PDA

View Full Version : 10" Combo Jointer / Planer -Axminster Tools?

Corey Filkins
12-23-2008, 9:27 AM
So I found a new tool I want (my wife keeps telling me I find a new one once a week) so here it is:

Axminster AW106PT2 Planer Thicknesser with Cast Iron Fence

http://www.axminster.co.uk/pricing/INC/cid/ENRHRD1YW2CQ61RDHC0SDVED985K28L2/product-Axminster-AW106PT2-Planer-Thicknesser-with-Cast-Iron-Fence-650093.htm

I have limited space in my garage and the 12" models (Grizzly and Jet) are to expensive for my blood. I heard Grizzly was coming out with a new 10" model at a much lower price, but time will tell.

I emailed Axminster to see how much the shipping would be and the total was around 1400 USD.

Any other models in the US (I live in Texas) that we have to choose from?

Jeffrey Makiel
12-23-2008, 11:10 AM
I don't think its available in the US. Also, the currency shown is Euros, not greenbacks, but $1,400 USD looks about right if you can get it. It may also be 50Hz power instead of 60Hz.

I hope more of these machines make their way to the US. They seem to be very popular over there.
-Jeff :)

Jeffrey Makiel
12-23-2008, 11:33 AM
Corey,

Other choices are:

Rojek
Mini-Max
Felder
Hammer
The last three are pricey but I only hear good things about them. Rojek has two models: One with fixed jointer tables, and one with swing away tables. All of them are 12" though...sorry.

glenn bradley
12-23-2008, 11:49 AM
I haven't seen this machine available in a 60Hz version but, that doesn't mean they aren't doing it. Have you confirmed?

Joe Von Kaenel
12-23-2008, 12:32 PM
Corey,

Jet makes a Jet - 707410 - 10" Planer / Jointer Heavy-Duty B3NCH - JJP-10BTOSJoi for $399.99 and JJP-8BT, 8" Jointer / Planer Combo for $319.99. My concern would be about having no distribitors or parts suppliers in the USA. Parts would cost a lot to ship from the UK and sending the machine back for repairs would be costly. IMO

Joe

Corey Filkins
12-23-2008, 6:00 PM
Thanks for the information everyone.

I have confirmed that they will ship to the USA. I emailed them with my zip code and asked for a quote. They said shipping to the US was not a problem, just costly.

Basically is was double the price to add shipping to it (So 1000 pounds or $1400 dollars.

What to do what to do.

I heard Grizzly was coming out with a 10" verison soon as well with a price point of around $1400.

Thanks for the input.

Jeffrey Makiel
12-23-2008, 6:21 PM
Here's a linky on the new 10" Grizzly combo:

http://www.woodshopnews.com/index.php/tools-machines/18-tools-a-machines/497812-grizzly-adds-10q-combo-jointerplaner

If you wait until January 1st, the Grizzly website will be updated and perhaps feature the new 10" combo.

Barry Vabeach
12-23-2008, 7:04 PM
Corey, laguna also offers a 10 inch, it is the platinum edition which I understand means it is made in China. I don't know anything about its quality, though FWW did a mini review of the 12 inch and said it was comparable to the Grizzly 12 inch. http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/toolguide/toolguideproduct.aspx?tab=_editor&id=32059
The laguna site shows the prices with straight knives and with the option of spiral knives. I called and asked if there were any near me a while ago because I wanted to see the changeover in person - the way the guard flipped forward looked wierd to me in the video, and they said there weren't any near me, so I went with the Jet.