PDA

View Full Version : Leigh D4R Measurements?

Rick Hubbard
12-23-2008, 1:49 PM
At some point in time I’m considering buying a Leigh D4R dovetail jig. One thing that is going to influence my decision is the required mounting space (“footprint”) of the unit and its weight. I’ve searched high and low on the web for that information, but so far have come up empty-handed. Would it be possible that someone here who has the jig might take some measurements and give at least an estimate of how much it weighs?

Thank You Very Much

Rick

Harry Hagan
12-23-2008, 2:10 PM
Rick,

I have a new one that's still in the box. The labeling on the carton states that it's 23 lbs. and 36" x 8" x 8". Don't know if assembly changes those dimensions.

Ethan O'Neil
12-23-2008, 3:21 PM
I'm not at home to measure, but that sounds about right. I didn't permanently mount mine to a table. I mounted it to a piece of 3/4" plywood that longer than the jig, and then clamp it to my bench when I need to use it. Keeps it out of the way when I have other things to use the bench for.

Charles Saunders
12-23-2008, 3:32 PM
I have a Leigh D3 (predecessor to D4, but fairly similar) and it's 31.5 wide, 8 high and 11 deep when set up with knobs, hold-downs, etc. As a practical matter you would probably find yourself mounting it to a riser or at least a board, so the numbers above are probably minimums for storage.

Rick Hubbard
12-24-2008, 9:06 AM
Thanks for the info Harry and Charles. Those measurements are close enough for “planning purposes”. Since I am getting short of space in the shop, what I have in mind is a folding table setup that will keep the D4R out of the way when not in use, but at the same time make it very convenient to open up and use.

I’ve attached a couple of rudimentary renderings to illustrate what I mean. Comments?

Rick

Dave Verstraete
12-24-2008, 9:16 AM
Rick
Before you build the stand, I would suggest using the jig at different heights. I found that I prefer the dovetailing jig a little higher than a router table. It allows me to occasionally glance under the router to find the next spot. It really depends on your height. Leigh's instruction book shows methods of mounting the jig.

Rick Hubbard
12-24-2008, 9:29 AM
Hi Dave

Thanks for bringing up the height issue- I meant to ask about that. When I use my Jet dovetail jig I mount it on my workbench and I have always had the sense that it is way too low. It doesn’t take long at all and I wind up with kinks in my back and neck. I was actually thinking of building the table tall enough so that the router base would be at chest level when I am using it. I wonder if that is TOO high?

Rick

Jim Kountz
12-24-2008, 9:38 AM
Well for me it chest high is not too high. I like having my jig up where I can see the bit action. You could mock up something and do some dry runs with your router in place to get a feel for everything. Or adapt your mounting idea in your other post to be height adjustable. That would be cool too!!

Rick Hubbard
12-24-2008, 9:49 AM
Or adapt your mounting idea in your other post to be height adjustable. That would be cool too!!

Oh Goody! I love engineering challenges. How about if I put the open-sided box that the table top pivots inside of into ANOTHER open-sided box so it can slide up and down and use pegs in holes drilled through the sides of both boxes to adjust its height? Or is there a better way?

Rick

Jim Kountz
12-24-2008, 10:05 AM
I that'll work just fine!! Kinda what I had in mind actually but maybe with slots cut in the second box then just use some carriage bolts and knobs to lock the height anywhere you want it!!