PDA

View Full Version : What HF Stuff Is In Your Shop?

Eric Schniewind
12-23-2008, 2:04 PM
I haven't been in one in a long time, but I just moved and there is one close to me. I'm just wondering what tools might be worthwhile getting here. I appreciate quality but I'm also a bit of a cheapie at the same time.

For instance can't I get a decent vise there, any clamps, or something that just needs to spin like maybe a grinder?

I know I saw a review of a HF jointer that was positive and I gather most creekers prefer to get the most quality they can afford, but I have to believe that there are certain items to pluck out of there.

So, what's in your shop?

Gene E Miller
12-23-2008, 3:05 PM
Greetings & Salutations,

Eric, I have a HF Oscillating Spindle Sander and a Stand that
I have about $100 bucks in. The sander was on sale at $79 and
the Stand for $19.

I can say that except for the fact the table of the sander is a bit
on the small side it has served me well for what I use it for.

I have maybe 20 of their pistol grip clamps in various sizes
and have broken several of them when squeezing the clamps
tight. I basically refrain from using them except for stop blocks
and holding things to the work bench while working. If I try to
glue up something thats usually when I break the trigger on one
of them.

I also have several of their roller stands and they seem to come in
handy and have had few problems except when I stepped on one
of the cross supports on the base, bent like it was copper tubing.

I have a scroll saw that I got on sale there and have used it
once. It seemed to do the job with out much problem but I have
as yet to do very much scroll saw work so I am still with holding
judgment on that one.

I have found that their drills and router bits are inferior in quality
and would rather invest my money in higher quality bits that I know
are going to last.

I think the best value that I got was their rolling tool box along with
2 end boxes and the top tool box. I got the red ones and they all lock,
have plenty of drawers and are of really nice quality. I got them all
on sale for about $1100 and to I am sure if you were to look at
Snap-on it would take thousands to get boxes this size and I was
just up to Lowe's the other day and one about the same size in Kolbalt
is on sale for $2800.

I have one of their 4" angle grinders that I got on sale for $19.99 that
has done an excellent job for what I use it for. Mostly cutting off
bolts and cutting metal siding and such.

I have one of their Paint Spray guns that with my limited experience
in finish spraying has served pretty well. Most of my quick release
air fittings I have gotten from HF as well.

I have also gotten several solid rubber wheels for some of my outside
equipment as well as casters that have held up also.

SO if you pick and choose and determine what you are going to use
something for there are some bargains at HF. I have made up my mind
that if I want something that is going to be in my shop for a long time or
is not a throw away item then I will search and purchase it somewhere
else.

I do however usually make a trip into the one either in Jonesboro
or Memphis every time I go to a Borg store in the same city since I have
to drive over 60 miles to get to either one.

Hope this might give you some insight and help you out.

Gene

Jim Becker
12-23-2008, 3:05 PM
I had an HFT lathe years ago, but otherwise, nothing from there in my shop. Oh, ok...there are some old pipe clamps, but they never worked well. I will not even gift them to someone based on that.

glenn bradley
12-23-2008, 3:11 PM
Well let's not all help him at once! Of the 39 viewers that have hit this thing I guess I will be the first to respond.

*** Before anyone gets their back up, I'm just goofin' on ya. We all know it is a very busy time of year ;-) ***

$10 - heatgun, works great.
$19 - Sawzall, bought to demolish the previous owners garage fixtures . . . it just won't DIE!
$7 plastic digital calipers, are great for jigs 104464 or high risk areas.
$9 face frame clamps, are OK.
$4 hand screws, 104465 are as good as any if you pick through them.
$Priceless - Oh wait, I mean Worthless - almost any cutting tool or device that is supposed to be smooth or accurate ;-)

*** Ooops, spoke too soon, Jim and Gene beat me to the post ;-)]

Ed Hazel
12-23-2008, 3:14 PM
I have had and have several HF tools. The ones that got allot of use have been upgraded to better quality. I still by some HF if I need something for a few uses.

Last summer my wife wanted concrete edging around our house she got a estimate for $1700. My brother and I went in together and bought the HF concreted edger machine for 250 each and did both our houses.

Burt Alcantara
12-23-2008, 3:29 PM
6.5 amp corded drill that has so much torque it makes my wrists hurt. I've used it quite a bit and it keeps on running,
close-quarter drill which is so-so but a lot cheaper then a Sioux,
plastic clamps which are going to the dump,
wood clamps - a real bargain (my cats love the smell of them),
a number of stands - some good, some not (roller stand - good),
lathe tools that I still use but are being replaced,
screw drivers, pliers,
air connectors that leak; air hammer and sander - worthless; air hoses -- too stiff,
iron chisel set which are great,
wrenches of all kinds most of which don't fit all that great but do work.

Probably more stuff in boxes that are somewhere around the shop.
I still shop there tho I'm beginning to wean myself away.

Burt

Jason Hanko
12-23-2008, 4:09 PM
Ive got several of their caster wheels - swivel, with and without locks. They're OK, but Id stick with the fixed and swivel only, the locking ones kinda suck.
I'll second the $10 corded drill with a ton of torque... and mine just won't die, I use it for the mean jobs I dont want to subject my cordless Bosch to.
A few bench brushes ($1 each), mallets ($3 each) and wrenches/screwdrivers (also cheap) that aren't exactly high quality, but do you really need them to be?

I have maybe 20 of their pistol grip clamps in various sizes
and have broken several of them when squeezing the clamps
tight. I basically refrain from using them except for stop blocks
and holding things to the work bench while working. If I try to
glue up something thats usually when I break the trigger on one
of them.

I kind of figured this was going to happen when I bought some of their pistol grip quick clamps... I got 4 of the 12'' ones for $2.00 each, so I figured I couldnt really go wrong... Well I was right, and one broke within 5 minutes of getting it home. A quick fix tho and Ive found that these can hold up fairly well. Heres what you do:
The trigger works by pivoting on two hollow plastic pins that extend from either side of the plastic case through a hole in the trigger. As you can imagine this isn't very strong, and if you try to put a lot of pressure on the clamp, the little plastic pins break off and the trigger wont work to tighten the clamp. Take a drill bit and drill right through the pivot points/hole in the trigger. Put a pop rivit (or even a short bolt) thru that hole. Done.

Gene Howe
12-23-2008, 4:17 PM
All my casters, a dust collector that works great, a bench top DP that has served well....especially after I finally got it aligned, a dozen 3/4 pipe clamps that wouldn't fit 3/4 black pipe. Had to ream them a little.

scott spencer
12-23-2008, 4:17 PM
I have the $100 mortiser that serves my needs well, and the 13" DP 38142 that has far exceeded expectations. I have several of the Pittsburg bar clamps that a great deal on sale.

Jason Hanko
12-23-2008, 4:26 PM
Oh, and a combo 3'' belt/ 5'' disc benchtop sander... I got it off CL for $10, but technically its a HF tool...
Works just fine.

Dave Sweeney
12-23-2008, 4:27 PM
I've noticed that no one seems to be giving you model numbers. HF often has more than one version of a particular kind of tool so you really need to know which particular one is the one to buy and which one you should avoid.

Some of the Harbor Freight sold items in my shop that I'd recommend are;

#40073 ¼" pneumatic crown stapler
#46365 ½" pneumatic crown stapler
#93656 pneumatic pin nailer
#94138 Wand Metal Detector
#36842 High Volume Air Duster Gun
#42986 Bench Grinder Pedestal Stand
#36221 9" Drill Press Lock Clamp
#43430 HVLP Pnuematic Spray Gun
#47257 6" Digital Caliper
#3163 600lb Hand Truck Dolly
#40187 Anti-Fatigue Mat
#96238 Toggle Clamp

Bruce Page
12-23-2008, 4:32 PM
I haven't been in one in a long time, but I just moved and there is one close to me. I'm just wondering what tools might be worthwhile getting here. I appreciate quality but I'm also a bit of a cheapie at the same time.

For instance can't I get a decent vise there, any clamps, or something that just needs to spin like maybe a grinder?

I know I saw a review of a HF jointer that was positive and I gather most creekers prefer to get the most quality they can afford, but I have to believe that there are certain items to pluck out of there.

So, what's in your shop?

Just as a rule of thumb, Quality and Cheap don’t go hand & hand very often.

I bought one of their air driven staplers last summer for a one time job and it performed well. Other than their nitrile gloves which I buy often, the stapler is the only “tool” that I have purchased from HF.

CPeter James
12-23-2008, 4:44 PM
I bought an $90 sander that I converted into a turning tools sharpener. Fo what it, is it is fine and works great. Better built that most of the small belt, disk sanders.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/93900-93999/93981.gif

I see the price has been lowered

This is the sharpener.

http://home.metrocast.net/~cpjvkj/sharpener.jpg

CPeter

Jim Summers
12-23-2008, 5:03 PM
Some bar clamps that have held up so far. Air chuck and some casters that have done ok.

