PDA

View Full Version : Where is the Love ?

Heather Thompson
12-23-2008, 1:41 PM
Fellow Creekers,

I have to say that I am a little disappointed in this community, yesterday morning on one of my many daily visits to the Creek I saw a post in the "General Woodworking and Power Tools" section titled "30 Years of Pleasure", it caught my eye. When I opened the thread this is what I read, " This is my first post in any forum, I have always liked reading the good questions & answers .
I am 71 years old and have had "30 years of pleasure" woodworking. I am not "Norm or David Marks" , I have no way of posting pictures so I can not show you the things I have built , but I enjoy the pictures others post.
My question today is: does anyone make a dado set with a chipper that will measure 23/32 without useing shims ?"
I fielded the question and welcomed Bob to the Creek, told him that there were lots of nice folks here, just viewed the thread again, no one else made a post to welcome this gentleman or give additional information. Looked up this thread again to see if anyone viewed it, 207 views, personally I think this stinks, we are a family here and I think we need to extend the proper Creek hospitality. If I had any way of knowing who those 207 folks were, I would be sure to put coal in their Christmas stocking and give Santa a quick call so he could update his list appropriately.

Heather :(

Justin Leiwig
12-23-2008, 1:58 PM
Fellow Creekers,

I have to say that I am a little disappointed in this community, yesterday morning on one of my many daily visits to the Creek I saw a post in the "General Woodworking and Power Tools" section titled "30 Years of Pleasure", it caught my eye. When I opened the thread this is what I read, " This is my first post in any forum, I have always liked reading the good questions & answers .
I am 71 years old and have had "30 years of pleasure" woodworking. I am not "Norm or David Marks" , I have no way of posting pictures so I can not show you the things I have built , but I enjoy the pictures others post.
My question today is: does anyone make a dado set with a chipper that will measure 23/32 without useing shims ?"
I fielded the question and welcomed Bob to the Creek, told him that there were lots of nice folks here, just viewed the thread again, no one else made a post to welcome this gentleman or give additional information. Looked up this thread again to see if anyone viewed it, 207 views, personally I think this stinks, we are a family here and I think we need to extend the proper Creek hospitality. If I had any way of knowing who those 207 folks were, I would be sure to put coal in their Christmas stocking and give Santa a quick call so he could update his list appropriately.

Heather :(

Well when I normally come on daily there are at least 6 pages of new posts. Today there are only two pages of posts. I imagine a lot of people are busy fulfilling last minute Christmas needs or already gone for the holidays. You will also find that about 80% of the posts are by a select few of the forum regulars. It is like this on every forum. There is always a Jim Becker who has trillions of posts. I wouldn't jump everyone because two days before the biggest holiday of the year they are a little slow to answer. I'd also bet that 200 of those 207 posts are by lurkers who hardly ever post.

Heather Thompson
12-23-2008, 2:14 PM
Well when I normally come on daily there are at least 6 pages of new posts. Today there are only two pages of posts. I imagine a lot of people are busy fulfilling last minute Christmas needs or already gone for the holidays. You will also find that about 80% of the posts are by a select few of the forum regulars. It is like this on every forum. There is always a Jim Becker who has trillions of posts. I wouldn't jump everyone because two days before the biggest holiday of the year they are a little slow to answer. I'd also bet that 200 of those 207 posts are by lurkers who hardly ever post.

Justin,

I am not trying to jump everyone, just sharing my feelings, lets see if you find the time to post to this man's thread.

Heather

Justin Leiwig
12-23-2008, 2:26 PM
Justin,

I am not trying to jump everyone, just sharing my feelings, lets see if you find the time to post to this man's thread.

Heather

don't know the answer...no reason to post in my opinion.

Walt Caza
12-23-2008, 2:26 PM
Hi Heather,
I believe you mean well.
Perhaps many could not answer the OP's question?
Also, it is about the busiest time of year for many people.

You ask 'where is the love'?
Some might consider passing judgement on others, over an over-sight or
error of ommission, of which they may or may not be aware, to be less than loving as well.
Gifting lumps of coal might be a bit uncalled for...

Myself, I had not yet noticed Bob's posting.
I would have welcomed him if I had noticed.

Justin is correct, lurkers abound. Tis the nature of the beast.
No reason to get your feathers ruffled.
With his life experience, Bob has surely learned a little patience by now?
I am confident our community will help him and welcome him in good time.

While it is nice of you to rally to Bob's cause, perhaps you could leave Santa out of it?
The list of naughty people is plenty long already.
Let's give peace a chance!
be well,
Walt

ps Merry Christmas!

Jim Becker
12-23-2008, 2:54 PM
I honestly didn't see that thread, Heather...but I will find it.

John Keeton
12-23-2008, 3:33 PM
Please do understand that those who may have information to share regarding that particular topic may have simply failed to see the post. I did view the post, but could offer nothing as I use a different dado setup. It would not have benefitted the OP to get 207 posts saying that the responder could not help.

I agree that the post cries out for information, but then so do many others. Perhaps the "I am 71 years old and have had "30 years of pleasure" woodworking." pulled at your heartstrings more so than some of the other postings that get no responses - and there are several. I took a moment to look back over just this past week and noticed 3 or 4.

Perhaps others will see the post - you could post to it to bump it for others to view.

I checked the thread again, and notice that others have posted - so hopefully the OP has received helpful information.

Please, no coal for my stocking!

Andrew Nemeth
12-23-2008, 3:41 PM
Heather,

I checked sawmill creek several times yesterday and for some reason I did not see Bob's post among my new posts. This morning I saw it and wanted to take some measurements of my set for him before posting. It seems like many others missed it as well yesterday for whatever reason. I must say that your remarks seemed a little judgmental and possibly jumping to conclusions. Most first time posters, in my experience, receive a warm welcome to the creek, as I did last year at about this time.

One of the main reasons I do choose to participate in this forum is because of the feeling of community that SMC has. Unlike most forums I have visited, I do not feel as though most member of SMC pass judgment on others very often. If you really want to welcome new members into our ranks I ask you to try to do so in a constructive way instead of chastising the community that we all seem to appriciate. (Maybe a new responce in the new members post to "bump" it to the top of everyones new post list. Maybe a new thread titled "Let's all welcome Bob to SMC" and explaining to others how for one reason or another Bob did not recieve the welcome that most creekers do). In my humble opinion, passing out coal is for the other forums not SMC.

Dennis Peacock
12-23-2008, 3:50 PM
Sorry Heather. I've been a bit pre-occupied.....I've been busy loving on my oldest son who is visiting from his residence out of state. This time of year is not a time where I stay on the Creek a lot, but have a lot of things to do before Christmas morning.

It is people like you Heather that make me even more proud to be living in America. People that care. I really like that in people. :) Good on ya.!!!

Ron Dunn
12-23-2008, 5:50 PM
Part of the reason is the thread title. If it had been something like:

"23/32 Dado Set?"

he would probably have got more answers.

Grumpy old buggers like me tend to skip over the soft and mushy stuff, and give lower priority to threads with ambiguous titles. That also applies to stuff like:

"Can anyone help me with ..."
"Just a reminder"
"Lookin for help"
etc.

The title is the most important part of a new thread.

Glenn Clabo
12-23-2008, 6:21 PM
Heather..Ya done good. Sometimes we all get caught up in ourself. It worked...