PDA

View Full Version : Re-use of old cast iron table saw top?

Duane McGuire
12-23-2008, 8:11 AM
The table saw I bought used in 1979 failed the second time a couple years ago. It was a delta/rockwell home-owner class saw with a universal (brush) motor integrated into the arbor mechanism. As such, the motor is not a simple (inexpensive) replaceable item. The first time it failed, I had the motor rewound. The second time, I went to Home Depot and bought an upgraded tablesaw.

I liked that saw, because it had a full cast iron table with cast iron wings (about 30X30, I think). I don't toss out good junk, and I've thought that table would make a great router table top. But it would be much more practical to build a router table in the more conventional manner, because I'd have a dickens of a time routing an opening for the router in that cast iron top.

Any experience with this sort of thing? Should I just bite the bullet and haul the thing to the dump? Suggestions of alternate uses for that table saw top?

Barry Vabeach
12-23-2008, 8:42 AM
Duane, on Neandethal forum, people are always looking for flat cast iron as it is a great substate for sharpening - either with diamond paste or lapping compounds - so don't haul it to the dump, if you can't use it as a router table, offer it for free to a local woodworker who will put it to use.

Jeff Duncan
12-23-2008, 9:49 AM
I had a cast iron top years ago from a bandsaw, must have weighed over a hundred pounds, I used it for welding and brazing on top of my bench:D
Just an idea.....
JeffD

Frank Drew
12-23-2008, 10:40 AM
Duane,

At the very least, try to get it to a metals recycler (scrap yard), rather than just throwing it into the landfill.

Myk Rian
12-23-2008, 10:58 AM
If there is room underneath for a router, between any cast bracing, the next problem might be if is it flat. You need that flat surface to mount a router.

Duane McGuire
12-23-2008, 12:16 PM
If there is room underneath for a router, between any cast bracing, the next problem might be if is it flat. You need that flat surface to mount a router.

Exactly. It may be more trouble than it's worth.

Gary Lange
12-23-2008, 1:12 PM
What about seeing if Quality Grinding could in fact cut the section for the router for you?

Steve Clardy
12-23-2008, 7:54 PM
Strip the fence off, mount some castors to it and use it for a portable do-all table maybe

Duane McGuire
12-23-2008, 8:00 PM
What about seeing if Quality Grinding could in fact cut the section for the router for you?

I'd wondered if a machine shop could do it for me "affordably". After seeing your post, I visited the website of http://www.qualitygrinding.com/. I assume that's who you were suggesting. Its a thought!

Just don't know that I'm going to decide the cast iron top is worth it over an MDF approach! I do wonder, though!

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-23-2008, 9:36 PM
Bear in mind that cast iron is about the most free machining form Iron can take. It machines almost easier than aluminum so if you want to hole it bore it drill & tap or whatever the probability is that you can.

Sonny Edmonds
12-23-2008, 10:23 PM
A mooring anchor comes to mind.
Nice big flat iron sunk in the mud could hold a boat real well. :rolleyes:

Gary Lange
12-23-2008, 10:28 PM
Duane, You can call and ask if they can and how much. I am sure that they can and would do it. If it is a good size then it would make a very good router table top. You could build a good cabinet and have a router system that would last a life time or two.

Chip Lindley
12-24-2008, 4:12 AM
Duane, be prepared for sticker shock from a machine shop who will even consider milling the table underside for a router. Your best bet is an amateur machinist who might need some woodworking done in return for his time. Those guys love a challenge, and the barter system is still alive and well!

Consider how much shipping (round trip) will be if you decide to have a shop mill the table out of your local area. $$OUCH! on heavy shipments over 70 pounds!

BTW, CI is worth less than .02 a pound at recyclers. Not worth your gas to haul it there.

By the time you add up your options here, you could probably have a brand new steel router top from Quality Grinding! IMO

Duane McGuire
12-25-2008, 8:03 AM
Duane, be prepared for sticker shock

Chip, I hate sticker shock. You seem to have a knack for stating my repressed fears. Fear that my cool junk is worthless. :D

I'll probably remove the tabletop, haul the stand to the dump and use the tabletop for workbench ballast. My kids can inherit the thing. Hope it brings back fond memories of Dad the junk collector.

In all seriousness, I do appreciate the good comments of folks who have posted ideas here. It has almost spurred me to action ;)

I'll have to give credit to Jeff Duncan:
I had a cast iron top years ago from a bandsaw ...used it for welding and brazing on top of my bench

Jeff, your comment may have saved my junk from an undeserved fate.

Rich Engelhardt
12-25-2008, 9:44 AM
Hello,
Personally, I'd invest a few bucks on one of those abrasive blades for a circ. saw and see what it would do.
(One of the posters over at the Festool forums used his TS55 to cut a granite counter top.)
I'm inclined to believe with enough light passes you could cut a square opening in it.

Like Cliff said above, CI isn't all that difficult to work.

I know a couple of guys that use those abrasive blades on circ. saws to cut through old cast iron stand pipes and stacks. They zip though them in a few seconds.