PDA

View Full Version : Distance Laser Welding

Dan Hintz
12-23-2008, 12:22 PM
Thought this video was interesting... it's a laser welding system from Comau. It can spot weld items from over a full meter away, no touching necessary.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP66CbwvxS4

I'm thinking some play with the optics and you have a nasty little home defense system ;-)

Phil Garcia
12-23-2008, 12:59 PM
Nice video Dan, I really liked it. I also looked at some the other related videos that popped up...like the Honda Robot and the AMG v8 engine, etc... that's some really cool stuff.:D

Gregg Vaughn
12-23-2008, 1:52 PM
What power/speed setting would you use for BURGLAR if you added this to your home alarm system?

Doug Griffith
12-23-2008, 2:01 PM
I'd use 100/100 with a frequency of 1. It should give a good machine gun effect as they run out the door.

A red dot pointer would add to the excitement.

Cheers,
Doug

Phil Garcia
12-24-2008, 4:53 PM
I think I would set it for vector cut at the legs...that would slow them down.:cool:

Frank Corker
12-24-2008, 6:07 PM
Amazing! Next thing you know they will be engraving pictures on wood, glass and acrylic!

John W. Love
12-26-2008, 7:09 PM
I think the security system is a great idea, however as the father of teenage girls I wonder what the setting would be to neuter the first boy that decides to attempt to get to 3rd base with my girls? I think that would work better than cleaning the shotgun when they come over to pick up the girls for a date. I am also thinking it would only take one example for the word to get out that its hands off when they take my girls on a date! :eek:

Dave Johnson29
12-27-2008, 5:45 PM
I think that would work better than cleaning the shotgun when they come over to pick up the girls for a date.

John,

That reminded me of a comment in one of Bill Engeval's comedy routines, where he says to the young suitor, "I don't mind going back to prison."

Dan Hintz
12-29-2008, 8:52 AM
When she's old enough, my line will be (while cleaning the .45) "I have a shovel and 10 acres of land... she's home by 9 with virginity intact."

David Dustin
12-30-2008, 11:14 AM
I have an excellent technique for sharpening knives to a razors edge (all those years working for a scissors company).

I used to make a point of telling my daughters dates that I sharpen knives, really really sharp edges.

They caught on pretty quickly.

But the laser Idea is much better!!

David
EDIT: It looks like a modified Fanuc R-2000, I made an animation of one of those....

John W. Love
12-30-2008, 10:25 PM
I used to make a point of telling my daughters dates that I sharpen knives, really really sharp edges.

Yeah, I bet that did get their attention!