HTH

David G Baker
12-23-2008, 5:10 PM
As far as I know I don't have any HF products in my collection. I do have a lot of garage sale items but none have the HF name on them. I am pretty hard on tools so I generally go for the real heavy duty tools for safety reasons.

Larry Fox
12-23-2008, 5:10 PM
Nothing! I bought an automatic compressor drain a while ago that has since found it's way to the trash can.

Dewayne Reding
12-23-2008, 5:12 PM
Not much stuff in the woodshop, but a number of garage items. Notable deals include a soldering gun that is WAAAY better than the Wellers it replaced. Air line water trap. The spindle sander looks like a great deal. Their air tools (other than impact) are a great value.

I seldom buy HF electric tools or anything that should be made of quality steel.

Andrew Joiner
12-23-2008, 5:29 PM
I just bought a bunch of hand screw clamps and locking G-clamps from them. They work fine. For the price,WOW!

Eric Schniewind
12-23-2008, 5:31 PM
What I mean by quality and cheap is that I prefer to buy quality when it makes the most sense to do so. There are things that I think being HF thrifty might make more sense to do so. It seems like these responses contain some valuable insight.

But yes, I agree regarding the combination of quality and cheap. As someone pointed out to me a while ago there is a triangle with Cheap, Fast, and Quality at the ends and you have to pick your point within the triangle.

But thanks for all the responses. They're all very helpful.

Bill Petersen
12-23-2008, 5:39 PM
Wow, that's the best use of that plastic digital caliper I've seen. I'm going out and replace the one in my toolbox with a nice steel one and make that height/depth gauge that you've so kindly shown.

Guess I'd better go and post an intro too.

Bill

Mike Conley
12-23-2008, 5:41 PM
I have the 7" jointer that I bought used for $50.00. I had to do some shimming to get the tables parallel. But for $50.00 I am not complaining.

Also have a set of 6" digital calipars and some casters.

Ken Milhinch
12-23-2008, 5:46 PM
Not a single thing. Too far to travel to shop.:D

Kev Godwin
12-23-2008, 5:54 PM
I have a pin nailer, 1/2" stapler and brad nailer I use often as well as several cheap clamps and other supplies.

My favorite is their 1"x30" benchtop belt sander SKU#2485. I got it for $32 tax included. It is the exact same one Grizzly sells (model H3140) for $55 plus shipping.

Kev

Paul Coffin
12-23-2008, 6:01 PM
Impact wrench, air chisel, die grinder, air regulators, texture gun, impact sockets, a set of large sockets, some F style clamps(the do not work very well) welding helmet, set if micro drills, various sets of screw drivers, floor etc, etc If it is a tool that you do not use all that often I will buy from them, But if it is something you really want to work well buy elsewhere.
Pau C

Jeffrey Makiel
12-23-2008, 6:07 PM
My HF purchases are 20 years old...

Belt/disc combo sander 6x48/12: worked well, sold it for an edgesander (non HF)

16" Floor Drill Press: works like a champ

F-clamps: lousy, they slip

Pipe clamps: lousy, simply lousy (threw them out)

Toggle clamps: work well

3-way Edge clamps: works well, have about 2 dozen of 'em, great value

Drill press clamps: they look like 1/2 of a Vice Grip Plier, works well

C-clamp sets: work well

Wet tile saw: consists of a small Jepson-like circular saw mounted on a homemade looking frame and slider. Still works well today. Lots and lots of hours on it. So many hours that I've wore thru 2 sets of brushes.

Air tools: impact wrench, die grinder, cut off tool, air wrench. All work well but don't use too much.
Again, most of my HF purchases were 20+ years ago. What's available today is likely different. But, my HF days are basically over.

-Jeff :)

Jeffrey Makiel
12-23-2008, 6:11 PM
Not a single thing. Too far to travel to shop.:D

Ken, they do mailorder. Just make sure you check the box on the order form that says "Attention UPS driver, please don't slap the recipient"

-Jeff :)

Larry Edgerton
12-23-2008, 8:21 PM
I am not knowingly buying anything from China these days so none would be my answer. I get paid a living wage, and I buy tools from companys/countrys that pay a living wage. They don't make anything that I need.

Just my point of view....

Curt Harms
12-23-2008, 8:43 PM
I have some F clamps (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96210) that seem to work okay. I haven't had any problems with mine slipping. Nitrile gloves, acid brushes seem fine. I bought a multimeter for my toolbox which seems okay. It's no Fluke meter but it will tell me if there is resistance or voltage in a circuit. I've seen where people have bought drill presses, jointers and planers from HF and were happy with them. I'm not sure I'd go that far. The 43430 HVLP gun seems to get reviews. The older style (made in Taiwan)HVLP gun was identical to the P-C PSH1 gun, the newer HF HVLP gun parts(made in China) are similar but not interchangable like the Taiwanese guns was.

HTH

Curt

Don Bullock
12-23-2008, 9:36 PM
Nothing. I've shopped in their store, but have not found anything worth buying.

Rob Wright
12-23-2008, 9:39 PM
Let's see... I buy from them when I know that I am rarely going to use the tool and expect it to fail at some point in the future - sometimes after the first use. I have taken back a number of broken tools and they have replaced them without question. What I can think of

pipe clamps
aluminum bar clamps
center punch - the brass automatic ones have about 4 scattered about
Transfer punch set
HSS spiral router bits in 1/4" - good in my cnc for cutting questionable material
3 piece countersink set.
diamond turbo grinder wheel 4" and 7"
casters
air impact wrench
air die grinder
air chisel
impact sockets
hex key wrenches - Pittsburgh brand
Shrink tubing
voltage/continuity tester
screwdrivers
snap ring pliers
security bit set
moving blankets

Like I said most of the items have been used just a few times. Sometimes I just resist the 50% off coupon for some more junk!

chris yount
12-23-2008, 9:44 PM
The 18 ga and 15 ga ($59 on sale) nailers have served me well.The 1/4 crown stapler is not up to par.I have the 21 gal air compressor that has been unbelievable for $100 on sale.I have a few of the cheap saw blades I use on reclaimed lumber that may have trash in it.
I dont buy any power tools there my dad has a few and I didn't care for them when I tried them.

Ron Jones near Indy
12-23-2008, 9:49 PM
I have some HF mobile bases that are Delta clones that work very well. I tried to buy a couple more about a year ago--no longer available. They were a steal at $20 each.

The 1/2" pipe clamps were junk. But I've been well satisfied with the 3/4" clamps; they too were a steal--$3 each on sale.

I have picked up small items too numerous to mention. Most of them were serviceable. The air hoses I have had were also serviceable.

I have had no experience with anything electrical from them.

Stephen Edwards
12-23-2008, 9:57 PM
DC Unit.....plenty adequate for my needs

Air Compressor.....plenty adequate for my needs

OSS.....plenty adequate for my needs (small parts)

Compound Miter Saw....suitable for outside and inside trim carpentry. I wouldn't use if for furniture work. On the other hand, maybe I would if I had it set up for that and put a good Freud blade in it. Lots of their miter saws are junk. This one is solid.

Pipe Clamps......not the best but certainly workable and you can't tell the difference when the job is done. A bit of a hassle to work with but I manage. They're cheap.

To me, the thing with HF is that you need to go SEE the tools before you buy them. Then, you can decide if it will work for your needs.

Jim O'Dell
12-23-2008, 10:10 PM
I get a few things there, flat sanding discs to do rough sanding outside on the house with angle grinder, nitrile gloves, glue brushes, cheap hole saw kit that doesn't last, but drilled at least enough holes to pay for itself. Hex sets are worthless, soft and round over easily. I do have an 18 guage air gun, and a combo 18 guage air stapler/nailer that both work well, but leave too big of an indention in the wood. Wouldn't want to use them for furniture, but are fine for other things. Best item I've gotten so far is the 2 1/2 hp (yeah right! :D) tile saw. It is very heavy, and works like a charm. The table was dead on 90 degrees to the blade straight out of the box. Doesn't come with a blade, so was able to get a Hot Dawg off another forum for a great price, and it works fantastic. I have one of the 10.00 cordless drills. It works, but not well. Bought it to do liscense plates at the former dealership I worked at...Had trouble keeping the battery charged.
Their 18 guage brads are cheap and work well. About half the price of the Porter Cable units at HD. Jim.

Eric Commarato
12-23-2008, 10:17 PM
I have a set of bearing pullers that have worked great. They look and have worked so far just like the expensive name brand ones. Bought the set for 31 bucks, and will handle 1"-2" and 2"-3" bearings.

