PDA

View Full Version : Mushroom forms ...Grain orientation?

Dan Forman
12-22-2008, 8:56 PM
I made a few of these mushrooms for bottle stoppers and ornaments. It's dry spalted birch, with the grain running parallel to the axis. 2 1/4" x 1 3/4".
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/P1020172.jpg

If you were going to make some larger ones (up to 6" diameter stock) out of green wood, how would you orient the grain, as a spindle or bowl blank, and what would you do to prevent splitting? Warping would be ok, would even add a little character.

I've mostly been doing pens, so I have no real experience with green wood. Thanks for your suggestions.

Dan

Dennis Ford
12-22-2008, 9:08 PM
They should work in spindle orientation IF the pith is NOT included.

Steve Schlumpf
12-22-2008, 9:52 PM
Pretty mushroom Dan! Love the spalted wood!

I agree with Dennis - spindle orientation should work out well for this. I would think if the stem portion was slightly thinner it would have a good chance to warp while drying. Good luck with it!

Bernie Weishapl
12-22-2008, 10:37 PM
That is one pretty mushroom. I agree with spindle orientation.

Dan Forman
12-22-2008, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the comments, still wondering if I would I need to seal the end grain, or just leave it to dry naturally?

Dan

Curt Fuller
12-22-2008, 10:45 PM
I'd just keep doing them like the one you've shown. That would make a nice looking bottle stopper.

Tom Wilson66
12-22-2008, 10:56 PM
Dan, the ones I've done from green wood have all been spindle turned,and they have all split:eek: IMHO this adds to the appearance of the mushroom, makes it seem more "natural".

Scott Lux
12-23-2008, 9:37 AM
Ditto what Tom said. Some (most) split and look very natural.

These are made from Bush Honeysuckle, a nuisance invasive species. At least I found a use for it. :D

Your mushroom is far too refined and nice. It's obvioulsy from a far better class of turner.