. They had several powermatic lathes (not sure if they were 45's or 90's), tens of bandsaws, scroll saws, table saw's, shapers, etc. Aarron and Noell were very, very helpful aswell. They let me just look around and also let me dig through their substantial "motor pile".

Jim Kountz
12-24-2008, 10:27 AM
Nice ol chunk o arn!! Those things were built like a tank and should give you great service!!

Bob Bergstrom
12-24-2008, 10:54 AM
There is no spring. It just slides in and out of the slots. You will find a set screw and lock nut on the front side of the casting holding the slider. That may provide more friction, but I've never messed with it. It has never engaged itself.
When you get it up and running, take a stick and put one end on the headstock casting that holds the bearings. Put the other end of the stick to your ear. If you hear funny noises the bearing probably need replacing. If you not sure there bad, they are probably good enough for a while. Don't buy them from Delta (too expensive). Go to a bearing house. There are guides on the web how to replace them.

Kevin Looker
12-25-2008, 10:44 PM
I assume it's just a manual starter in which case you would only use 2 of the 3 sets of contacts. It should be pretty straightforward.

You will have to either bypass or upgrade the motor heaters since the single phase motor will draw more current than a 3-phase motor.

Enjoy the lathe, it looks nice.

Dan Cobian
12-26-2008, 7:08 AM
Thanks all. Will bypass all existing wiring.