PDA

View Full Version : BLO questions

Elijah Fontenot
12-22-2008, 10:52 PM
I made a top to a podeum with Jatoba and walnut. I thought that BLO would make a great finish, so I have applied 3 coats of blo 24hrs appart. When I wipe on the oil, the grain pops and i see oranges and deep reds and some figure. Now when I go back to it there is no more "POP" to the wood until I apply the next coat.

My question is, how can I keep the look of freshly wiped on BLO? What should I put ontop of my finish?

Thanks!

Joe Chritz
12-23-2008, 1:13 AM
Take a few samples and test anything you have handy.

BLO isn't really a finish for anything that will take some abuse. It offers very little protection and is generally used for that grain enhancement, especially under waterbase finishes which tend to be "flat" with a few exceptions.

I would start with a good quality wiping varnish like thinned Rockhard or Waterlox if you aren't going to spray. If you have access to spray I would look seriously at Targets Conversion varnish or Hybrivar. A podium is likely to take more than the normal amount of wear.

Joe

Robby Tacheny
12-23-2008, 7:30 AM
Gloss Polyurethane on top would really make it pop. However, getting it even will take some work. Maybe you could build up thin layers by spraying slow and even from a can?

I just did my first projects with BLO and the results are impressive so far. I have always just used shellac or water based polyurethane thus far.

-R

John Keeton
12-23-2008, 7:48 AM
Joe, are you just finishing the top? What kind of finish is on the rest of the piece, and do you need to match that?

On vertically emphasized pieces I don't care for a gloss finish as I think it is distracting. Often, the glare detracts from the beauty of the wood, and shows up any defects in the finish or underlying construction - particularly in a stage situation.

I would go with more of a satin, and use a wiping varnish. The only areas that will get a lot of wear are the top and edges of the top. The remainder will rarely get touched. You could use a couple extra coats on the top since that is the area on which you are working.

Technically, a podium is actually the raised portion of a stage. The lecturn or lectern is the piece of furniture from which one speaks and probably what you have built a top for. If not, if you have actually constructed a podium top, then we need to talk about a floor finish that will take wear.

Jim Becker
12-23-2008, 8:05 AM
You only need to apply the BLO once...there is no appreciable benefit from more than one application if you are using it for color, etc. If you will be applying a water borne finish, get a coat of dewaxed shellac on next. If you will be applying an oil based finish, such as a wiping varnish, you can start on that after the BLO you have already applied has cured. (smell goes away) If you want the "soft" finish that the oil alone brought, use a Danish oil finish...make your own by mixing BLO, Mineral Spirits and an oil based varnish in equal parts. This gets wiped on, left sit for 10-15 minutes and all excess wiped off. Several applications in the same way will get the job done.