PDA

View Full Version : Jigsaw - Barrel Grip vs Top Handle

Lyndon Graham
12-23-2008, 3:34 PM
I was all set to order the Bosch 1590 with top handle grip and then noticed the 1591 with barrel grip.

What would I want one versus the other?

Thanks

Brad Townsend
12-23-2008, 3:50 PM
I have a barrel grip Bosch of somewhat older vintage. I really like it. I feel like I have very good control. I should point out that I have never had a GOOD jigsaw with a standard grip, so my experience is not well-rounded. One difference is the way the speed is controlled. Mine has a thumbwheel separate from the trigger, so you can't easily change speeds in mid-cut. Don't know how a 1590 or 91 works.

Chris Padilla
12-23-2008, 3:54 PM
Get one in your hands to know...that is the only way. I prefer the barrel-grip.

CPeter James
12-23-2008, 3:55 PM
It depends on the size of your hands. If you have small hands like I do then the top handle is better. If you have large hands, you make like the barrel grip.

CPeter

Dan Clark
12-23-2008, 4:07 PM
+3 on trying it first. I walked into a Festool dealer 100% convinced that the barrel grip was perfect for me. That is, until I picked it up. I walked out with a D-handle.

Let your hand do the talkin'!

Dan.

John Grogan
12-23-2008, 4:25 PM
+4 on try it. I bought the barrel grip and find that it is a little uncomfortable to use. I have to admit that I did not try it before I bought it. That said, it is a great saw no matter which handle you get.

Dan Lee
12-23-2008, 4:46 PM
I have the barrel and like it. It does get a little hot after using it for a while.
I wish it had a variable speed trigger like the top handle in stead it has an on/off switch and speed control dial in the rear.
Like others said if you can test drive both that will help

Bruce Page
12-23-2008, 4:49 PM
I went through the same decision process a few years ago. I went with the top handle because that’s what I have always had… :rolleyes:

Lyndon Graham
12-23-2008, 5:16 PM
I went through the same decision process a few years ago. I went with the top handle because that’s what I have always had… :rolleyes:

that's what I am thinking, but....

Russ Massery
12-23-2008, 5:34 PM
I have both and found the barrel grip easier to control.

Ron Jones near Indy
12-23-2008, 5:40 PM
I agree with the try it, pick it philosophy. Either way you will have an outstanding saw!:):):)

glenn bradley
12-23-2008, 6:21 PM
I prefer the 1591, you may prefer the 1590. I would try to get my hands on one to see how you feel about it. I like the low center of gravity on a 6 lb jigsaw ;-)

Chuck Tringo
12-23-2008, 6:29 PM
I very much wanted a barrel grip until I bought one...loved the grip but didn't like the control, espescially because the power switch was set up for righties, so I had to basically turn it on, get a grip then place it on the work, where as a D handle I can line it up and pull the trigger. The barrel went to flea bay :cool:

Arnold E Schnitzer
12-23-2008, 6:47 PM
I have the barrel-grip Hitachi, and it is diesel. I prefer the barrel-grip in general because you'r hand is closer to the work and the saw seems easier to handle.

David DeCristoforo
12-23-2008, 6:57 PM
In general I prefer a barrel grip. But if you ever use "downcut" blades, the "D" handle will allow you to exert more force on the saw to prevent it from "bucking". You can do this with a two handed grip with a barrel type saw by keeping one hand on the top knob but it's a one hand job with a "D" handle.

Paul Greathouse
12-23-2008, 8:07 PM
The barrell grip may have more control but I can cope crown molding and baseboard with my 1590. If the 1590 has enough control for that, I would think it has enough control for most anything.

I use the down cut blades that David mentioned for coping and have no problem. You just have to be conscious of your feed speed.

Larry Edgerton
12-23-2008, 8:13 PM
I have both and I use the barrel grip with a collins coping foot. The top handle is too hard to use upside down, which is how I use the coping foot, and many other cuts as well.

Pick one?

Barrel grip, it can do the upside down thing that the top handle has a hard time with, and it can do the normal stuff too.

Randal Stevenson
12-23-2008, 11:55 PM
I very much wanted a barrel grip until I bought one...loved the grip but didn't like the control, espescially because the power switch was set up for righties, so I had to basically turn it on, get a grip then place it on the work, where as a D handle I can line it up and pull the trigger. The barrel went to flea bay :cool:

Very good to know about the handedness. Thanks.

Paul Demetropoulos
12-24-2008, 12:57 AM
I also use the Collins coping foot, a great accessory for the jigsaw, and as Larry said, its use with a top handle saw upside down is awkward. If that were the main thing I was using the saw for I'd get a barrel grip; which will also get into some confined spaces the top handle won't.

But I use my jigsaw a lot, really a lot. I think it's a greatly underutilized tool. It'll do most everything a cs will do, albeit more slowly, with much less noise and sawdust, and often a greater degree of safety. It's funny, the more I use it, the more I think to use it.

I've used it for everything from demolition to breaking down rough lumber to fine scroll work. And if you haven't tried the new Bosch T308B "xtra-clean" blades you'll be blown away by how clean they cut.

So all that said, I'm in the camp of you got to try both, some feel they have better control with one or the other. Of course if you don't know anyone whose got a barrel grip how do you try it out? I know my tool supplier won't let you pull one out of the box and take it for a spin, and I've never seen anyone sampling a saw at the HD or Lowes.

Maybe if a woodworking show is coming to town?

Steve Rozmiarek
12-24-2008, 1:25 AM
What the heck, here's $.02 more. The jigsaw was my first tool as a kid, made a lot of pretty intricate toy guns with just a jigsaw. Had a waiting list of "customers". Lots of fun.

I learned with a d handle, but I always wanted a barrel grip, as they just feel more balanced to me. Now that I have tried both, as all the others have said, pick both up. That will be enough.

I wish someone made a barrel grip with a trigger type speed control. Maybe they do? I have the barrel grip Bosch, and I really doubt that there is a significantly better saw out there. D handle speed control would be an improvement, but not that much of one. You can't go wrong with either Bosch, or of course Festool.

Dwain Lambrigger
12-24-2008, 1:39 AM
As said before, try them both, then decide. For me the barrel grip was the winner. Felt much more control being able to hold the body of the saw a little better. It's apples and oranges, as everyone is different. Try them both before buying...