Sonny Edmonds
12-23-2008, 10:19 PM
Let's see....
Not a lot, really.
But a nice manual hose reel. It's been around a long time and still reely :D handy.
I bought several pipe clamps there and put them on various lengths of Sch. 80 pipe, and they work real good for me.
And some really lightweight F clamps I needed for a doll house I was making. Lightweight meaning they are downright fragile, but work within featherweight clamping needs.
I gave away my first dust collector blower I got from HF. But it was a beginning in moving dust around, and being a booster blower in it's life in my shop.
I'm sure there is other items. But I always considered HF stuff as a use once and don't cry when it breaks type of quality (or lack of quality). ;)

Todd Hoppe
12-24-2008, 12:16 AM
"F" style clamps, that seem to be a new design. They work great.
3/4" pipe clamps, that are ok
6" Digital Calipers, work great
Spring clamps
Aluminum bar clamps (work fine)
Gloves (latex, for finishing)
Sandpaper
Casters
Gear puller (works well)
Tap and die set (junk)
Utility knives
Abrasive cutoff wheels

John Sanford
12-24-2008, 2:22 AM
Acid brushes.
Banana knife, bright and well shaped, but the blade slide button is so-so and poorly positioned.

Some casters.
2 furniture dollies.
A 3 piece stepped drill set. (Unibit knockoff)
A rubber mallet lurking somewhere in the shop.

A small electronic scale, which I use for properly weighting rolling stock.
An ultrasonic cleaner.

1 (formerly 2) cast iron holddowns, junk, junk, junk.

I have used a miter saw stand from there for a kitchen cabinet build, its what led me to coin the term "Tool Shaped Objects". Harbor Freight has one of the biggest selections of TSO's in America. If the MS stand had been mine, rather than my fathers, I would probably have taken either a Sawzall, a BFH, or a cutting torch to it.

Chris Kennedy
12-24-2008, 7:40 AM
I have used a miter saw stand from there for a kitchen cabinet build, its what led me to coin the term "Tool Shaped Objects". Harbor Freight has one of the biggest selections of TSO's in America. If the MS stand had been mine, rather than my fathers, I would probably have taken either a Sawzall, a BFH, or a cutting torch to it.

I'll second that. I recently made my first, and almost certainly last, HF purchase. I bought a $25 tool stand -- MDF top, steel legs with a couple of integral "shelves." I had my misgivings, but I thought for $25, I would at least get a a pair of legs and the MDF top. It would be worth the investment, right?

Wrong.

The "shelves" were basically cardboard, and I broke one almost immediately. I had to flex every piece in order to get the pieces to go together. It took me over two hours to put the thing together. It will work as a stand for my new mortiser, but never again. I was about ready to deliver to lead-pipe therapy to the "tool-shaped object."

Cheers,

Chris

Jim Kountz
12-24-2008, 9:52 AM
Oh, ok...there are some old pipe clamps, but they never worked well. I will not even gift them to someone based on that.

Yep Im with ya here Jim, thought I would be saving myself a little money and get the HF clamps. I bought a box of 12 pipe clamp fixtures. I had three that wouldnt even thread on the pipe, 2 more that the sliding end wouldnt slide without help from a mallet and the worst of all the heads always wanted to spin when you tried to tighten them. *sigh* Do we ever really listen when we are told "you get what you pay for?" LOL I obviously dont!!:o:o But hey, if you ever want to add to your unused HF pipe clamp collection, I'll make you a deal!!;);):D:D

Howard Miller
12-24-2008, 9:58 AM
#94029-3vga mini 1hp dust collector on sale for $89.00 - works like a charm. Hooked to homemade pre-collection trash can with 4" hose and pvc connections.

97385-0vga Router table fence - very nice for $29.00 in store

Mike Heidrick
12-24-2008, 10:04 AM
Welding Blanket
Auto Darkening Welding Helmet
Right angle Welding Magnets
Some Casters
Pneumatic riveting gun
Various pneumatic fittings
Electric Chainsaw Blade sharpener
Dial Caliper
Magnetic Base
Dust Brushes
Dust Collection Hose
Various hardware and consumables (rivets, cotter pins, zip ties, tape, sandpaper, cut off wheels, etc).

Previously owned the HFDC and it was good. Sold it and upgraded.

Cary Falk
12-24-2008, 10:55 AM
34706 wood lathe
93762 4x6 horizontalmetal bandsaw
auto-darkening welding helmet
rightangle welding magnets
welding gloves and apron
3/4" pipe clamps
nitrile gloves
6" fractional digital caliper

Bill White
12-24-2008, 11:59 AM
Got it when I bought my Griz TS from a Creeker. Threw the bags in the trash, and got some 1 mic. ones from Highland. It has been a performer.
Bill

Joe Trotter
12-24-2008, 2:06 PM
I have had and have several HF tools. The ones that got allot of use have been upgraded to better quality. I still by some HF if I need something for a few uses.

Last summer my wife wanted concrete edging around our house she got a estimate for $1700. My brother and I went in together and bought the HF concreted edger machine for 250 each and did both our houses.

Ed, I was just looking on their site and do not see an edger.

Is this the kind that puts a border around the lawn?

I have been wanting to get that done but was quoted 3K to do it.

Thanks, Joe

Skyp Nelson
12-25-2008, 6:48 AM
The major tool from HF in my shop is the DP my Mrs. bought me for Christmas '07. I'm an upper begginer/LOW intermedete WW, it does what I need it to do, and I don't think I would know different. I have 3 brad nailers: a 18ga combo stapler/brad, which I learned to use only for staples, on brads it still leaves the same dimple, a 18 ga brad, and a 23 ga pin nailer. I like all three. I also bought a framer nailer when I built the lean-to add on to the my gararge, opps, I mean shop. I bought a box of 1000 nails then, and doubt I will ever shoot them all:). I got a killer deal on 3/4 pipe clamps, on which I bought ~ a dozen, and I'm happy. I like thier casters, for the price. I have a truck load of lever (?) clamps, for jigs, I have yet to to use, but they were on sale. I have thier floor mats, which makes for happy feet. I did buy a laminte trimer, which I really don't like. I just don't like how it feels and handles. The fact that the first time I used it, the bearing on my flush trim bit shattered (jury's still out on wiether it was the bit or the router:)) didn't help. Sale price $16, so I was only out the price of MacDonlad's. My DC's the HF, with a Wynn Fiter upgrade, which does suck (pun intended). As far as major players (TS, BS etc.), I personally went, or would go in the furture, to the used market for "brand" names before I would by from HF. I guess all what this ramling means is, some HF is good, some not, Try all you buy within the FIRST 30 days...they will take back anything. Also buy on sale or with a coupon.

Craig T. Smith
12-25-2008, 7:27 AM
Ditto on the drill, dry wall screw gun-pretty good, 4 brad nailer-stapler combos( different lenghts in ea. for covienience) work great, framing nailer- 5000+ nails going strong(21 degree nails hard to find) 3/4 pipe clamps- mine work fine, I have auto darkening welding helmet, vise clamps, angle magnets, 1 3/8- 3in. combo wrenches( broke a 1 5/8 by using a5 ft. pipe on it- they replaced it) several sets of wrenches ( for bending and modifying- hate to bend snap-on,but will) on my service truck. Most of what I've gotten at HF have served very well. Happy Woodworking, Craig

Michael Gibbons
12-25-2008, 8:31 AM
nothing-zero-zilch

John Eaton
12-25-2008, 9:37 AM
Big Stuff:
*4'x8' folding trailer (12" wheels) - this this has been great and has saved me a ton of money in the long run - I pull it with my small SUV (no truck).
*16 speed Drill Press - works great but I've got it geared for metal so it's in that area of the shop (I've got two old Deltas in the woodworking area)
*34706 Wood Lathe - I learned how to turn on this but sold the unit (which I originally bought used) to another newbie turner. For the money I think it's the equivalent of the Jet that has the same configuration.
*2 HP Dust Collector - this unit surpassed my expectations (I upgraded to a Wynn Canister) - sold it for pretty much what I paid to another woodworker when I upgraded to the GO440 cyclone

Smaller Stuff:
*5" Radial vise - this thing is a beast and well worth the $30-40 cost when they go on sale
*Chain Saw Sharpener - if you use a chain saw at all, this thing pays for itself the first time you use it (provided you got it on sale with coupon - about $24 if memory serves)
*9" Woodworking quick-release vice. It's not as well made as my Record but not bad for a Chinese copy.
*Wood Hand-screw clamps - I've got about a dozen of these and realistically they're of similar quality to the newer Jorgies I own.
*Consumables like acid brushes (metal handled brushes for applying glues), bulk-pack paint brushes in 1" and 2" size, gloves, nitrile gloves, etc.
*Tiny LED flashlights - got these for around $2 on sale and for that price you can put them everywhere.
*Cheap gloves to use in the yard
*Digging Bar and some other gardening tools

-- John

Andy Casiello
12-25-2008, 10:24 AM
I have a set of the "Pittsburg" :rolleyes: metric open end wrenches. They are fine. I also have this electric hoist:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/44000-44099/44006.gif

It looks exactly the same as from other vendors, and I got it for $ 79 (880lbs capacity) with a coupon. Has worked great.

