PDA

View Full Version : Turned Commemorative box

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
06-16-2004, 12:15 PM
I completed a turned box this morning for a co-worker. He wanted me to make a commemorative box for his cousin whose younger brother was killed in an auto accident several years ago. They are having a family reunion and he thought it would be nice to have something made up for the young man's family. I asked Keith Outten to help out, and he did the usual fantastic job editing the picture and engraving the corian. I had a piece of walnut stashed away and figured this would be as good a reason to use it as any. The corian circle is 7 inches in diameter and laser engraved. The box is 7 1/2 inches X 2 inches deep. I left the top with a 1/8 inch reveal to allow picking the lid up. There's some storage underneath,for small items or change. A couple coats of Teak oil finished it off. Thanks for looking. Have fun and be safe.

Chris Padilla
06-16-2004, 12:18 PM
Very nice, Ron...you are turning out some nice stuff as of late! :)

Donnie Raines
06-16-2004, 12:39 PM
Ron, very nice project to honor a young life lost.

Jim Ketron
06-16-2004, 3:54 PM
Great job!!

They will cherish it Im sure
How did you do the lid with the pic?
Jim

Dick Parr
06-16-2004, 4:10 PM
Very nice Ron!

Alan Tolchinsky
06-16-2004, 4:44 PM
Great idea and done with class. I like the contrast between the walnut and corian. Alan in Md.

Ted Calver
06-16-2004, 6:59 PM
Ron,
A good idea nicely executed. Have you tried Corian as a scrimshaw medium??
Ted

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
06-16-2004, 7:28 PM
It's simple little projects like this that mean a lot to folks.

Jim, The lid is simply a piece of 1/2" corian cut in a 7" circle that Keith Outten supplied. I gave him some ideas on what I wanted and sent him the photo of the young man. Keith then did the editing, engraving and painting of the corian. He can do some amazing things with that equipment. I then turned the wooden box to fit the lid.

Alan, I liked the contrast, myself. I had a piece of walnut with some pretty grain I was saving, but this project seemed to call for it. I also had some cherry, but wanted more of a contrast for a "guys" project. He asked me to leave some tool marks in the bowl to show it was really "hand made". Go figure. I decided this would be no problem, since most of mine have them anyway. Something to be said for rustic, I guess.

Ted, I have done a couple of pieces on some ivory colored corain. It looks great to me, much like on simulated ivory knife handles. I have already sent them to my brother in CA, or I'd send you a pict.