PDA

View Full Version : Drill Press - 110 or 220v?

Russ Filtz
06-16-2004, 4:56 PM
Just ordered a drill press and was wondering if it's worth it to re-wire to 220V? Only has a 3/4 HP motor, but if I decide to run other stuff at same time (shop vac) could it trip a breaker? ThinK I have 20A on my 110 line. I have either voltage handy so no problem there. I'm leaning on going 220 like my TS.

Carl Eyman
06-16-2004, 6:01 PM
Don't cross the bridge before you get to the stream. If you have problems change, but you probably won't

Chris Padilla
06-16-2004, 6:08 PM
Russ,

If it is convenient to change over, then go for it. But if it costs you anything like money for outlets or additional breakers or rewiring a plug or getting an extension or anything at all...forget about it.

Mine is at 120 V and I may move it to 240 V but I haven't decided yet...I'm remodeling the garage and rewiring it so I need to figure out if I have a good reason to switch it over.

Tyler Howell
06-16-2004, 6:44 PM
220 gives you snappier start up, less current flow, more efficient transfer of electricity (here we go with the battle) and cooler operation!

I like it, have converted every tool capable that stays in the shop. It can limit where you put the DP if you don't have ample wiring. 220 parts, pluggs, breakers, and outlets cost more$$$ No X cords please. Major fire hazard for a permanant installation.
Just my $10 dollars worth. (Hey I value my opinion:rolleyes: )

Russ Filtz
06-16-2004, 8:51 PM
I have everything in place as stated, 220 circuits right next to my 110. Only thing I need to buy is a locking hubble plug like I have on my TS. I also like running 220 when I can, just wondered if I HAD to.

Mark Singer
06-16-2004, 8:57 PM
Tyler,
Is definitley running on 220V. Its hard to keepup with him

Chris Padilla
06-16-2004, 9:24 PM
For starters, Folks, it is 120 V and 240 V that is our standard voltage for household wiring in the US and Canada. In most of Western Europe, 240 V dominates. Go measure it with a meter; mine is within 2% of this value. This is the rms value, by the way and not peak. Peak is root 2 or 70.7% higher.

Anyway, I've come to the realization that no matter how small the difference, running less current through the wires in your house will generate less heat from those wires. I^2R (i squared R) tells you everything you need to know.

Look at how power is transmitted in the US: For long-distance power transmission it is desirable to use as high a voltage and as small a current as possible; this reduces i^2R losses in the transmission lines, and smaller wires can be used, saving on material cost. Present-day transimission lines routinely operate at rms voltages on the order of 500 kV (500,000 V)!! Transformers are then used to step-down this massive voltage to feed 240 V to our homes.

There, it hurt, but I must agree with Tyler about the wires feeding the motor running cooler but the motor itself, doesn't run any cooler. :)

Peace.

Tyler Howell
06-16-2004, 11:05 PM
Back off People just a hot one !
Come off the theoretical cloud and plug in a meter. Peak voltage or RMS. Seen readings from 98VAC- 243VAC and everything in between.

For starters, Folks, it is 120 V and 240 V that is our standard voltage for household wiring in the US and Canada. In most of Western Europe, 240 V dominates. Go measure it with a meter; mine is within 2% of this value. This is the rms value, by the way and not peak. Peak is root 2 or 70.7% higher.

Anyway, I've come to the realization that no matter how small the difference, running less current through the wires in your house will generate less heat from those wires. I^2R (i squared R) tells you everything you need to know.

Look at how power is transmitted in the US: For long-distance power transmission it is desirable to use as high a voltage and as small a current as possible; this reduces i^2R losses in the transmission lines, and smaller wires can be used, saving on material cost. Present-day transimission lines routinely operate at rms voltages on the order of 500 kV (500,000 V)!! Transformers are then used to step-down this massive voltage to feed 240 V to our homes.

There, it hurt, but I must agree with Tyler about the wires feeding the motor running cooler but the motor itself, doesn't run any cooler. :)

Peace.

Alan Tolchinsky
06-17-2004, 12:05 AM
Just ordered a drill press and was wondering if it's worth it to re-wire to 220V? Only has a 3/4 HP motor, but if I decide to run other stuff at same time (shop vac) could it trip a breaker? ThinK I have 20A on my 110 line. I have either voltage handy so no problem there. I'm leaning on going 220 like my TS.

Russ, Ijust converted my table saw to 220 and boy did it make a difference. Like Tyler says, it starts up a LOT quicker. It's like a shuttle launch and it sort of bangs to life. And it doesn't bog down like before. But I'll admit that a lot of this could be due to getting the saw off an overloaded 115 circuit.

I'm not so sure you need this in a drill press though. Mine always seems to have more than enough power. What's your reason for considering the switch? Alan

Rob Russell
06-17-2004, 10:03 AM
I'm a "run it on 240v" bigot, but wouldn't convert my 120v DP to 240v just to run it on 240v. I just don't see the need. The difference in heat generated in the wires between 120v and 240v for a 3/4 HP motor just isn't worth worrying about. "Snapping to life" isn't something I worry about on a DP, nor is heavy current draw.

I have a Clausing floor model DP that I am converting from 120v to 240v - but to 3-phase. The reason for that is the variable speed that will come from using a VFD to generate the 3-phase (I'm not hooking it up to the phase convertor). I have the motor. I have the VFD. I haven't had time to make the conversion and have just used the DP as is, on 120v.

Works fine, except for the slowest speed isn't slow enough for what I want (hence the VFD).

Rob

Russ Filtz
06-17-2004, 10:16 AM
Chris, yea I know its 240, but most people seem to say 220. 110/220 is the typical rating given to appliances that are supposed to run on 120/240. The downrating just means they will run on the typically lower voltage found at the outlet.

I guess I'm just a 220/240 snob! Just like saying I'm running on the higher voltage. Non-woodworkers always seem surprised, "wow, you have 220 in your garage!"

As stated, I'm not worried about the 3/4hp motor alone, just wonder if the circuit will take the DP, vac, worklight, space heater in winter, etc.! Plus, just plugging in the pre-wired 120v is too easy! :D