I have a dial indicator, a few nylon straps, gloves, etc. Odds and ends sorts of things that seem fine. I had a few bits from them that were sub-par. Learned my lesson, and I buy Whiteside or similar now.

I also have one of the 4" angle grinders, and a heat gun. Both have been just fine. No larger power tools from them.

Scott Vigder
12-25-2008, 10:50 AM
I've spent more time returning HF tools to the store than actually using them, so I don't go there anymore.

Herbert Wallace
12-25-2008, 11:22 AM
I have a HF air crown stapler for $12. that has out lasted my $80. PC. Their $2 push sticks are a bargain. $12. heat gun is great. Gloves ,glue brushes etc. Haven't wanted to risk any money on big ticket items. Although, I have been tempted by the shaper. Heavy duty for sure.

willie sobat
12-25-2008, 11:43 AM
Nothing! I've been tempted by the prices but upon examination in the store I haven't found anything that looked like it was worth it.

Jack Briggs
12-26-2008, 7:49 AM
Just bought a 12 ton HF hydraulic shop press. I had a bearing on the lower wheel of my bandsaw crap out on me last week and reasoned that the time spent searching for a auto or machine shop that had a hydraulic press to hire for pressing in the new bearings would cost me more than the $140 for the press from HF!

Cheers,

Joe Von Kaenel
12-26-2008, 9:30 AM
I have A HF 2HP Dust collector.

Joe

Matt Meiser
12-26-2008, 10:14 AM
I have numerous HF items. Most are either occasional use items or things that after looking at them, seem to be a good deal and well made. I've also seen a lot of junk and bought a couple items that were duds. They've always taken the duds back without question.

Heres the things I can think of that I'm generally happy with:
- Heat Gun
- A couple of the 4-1/2" angle grinders. They aren't as good as my $100 Dewalt, but they are as good as the $40-50 ones most manufacturers sell (I tried a Dewalt and took it back because it was no better than my HF.) They may or may not last as long, but at 1/2 to 1/3 the price, its worth the risk. My dad says they are well regarded on the metalworking forums he frequents and guys don't claim to have any higher failure rates with them than the name brands.
- Numerous vise-grip like welding clamps.
- Magnetic welding triangles
- Auto-dark welding helmet
- A big swivel vise. I will admit that I am on the second. The first broke when I had it mounted in the hitch on my tractor and attempted to bend a 3/8" thick bracket for my neighbors' finish mower back into shape by putting all my weight on the other end--almost 5' away. I wouldn't recommend that after thinking about the whole torque = force x distance thing. That's around 1000 ft-lbs. :eek: For my regular use--holding items to be welded, I love it.
- A universal bender for bending steel bar and tube.
- Several measuring tools like calipers, dial indicator, and a test indicator. A professional machinist in my club says that they are more than adequate for anything most woodworkers ever need.
- Numerous 5" casters which are really nice. They have a cast wheel and solid tire, available in both straight and swivel. My only complaint is that they don't don't have locks. Best part is that they are regularly on sale where you can get 2 swivel and 2 fixed for about $20.
- some larger wheels with inflatable tires. I used those on my welder and plasma cutter carts for the non-swivel wheels because they roll really nicely over cords and hoses.
- Several movers carts which are invaluable both for the intended purpose and for making items temporarily mobile in the shop, like my Parks planer waiting to be restored or my daughter's in-process vanity.
- A stack of movers blankets. I use one when I'm in the final stages of a project to protect them from anything on the assembly bench, and for moving them into the house or transporting them.
- Tie down straps--not much different from any I've gotten at the big box stores.
- A couple "trucker" chains one of which rides on the tractor in a holder I attached to the loader frame. Helpful for anything like pulling brush to getting it or another vehicle unstuck (our back 8 gets pretty wet in the spring and early summer) or for using the loader as a crane for heavy items. They are rated ridiculously high for anything I'd ever put them through.
- A twin stack compressor with an oiled pump which lives in the attached garage since my big IR compressor lives in the shop.
- Plastic saw horses, though they aren't my favorite since they have a pinch-point. I've seen the same design elsewhere for more money. I like having a few sets around for setting up temporary tables for finishing, a garage sale, big party, etc and these work and don't beak the bank.
- Supplies like super glue, nitrile gloves, microfiber cloths, red shop rags, terry cloth rags, chip brushes (even work well for quick-n-dirty finishing of shop items if you don't mind a few shed hairs), heat shring tubing and more.
- Brad nailer and pinner
- a set of REALLY big combination wrenches. I needed a few of the smaller sizes it contained for tractor items. They actually seem to be similar in quality to my Craftsman wrenches, though I obviously don't know anything about the metalurgy. I've used them though and haven't been afraid one would break. Plus they look cool hanging on the wall. :cool:
- A clamp-on ammeter.
- A 4x6 metal bandsaw. Though I am going to sell that since I just got a great deal on a Jet which has a better motor and nicer fit/finish.

My dad also has a ring roller I've borrowed a couple times and a bead roller, which I haven't had a use for but he's happy with it.

Tony Bilello
12-26-2008, 11:35 AM
I've spent more time returning HF tools to the store than actually using them, so I don't go there anymore.

Out of desperation, I have bought Harbor Freight tools just to get my shop up and going.
Just about everything I bought over this past year has died....some several times. They exchange stuff pretty much with no problem but that only leads to the next trip to return the 'newer' replacement.
I had every single electric tool die from anywhere to bad swirches to just burn up even when not under load. Their air nailers work almost OK but their air staplers will only work on soft pine. Their air fittings all leak and the ends of their hoses blow off and the hoses are too stiff. Their pipe clamps either grip too loose or dont fit the pipe. Their trigger type clamps can only take a light clamping or they will break. Their woodworking vise broke in a very short period of time. Their router table with the router vibrates and buzzes and the motor has been replaced 3 times in the past year. Everythiong from burnt motors to bad bearings. Their spray guns leak. Drills...bad bearings and burnt motors. I'm sure I am leaving a lot of stuff out.
I just dont have anything good to say about them. I would think that anyone reading this thread would steer clear of them.
Their prices are very tempting.
Wait....their most expensive turning tools are really not bad at all. I was surprised at that. But then again, I dont do any serious turning at the moment.

Roy Bennett
12-26-2008, 1:54 PM
I have a HF benchtop mortise machine. After quite a bit of work on the bits and the addition of a HF x-y vice, it works great. Not bad @ $100 for the machine + $30 for the vice!;)

Dewey Torres
12-26-2008, 4:26 PM
Well to answer, I will just say plenty and leave it at that.

Bob Genovesi
12-26-2008, 5:21 PM
I have to be honest; none in my shop. This isn't because I refuse to shop there, I just haven't.

Dave Lehnert
12-26-2008, 5:27 PM
Some people seem to take great pride in not owning Harbor Freight stuff. Thats fine, Nothing wrong with that. I just think when shopping, you should not discount any store just because of name. I own some Harbor Freight stuff and it has worked well for my needs. Why spend $80 for a name brand Heat Gun when the Harbor Freight $10 gun works very well, Again for my needs. For a painter it may be junk. But for me to heat some shrink tubing, doing small electrical projects on my car or lawn equipment, it's just the ticket.
I purchased a Harbor Freight gear type wrench for the arbor nut on my JET cabinet saw. $14 and it seems to be very good quality. Anyone that wants to spend the big $$$ for a Snap-On for the same purpose, knock yourself out. I just rather spend the money I saved on something for the family like dinner out or a movie.

hank dekeyser
12-30-2008, 11:11 PM
Lots and lots - well OK not that much. When I want to wreck it or don't "need" a good tool I buy HF - I'm a cheap skate and the money I save on the tools I don't use often enough , goes to the tools I depend on to make a living. My favorite HF tool is the 1/2" corded impact gun , looks exactly like my buds Matco gun - It's been driving lag bolts and stuff for building decks for 3-1/2 seasons now with no problems. If you know what you need and how you're going to use it, it doesnt matter where you buy your tools. If I buy a HF tool and decide its a POS - I just return it.

Robert Strebler
12-31-2008, 7:00 AM
I've got a HF 2hp DC. The dust collector works awesome - especially for the $150 I paid for it on sale. I also have the 8" jointer which isn't going to make any woodworkers jealous, but does the job well.

Some cheap stuff.
A bunch of F clamps which are OK, but not on par with the name brands.
Some hammers and a deadblow which are a bargain.
A 23 gauge pinner.

Tom Godley
12-31-2008, 8:42 AM
I have a HF near a client of mine -- I stop in every couple of months. It is a fun 1/2 hour just to walk around and I have noticed that some items are the same as sold by other retailers.

The small hand grinder that I bought for $16.00 to do a small job has been great and they sell the same Norton offshore wheels that everybody else does for twice the price.

Mostly, I have purchased a lot of small "I may use" items -- and end up using them.

Like the 2' long screwdrivers that I picked up for $5.00 -- They came in handy when I needed to replace a screw for the power seat in my car.

The dollies for $10.00 each and the $30.00 hand truck have been used a lot as have the bun-gee cords/ straps and furniture tarps for picking up and then moving/ protecting the new tools I have purchased.

I have bought a couple of the $10.00 magnetic lights to light up my band saw and drill press as well the $29.00 articulated fluorescent magnifying light for one of my benches.

I tend to pick up the items "on sale" -- some are hard to pass up. Like the $5.00 12v auto test light with a 5 foot cord.

The stuff is not Snap-on quality and obviously will not hold up like it but many of the items have been handy to have and most have performed as expected.

The other day I was in the store and happened to look at a drill press -- I was surprised what you can get for $225.00. The quality of press was better than before.

I like to purchase US made products -- I never go to Walmart because I do not wish to support that kind of retailer -- but we have long ago lost the battle on the stuff that HF sells.

Dan Gill
12-31-2008, 9:59 AM
The 2HP dust collector, a small compressor, and a few clamps.

Stephen Edwards
12-31-2008, 10:21 AM
I've got a HF 2hp DC. The dust collector works awesome - especially for the $150 I paid for it on sale. I also have the 8" jointer which isn't going to make any woodworkers jealous, but does the job well.

Robert......I have the same HF 2HP DC that you got for $150. I think I paid $160 for mine on sale and with a coupon. I looked at a couple of name brand ones that sell for considerably more and look identical to the HF DC except for the color scheme. My guess is that they came off the same assembly line. Mine, too, is awesome. It provides all the DC that I need in a shop.

A while back I put together a home made separator for the DC unit. One of these days, when I get "around to it", I'm gonna try one of the Phil Thien baffles on the separator. Even without the baffle, it has made the chore of emptying the bag much less of a hassle because I don't have to do that as often. You can see the separator that I rigged up for less than $20 in fittings at this page:

http://stephenedisonedwards.com/dust-collection-seperator.html

Like so many others in this thread have said......There are some good tools and some bad tools at HF. Their 2HP DC unit provides all the DC that I need or want in my shop.

Paul Johnstone
12-31-2008, 10:51 AM
Good stuff I have gotten there:
acid brushes used for applying glue
An air powered cutoff wheel that uses an excessive amount of air, but for occasional use it is fine.
A cast iron grinder stand that is excellent.
Two steel framing hammers that are fine.
3/4" pipe clamps.. these were hit and miss, but most were adequate.

Bad stuff:
Adjustable wrenches
Pittsburg pliers set.. the wire cutters dull quick, the closing action on the plyers is bad. IMO, it's worth the extra $$ for Channel locks.
I tossed a few blades I got from them.

I had a HF angle grinder which vibrated a lot and did not last very long (maybe 10-15 hours). It was cheap though.

I have not been in that store for many years. I think there's a few gems there, but quality is very spotty. In the long run, I don't think you save money after you throw away the bad drill bits, jig saw blades, etc. Also, it adds a lot of aggravation when something does fail on you. That far outweighes the occasional gem for me.

Rod Sheridan
12-31-2008, 11:17 AM
Being Canadian, I don't have any HF stuff.

We do have a store which is similar, called Princess Auto, they have aisle after aisle of Chinese "stuff".

I've been there a couple of times, bought a couple of disposable items, and haven't been back.

A cow-orker purchased an angle grinder from them, their house brand is "Power Fist". It apparently lasted about 10 minutes before catching fire.

I don't think he shops there any longer.

I guess I try to not buy Chinese stuff, and try to buy North American tools as much as possible.

I have to admit however that I may be going away from North American machinery in favour of Austrian machinery.

Regards, Rod.

Todd Crawford
12-31-2008, 11:40 AM
We have those Cummins Tool sales that come around a couple of times a year selling stuff very similar to Harbour Frieght. I bought a dremel type tool from them when I first became interested in wood and I think it lasted 3 or 4 minutes. At least it came with enough attachments that I could still use when I bought a decent one that it wasn't a total loss. But it was not a real good experience.

Jerry Booher
12-31-2008, 11:52 AM
I had a HF 14" abrasive cut-off saw. The blade could not be adjusted to be 90 degrees to the base so I sold it for $30 on CL. I replaced it with a $180 Bosch made in Germany. It arrived in a nice Bosch box with "Made in China" on it. It is identical, really identical to the HF and obviously was made in the same factory.

However, it cuts 90 degrees.

Jerry

Mike Buelow
12-31-2008, 12:04 PM
$20 1/4" chuck mini router. Switch fell apart in first hour of use. Replaced the switch and now I use it 10x more often than my big Hitachi plunger, which retails for 15x.

Eric Schniewind
12-31-2008, 5:31 PM
I think this has been a very interesting post, if I can say so.

So based on what I read here and my young shop needs, I bought the following the other day:

1 9" Quick Release WW vise - on sale for $54.95

2 10" Wood screw clamps - $5.99 each

2 3" Spring clamps - $1.99 each

1 Wooden Bench Brush - $1.99

And I nearly picked up a corded drill but couldn't pull the trigger at the last minute. I also need to go back and pick up a drill guide to make my bench dog holes in the budget workbench I'm building.

I'm currently wrestling with the concept of buying only what I need for whatever project I'm working on. But also with the idea that being in the middle of putting something together and suddenly having to go out and buy something to get it done is frustrating.

Anyway, cheers all and thanks for all the responses.

Happy New Year.

John Towns
12-31-2008, 10:39 PM
I was reading through this post with interest...so much so that I drove over to the local HF store this afternoon. I picked up a few items, none of them electric. I got a 48" level. They had some glass coasters which seemed a bit out of place in the store. I do have a brad nailer from HF that has worked well for me. I have used it when I installed hardwood floors in our house.

Greg Hines, MD
01-01-2009, 1:30 AM
The only HF I have is some el-cheapo chisels that I use for rough work.

Doc

Alan DuBoff
01-01-2009, 1:40 AM
I was looking around and can't spot anything from HF. Oddly, I have been to their site many times, and have some similar tools, like a Grizzly mini-mill that is like their mini-mill with a different spindle taper.

Kinda proud of myself that I don't have any of their tools...:p

Ron Crusee
01-01-2009, 9:25 AM
Digital calipers and the 2hp dust collector. They both work fine..

James White
01-01-2009, 10:06 AM
That mini mill is made by the same company. As are the mini lathes that are sold by HF, Grizzley, Homier, Cummins/ToolsNow. They are excellent machines for the money. For the most part color, accessories and customer service are the differences between the different vendors. I own the HF version of the Mini Mill the Homier version of the Mini Lathe and the HF version of the 9x20 lathe (also sold by Jet). I am very pleased with all of them. You can find lots of information on these mini machines at the bellow link. One word of caution. Like many other things that fancy the type of folks that are members her. This can be a very slippery slope.

http://www.mini-lathe.com/Mini_lathe/Sieg/Sieg.htm

PS: Be sure to click on the "versions" link on the respective Minilathe and MiniMill pages.

James

Chuck Tringo
01-01-2009, 12:18 PM
when I went to tucson the other day for some sanding sleeves for my OSS I found a (macassar?) ebony small smoothing plane on the clearance table for $16. The blade is junk but the wood alone is worth more than that..and after I put the blade on my WS 3000, it does make a pretty good cut. Even if I never use it on a project its far prettier than anything Ive seen at HF and looks good just sitting on the shelf :D

Mark Elmer
01-01-2009, 10:56 PM
This is an interesting thread. A WW friend that I have lunch with just about every week loves to go to HF and look around. He often brings the coupons that he prints from their emails. It makes for and interesting lunch break. There are plenty of HF stores here in Utah.

What do I have? A quick glance around the shop revealed the following:

*A pair of Pittsburgh brand ratchet style clamps - they work pretty well
*A pair of aluminum bar clamps that are 50" long - they're lousy
*A set of transfer punches that I use mosty with my penturning - work ok
*Mitersaw stand that my small Jet lathe sits on - works ok but will replace
*DP vise that works pretty good for the $5 I paid
*A set of lathe tools that I bought on sale that work well for learning
*47257 6" digital calipers bought on sale. They work as well as I need
*46807 clamps. About half a dozen and when they break I now know how to fix them from earlier in this thread.
*Magnifier work lamp that I haven't found a use for yet.
*46309 18 gauge brad nailer that works pretty well for the $18 I paid
*I also have one of the $10 corded drills mentioned earlier in this thread tha does work pretty well. I use it almos exclusively for pocket hole joinery.

There is also some HF stuff in the garage:

*12 ton press with a 20 ton bottle jack. Honest that's what they gave us
*Half a dozen 90 degree angle magnetic welding gadgets
*One of their $12 heat guns
*Various consumable items like grinding disks and abrasive cut of wheels

I also have bought a couple of their pond pumps which seem to last about two seasons and then I buy a replacement when it finally gives out.

So I guess I'm pretty much like the rest of the HF shoppers on this thread.

I can't remember the name of the comic who said this was but it's pretty spot on. "Sometimes Kmart is your best choice... You have eight dollars and you need snow tires." Which is how I see HF overall. If it's something that I am going to use a lot and want it to last the rest of my life I'll spend the money. But sometimes HF has some things that for me are a pretty good value.

Steve Vaughn
01-01-2009, 10:58 PM
A few air tools and a floor model bead blast cabinet. Other than that maybe just some small stuff like wire brushes and gloves.

Steve

Michael Gibbons
01-02-2009, 5:55 PM
I was reading through this post with interest...so much so that I drove over to the local HF store this afternoon. I picked up a few items, none of them electric. I got a 48" level.

I hope you checked it or a house that might be built with it might be a tad off. TIMBER!!!!!

Stephen Edwards
01-02-2009, 6:13 PM
I hope you checked it or a house that might be built with it might be a tad off. TIMBER!!!!!

My HF level worked perfectly for a long time, at least several months. All I had to do to it was epoxy a #4 finishing nail onto one end of it!

Just kidding! The more I've worked in the shop since this thread started, the more I realize how many HF items, mostly small stuff, that I have in the shop. In fact, it's time to stock up again on the blue faux rubber gloves and several more incidental items. Hmmmmmmmm, speaking of dental, I wonder if they sell teeth at their stores............

Tom Veatch
01-02-2009, 9:40 PM
4 1/2" angle grinder that does a pretty good job.
Auto-darkening welding hood that I actually like better than a high dollar Miller hood which I also have.
14" metal cutting chop saw that is gathering dust until I can find someone who will accept it as a gift. Replaced the chop saw with a Jet horizontal bandsaw after I determined that the chop saw wouldn't make a square cut even if I did hold my tongue right.
An 18v cordless drill now taking up space in the landfill. It stripped it's gears before the first battery charge was used up, and I decided it wasn't worth my time and gasoline taking it back for an exchange. Gave the batteries and charger to my son who also bought one. He hasn't said anything about it, so I assume his is either still working or he's so embarrassed about buying it that he's avoiding the subject.
A boat anchor in 10" SCMS clothing that was foisted off on a poor unsuspecting soul who claimed he wanted it. Not sure what he thinks about it now since he hasn't spoken to me since.
Other than that, and as a result of the hit and miss luck I've had with HF power tools, I pretty much limit my HF purchases to consumables and other non-power items.

Bob Johnson2
01-02-2009, 9:51 PM
I bought the 6" jointer many moons ago, late 80's maybe. For the amount of work I had to put into leveling the tables with a diamond plate I should have gotten something better. Still, it works. Other then that 2 sets of metric wrenches bought when you rarely ran into metric bolts. That's when I figured out that Pittsburg and Chicago tools were all made in China and were crap. Tried a couple pipe clamps, they got tossed. I think back then the only store was somewhere in Ca.

Alan DuBoff
01-02-2009, 11:23 PM
That mini mill is made by the same company. As are the mini lathes that are sold by HF, Grizzley, Homier, Cummins/ToolsNow. They are excellent machines for the money. For the most part color, accessories and customer service are the differences between the different vendors. I own the HF version of the Mini Mill the Homier version of the Mini Lathe and the HF version of the 9x20 lathe (also sold by Jet). I am very pleased with all of them. You can find lots of information on these mini machines at the bellow link. One word of caution. Like many other things that fancy the type of folks that are members her. This can be a very slippery slope.
Yes, I am well aware of that, but I am not as tickled with my mini-mill as you seem to be. I did buy it used for $200, but IMO, it's not up to the type of work I prefer to do.

1) it required a complete tear down and rebuild to get it clean and functioning properly, and trammed up decent. Swarf Rat sells a great DVD for doing just that, an additional expense, but a small one that was worth it.

2) I then ran into limitations with how far the spindle would travel, and would not get close enough to the table, which required taller fixtures.

3) Torsion support arm was in the way of my fixture, so needed to replace it with an air shock to get clearance, AND more importantly added spindle travel which seemed good.

4) A plastic gear???? In a metalworking machine???? Certainly you jest...replaced with a belt drive. This I put off and was using the plastic gear, when I finally did break down and replace it with a belt drive, it worked much better.

So, some of the limitations are overcome with after market replacement parts, case in point the belt drive and the air shock. But at the end of the day, I am still left with those lousy hand wheels, the crude screw, and a weak spindle on a machine that really isn't ridgid enough to work anything more than aluminum or brass.

The biggest problem I have with the mini-mill and mini-lathe is that they are substandard machines that seems to always have a carrot in front of your face to upgrade something on them, to bring them up to par. At the end of the day one is better off getting a quality tool, in the end it's possible to save money and end up with a better tool. When it was time to get a small lathe, I ended up with a South Bend 9A, paid $650 for it (after you get a could pieces of tooling with it). That was a way better deal than spending that much new for the mini-lathe, or even finding one used for $300-$400 which I see from time to time, locally. More plastic gears I don't need. :rolleyes:

That said, I have seen some excellent work done on the mini-mill and mini-lathe, but now that I have a Nichols horizontal mill and a South Bend 9A, the mini-mill has found a place to do only the simplest of jobs, like squaring up the ends of stock, working aluminum or brass, and only stuff that is smaller which can fit on the table. All our mileage varies, the miles I've traveled on mine have been painful...:o

Bart Leetch
01-03-2009, 2:05 AM
Well I say this tongue in cheek...its a judgment call buying from HF.

If you don't have judgment don't call.

I have only had 1 F style clamp fail out of a bunch of them I drilled out the pin & turned over the clutch plates works fine now. Don't buy the 3/4" pipe clamps with the spring loaded levers that hang out the end of the movable end rather buy the ones with clutch plates. some have said these slip I'll say yes probably on new pipe I purchased used pipe it was cheaper $2 for 17'. I have a number of the first mentioned pipe clamp style Craftsman pipe clamps that were my Dad's that are much better then the HF & I will be keeping. Bsck to the F style clamps go to the store & hand pick them make sure that the fixed anvil is cast at 90 degrees most are not. I also have the aluminum bar clamps & they work great also. Several more items a big roll around floor jack works great & several gear pullers, steering wheel puller & slide hammer style puller these smaller items are not used often but have worked fine.

Its always smarter to buy in person at the HF store.

Per Swenson
01-03-2009, 10:23 AM
Harbor Freight?

Okay I'm a cheapskate, but I swore I would never, ever reduce myself
to purchasing inferior merchandise to save a dollar.
Did I also mention I never listen to anybody, including myself?
I had to pump 500 gallons of fuel oil out of a underground tank.
Yeah, yeah, I'm a carpenter, but times being lean.....
So what the heck, add another 50 bucks to the bill and buy a harbor freight
hand cranked oil pump. Pumps 25 gallons a minute.
And that's exactly how long it lasted.
One minute. 25 gallons.
So, lets see, for trying to save a hundred dollars on a quality pump....
It cost me 500 bucks for three guys and a truck to stand around all day waiting on sub plot "B". Plus a new real pump.
Because I thought it was a bargain.
I should really know better.
Below the quality Chinese gears in said pump.
I felt like a grifters mark. A cheap greedy idjit.
Per

Bart Leetch
01-03-2009, 2:56 PM
The only mechanical things I've purchased from HF it the floor jack about 20 years ago still works great, 3 vix style bits work great & a couple of battery powered drills that I used for about 3 years $18 each so I got my money out of them. I prefer items like pipe & bar clamps that I can examine to make sure I it will work ok. I did pick up a 90 tooth 12" carbide CMS blade that has been great for $25. I prefer to buy at the store so I can look at the product before I purchase it. Oh I forgot a 23 gage pinner that has been real handy. This one I purchased mail order. One of the forums had a list of people that recommended it. I don’t have the SKU & it isn’t listed on the site.

Richard Daggett
01-03-2009, 3:14 PM
I purchased dust collector from them 3 years ago. It has been the best purchase I have made. It is used on every wood working project, the funny thing is I paid $129 and now it is $249. Not sure it is worth $249 since you are getting close to name brand prices. I have replaced the filter bag with cartridge filter from http://www.wynnenv.com/35A_series_cartridge_kit.htm

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=97869

Richard

Myk Rian
01-03-2009, 3:41 PM
Got the 2hp DC a couple years ago, and today I bought their dovetail jig for $39. Bought a 1 ton chain hoist so I could put my table saw on its wheels. Several smaller tools are in various places of the shop.

JD Dolan
01-03-2009, 3:42 PM
Some cheap c-clamps.

Alan DuBoff
01-03-2009, 3:49 PM
Some cheap c-clamps.
Isn't that what the c in c-clamp stands for? (i.e., cheap)

If it wasn't cheap, HF wouldn't sell it. ;)

Art Moore
01-04-2009, 5:27 AM
digital calipers (several pair, and they work well)
Infra-red non-contact thermometer (reads within 0.2 degrees of my ranco controller)
lots of miscellaneous hand tools for banging around the shop
Aluminum bar clamps, work well
F clamps (don't waste your time)
toggle clamps ( a very good buy)
baby drill press
4" mini-cutoff saw (worked well for 4 years until I overloaded it)
14" cutoff saw (still in the box)
sandpaper
miter track
router fences (bought 2, a good deal)
router speed control (works well)
cheap protractor (a dud)
cheapie multimeter (good for non-precision work)
18 ga. brad nailer (lasted one year)
router miter jig/small parts holder (does its job)
1-hp portable dust collector (does what I need it to do)

The name of the game seems to be caveat emptor; you pays your money and takes your chances... but if you're careful you can save some bucks.

Jim Dunn
01-04-2009, 9:53 AM
Automatic moisture release for my compressor. Haven't as yet installed it but it's on my to-do list.

Bart Leetch
01-04-2009, 11:07 AM
I think the only reason I have good F style HF clamps is I went to the store & hand picked each one. The lady working there wondered why I was pulling each one out of the box to check it. I showed her & she started helping me check them. On these clamps the anvil on the fixed end some times isn't cast at 90 degrees to the bar.

Paul Johnstone
01-05-2009, 11:51 AM
I should really know better..
Per

Don't feel bad. For some reason Harbor Freight is the Siren's Song of tools.
We all get bit at least once.

I have also come to the conclusion that it's just not worth saving a few bucks when you have the risk of lost time and possibly ruining material.

Bart Leetch
01-05-2009, 3:14 PM
I get a kick out of some of the statements about HF some are kinda like saying there are a few woodworkers on Sawmill Creek that are not very good so all of them are not very good.

Zach Dillinger
01-13-2009, 11:01 AM
Guys,

HF digital calipers (the cheap $9 ones) are handy. I built a digital height gauge after being inspired by one on the forum. However, I turned my caliper end for end and left the measuring jaws on mine. That way I can still use it as a digital caliper in addition to being a height gauge.

I also hooked one up to my Delta planer. My first operation was to run a board through the planer, it didn't matter what height I set it to. After that, I zeroed out the caliper by setting the jaws together. Then I measured the freshly planed board. Without changing the depth of cut on the planer, I hooked the caliper to the planer. My Delta had a screw that is used to hook the depth rule to the machine. I put that through the slot in the arm of the caliper. Then I attached the jaw to another sheet metal screw that is part of the handle / top roller assembly. As long as you are sure that you did not change the depth on the planer and that the caliper has the same reading that it did after measuring the planed board, it will work just fine.

As you can see in the pic, I left the measuring jaws on the caliper. This lets me measure unknown thickness boards and match others to them.

David Hostetler
03-19-2009, 10:39 PM
Big stuff?

Two items, somewhat modded from stock.

32208 14" Band Saw. Haven't had a lick of trouble with it. A coworker of mine bought a Ridgid BS1400 a little later than I got my HF, and has had it in for service twice already.

97869 2HP Dust Collector

Small stuff...

F bar clamps, a dozen each of 6", 12", 24" and 36". Never a lick of trouble with any of them. Don't have enough.

1852 corner clamps. Wouldn't wish these on my worst enemy.

38425 hole saw set. Functional, but had to be modded to function at all.

Don't know the model number, but the stud sensor / metal detector. Works great!

98851 Stainless Steel Digital Caliper. Works like a charm. Get the same readings from this that my friend gets with his Starrett...

Table Saw Taper jig. It was on sale, close enough to free it came home with me... It does what it is supposed to, but it is a pain to adjust...

Upcoming purchases?

34706 lathe.

Wondering if the Windsor Designs HSS lathe chisel set is any good...

george wilson
03-19-2009, 11:09 PM
I have an oak machinist's chest bought for $99.00 back in the 80's,before the other Asian Gerstner knock offs appeared (to me). It is crammed really full of end mills that weigh a ton,in 1 drawer,taps in another,heavy,again,drill bits,etc. Practically solid steel wall to wall. No bottoms have fallen out of the drawers. I even took the drawers out and transported it here. It has been a pretty decent chest,though I have heard all kinds of storys about Asian chests falling apart. I guess I'm lucky.

I also have a pair of Costco roller chest with risers,and machinist chests on top outfits. They cost 10% as much as a Gerstner,but they have held up fine. They aren't quite as well made as a Gerstner,but they are a whole lot better than 10% as good as one. I can't see spending several thousand on a "real" Gerstner. And,I am usually accused of being too particular,which I usually am.

David Hostetler
03-20-2009, 12:05 AM
I purchased dust collector from them 3 years ago. It has been the best purchase I have made. It is used on every wood working project, the funny thing is I paid $129 and now it is $249. Not sure it is worth $249 since you are getting close to name brand prices. I have replaced the filter bag with cartridge filter from http://www.wynnenv.com/35A_series_cartridge_kit.htm

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=97869

Richard

Richard,

The HF 2HP DC sold 3 years ago, from what the manager of my local HF tells me, is not the same machine as the 97869. The SKU # was 45378 and featured a smaller motor / impeller and 30 micron bags. The story is that the model was replaced in the 2008 catalog with the current one. That DC is widely regarded as a good base level DC, FAR better than the competing 1HP DCs from Jet, Delta, Shop Fox, Grizzly etc... At least until they compare filtering. That Wynn filter rocks though... In the Wood Magazine comparison it held its own against the likes of the Craftsman, Shop Fox, Jet and Grizzly models, (Except filtration, where it was equal to the Craftsman).

PLEASE don't mistake what I am saying about the earlier models... But I see a lot of folks knock the HF DC as being overrated in CFM and HP based on the older model with the smaller 14amp motor / and I believe smaller impeller... And in all honesty... That model DC got a LOT of people into proper dust collection, that is a good thing.

Phil Harding
03-20-2009, 12:11 AM
So, what's in your shop?

I have three Harbor Freight tools and each has done the job for me:

1. A hydraulic lift cart that I got on sale for $99
2. A three ton hydraulic crane that I bought last summer. It came in real handy when I needed to lift a 12" jointer. I haven't used it for anything else.
3. A fold-up trailer that I use three or four times a year to haul lumber.

I bought each of these becuase knew I would use them on a limited basis and the Harbor Fright quality was good enough.

-- Phil

Bart Leetch
03-20-2009, 12:33 AM
I I HAD one of their 23 gauge pinners for around a year just threw it away the other day I got tired of working on it to keep it working a PC pinner replaced it. You could say it served in 2 ways it worked fine for quite awhile & showed me I indeed did have a use for a 23 gauge pinner.

Bill Blackburn
03-20-2009, 9:12 AM
'fess to having had the 14" bandsaw - some tuning and added the riser block, Kreg fence, cool blocks, link belt and TW blades and it was great little saw for 9 years. Still used to resaw by a friend today.

2hp dust collector - solid w/ new bags. Still in use after 6-7 years by a buddy.

Loads of the gloves.

Pin nailers - purple. use daily. Under $10 at time. Outlasted 2 PC ones

AL clamps - ok
F-style clamps - some good, some stunk

20 gal air compressor - running great 8-9 years later. Spray w/ it
Misc guns - most fine

Lathe (large one)- never used it as my kid stole it the first day! He's learned on it, now has a Jet and PM and kept the HF too. Says it's done well by him as have the HSS turning tools.

welder sq., dial indicator and base (many in use), the 3 set of small machinist squares for under $10 on sale (buddy checked against his shop Starrett and they dead on) a super steal.....

I probably also have some other things I don't use much too - garden cart, things like that.

What I have kept was either of decent/servicable quality or in many cases even good and equal to things that others sell but at much higher cost.

I've returned a fair amount of crap too - I just toss it in a box and when I'm in the general area I'll make a trip and return all at once. They never bat an eye at it - matter of fact I'll say they have some of the best customer service and return policies of any place I have ever patronized.

They like almost any place I buy at and always caveat emptor - to many brands have let me down at one time or another in recent years that I am leary in general.

I'm now in market for routers - HF will not be the place I look I know for fact.:D

Dennis Lopeman
03-20-2009, 10:02 AM
I love this thread!! It's been running a LONG time now. I'm sure I've posted to it once or twice!!

My HF collection continues to increase. There's a couple basic rules that will keep you from returning a lot of crap:

1. Buy disposibles from HF. I.e. nitril gloves (I use when staining/varnishing, etc. Glue brushes - I go through a couple of these every time I'm in my shop....

2. Any tool/stuff that requires no acuracy: hammers, pliers, tool boxes, organizers, non-machine stuff.

3. I generally won't buy any power tools that need to be acurate. But I have... I'm sure a lathe would be OK, and maybe a drill press. But not a table saw, unless you just want to rough cut stuff.

I suppose I could go ON and ON. If you shop there enough, you will start to get a feel for what to buy and what NOT to buy.

Good stuff still serving me well:
- $40 air hose reel
- heavy gauge electric reel
- most of the air tools - these are almost disposible IMO - don't get the Orbital DA sander - that does suck
- nitril gloves and glue brushes
- hot air gun for peeling varnish
- gauges - digital calipers, angle gauge

I've had a fair share of bad stuff from HF - but have always returned it without questions:
- Air compressor oiler and water separator - don't think it worked at all
- nail countersinks (a three pack made of CRAP metal that was softer than the nails!) That's another good point - some items have real crappy metal - just handle them first before you buy them
- sandpaper sponges - they just fall apart while sanding!

I think I'll stop here! :)

Chris Konikowski
03-20-2009, 11:49 AM
Just as a rule of thumb, Quality and Cheap don’t go hand & hand very often.

I bought one of their air driven staplers last summer for a one time job and it performed well. Other than their nitrile gloves which I buy often, the stapler is the only “tool” that I have purchased from HF.

I don't know if this has been brought up yet as I haven't read the whole thread, but here goes:

What I see here is someone who has a 100% track record with harbour freight that is downing HF tools? I got ya that some of their stuff is junk, but a lot of it is just fine. These knockoff tools are getting better and better year after year. They have no R&D because they just duplicate known good tools most of the time. They sell them often at 1/5 of the brand name stuff. Things such as pneumatic nailers. If they don't last as long as the name brand stuff, so what! buy 3 of them, keep one in the truck, one in the shop and one as a spare and you are still ahead of the game...

Now the other side of the coin... I have tools and stuff that I have bought from them that did not last through the first use. At some point, it doesn't matter how cheap it is, it ain't worth it, and there is definitly some stuff that ain't worth it there!

Chris Konikowski
03-20-2009, 12:18 PM
I looked at a couple of name brand ones that sell for considerably more and look identical to the HF DC except for the color scheme. My guess is that they came off the same assembly line.

You hit the nail on the head. On a trip to Taiwan a number of years ago for a BIG company I worked for, I found out that a lot of the knock off products comming out of Taiwan were not knockoffs. They were off the same factory lines just out the back door. If Callaway ordered 1000 big berthas, the factory simply made 2000 and sold the extra as knockoffs.

This is not true for all their stuff obviously...

Brent Ring
03-20-2009, 3:17 PM
I have purchased a Chainsaw mill - Waste of money for the technology IMHO
I love the $19.00 pin nailer, and my 2hp compressor for $90.00 - I have the plastic calipers, and their deadblows seem to be decent. I buy sandpaper there cause I don't mine going thru it, and its cheap!

I just watch the ads!

Chris Tsutsui
03-20-2009, 3:42 PM
I only buy small misc items there, but recently I'm considering my first big purchase.

HF's 2HP Dust Collector was tagged for $189 yesterday when I was in their store. (normally $249)

Today they came out with a 20% off single item coupon.

Verrrry tempting for ~ $163 OTD

That leaves me with extra money for DC accessories.

Burt Alcantara
03-20-2009, 4:33 PM
Recently, I needed a 2" wrench. These things are huge and expensive. Adjustables are close to $50+. HF had an 18" adjustable with 2 1/8" cap jaw for $12. It's big but not the monsters that are sold by Ace and box stores, if you can even find them. For me, a great deal.

Burt

Michael Prisbylla
03-20-2009, 6:50 PM
Well, I'm poor and a woodworker so I've bought a fair share of HF tools. Unlike some, I've had very few duds, but I always look at the stuff in the store before buying. These are the things I can think of:

Big metalworking vise - big hunk of poorly sandcast & machined cast iron. Does what it's supposed to do.

Grinder stand - heavy, stable and cheap. A real winner.

Various 18 ga. nailers & narrow crown staplers. Never jam, they just work.

El cheapo lathe - this was given to me, I don't think I'd have paid for it.

Gigantic dustpan & bench brush - both work really well.

Clamps - F clamps, gotta inspect them one by one, but silly cheap when on sale, C clamps, no complaints, quick grip style clamps - absolute trash

Tap & die set - fine for chasing threads, not to be used for cutting them, use cutting oil with them.

Pancake air compressor - I change the oil regularly (Mobil 1) and it keeps on working. Heavy but fairly quiet compared to oilless ones.

Hose reel - works, cheap on sale.

Air fittings - ditto.

2 HP (yeah, right) dust collector - replaced the bags with good felt ones from Grizzly, it does what I want it to do, though Bill Pentz wouldn't approve. Was only $120 + 40 or so for bags.

Disposables - glue brushes, nitrile gloves, cutting wheels, micro fiber cloths, chip brushes (NOT for finishing), work gloves, all good deals when on sale. Latex gloves, sanding sponges, sandpaper - absolute trash.

Air die grinders - still working well after 10 years of fairly heavy use.

Dead blow hammer - works.

3/8 drive sockets - jury still out, haven't used them enough to see if they break under heavy torque, they probably will.

Dial indicators & magnetic bases - not Starrett, but functional and silly cheap on sale.

Nail sets - made from chewing gum.

2 sets of jack stands - they've stood up to over 10 years of regular use.

Paint brushes (I didn't buy them) worse than junk - heinous, ugly, useless, stinking, foul things. They aren't even worthy of landfill.

4" angle grinder - my father has one that has lasted over 10 years. I had a coworker that had one that got too hot to hold with any kind of real use. Go figure.

Cordless drill - trash, really, but OK for the odd hole. It was a gift for my fiancee. Not my finest hour in retrospect.

Toolbox drawer liner - good quality, silly cheap on closeout, something like 1/4 the cost of any other source.

Speed square - Wasn't.

Coil spring compressors (not mine) - Frightening. I wasn't trusting my hands to those pieces of junk.

All this said, even though I'm poor, I know when to get off my wallet and buy the best. The only power tool I own from HF is the dust collector. That's not an accident. Used is a much better buy than HF for stationary power tools IMO. I have made my living by using my tools and know when cheap is not a value at all. That said I have some used power tools that are awesome (mostly 60's era Craftsman industrial line). I've been working in my head about a post about how to be a poor woodworker. It ain't easy. I've learned a lot about how to get good values on tools and wood. I really should spread the info around so others can benefit from the knowledge gained from my successes and failures.

george wilson
03-20-2009, 8:14 PM
Last night Jay Leno showed some items from the .99 cent store. I couldn't help wondering if HF sold some of them. One item was a cross with Jesus on the front,and Betty Boop written on the back. Another was a magnifying glass that showed how big the print was on the package where the print went under the glass. Only,when you took off the glass,the print was just PRINTED BIG!!! Another item was an very large cherub riding a very small rhinocerous!! The rhino was about the size of a smallish dog in proportion.

He also showed an action hero with enormous arms. The hero was NOAH!!. One of my favorites from a local store was a very long plastic dog. The package said "ELONGATED DOG" !!

James Jackson
03-21-2009, 10:34 PM
I have found HF to be an excellent source of limited use tools, this is to say things that I need for a specific job or project; I reefer to these as “Blue Moon tools". The first air-tools I bought from HF was in 1986 to restore a 1964 IHC Scout 80 as well as work on my motorcycles. They preformed both tasks also many others over the years, (I make it a point to oil prior to use.), I now own Nailers and other air tools from HF purchased over the years as they were needed.

Observations on HF tools in general.

1. They have gotten cheaper over the years.
2. The quality of the finish work has improved, base metals and tolerances appear to have improved as well.

No, I don’t work for HF, I do buy things for the military and understand requirements and specifications. If you want a Cadillac buy one (and pay the price), need transportation buy a KIA.

This is no deferent that the Grizzly vice (Pick your favorite premier manufacture)

Look at what your needs are, look at what’s available and buy what makes sense.

If it HF so be it. Do not lament its not Snap-On or Laguna, you did not pay for those.

jrj