PDA

View Full Version : Double rocker

Nick Penchuk
12-22-2008, 7:14 PM
I have made several Maloof style rockers in the past that have turned out pretty well. Now I decided to make a double seat rocker which is also shaping up well. My big concern is the strength of the seat. It is made out of 8/4 walnut and is 39 1/2 inches wide. The thinest part of the seat, where it is carved, is still over an 1 1/8 thick, and the eight pieces are all joined with four 1/2 inch dowels and Titebond III. However, I can still see the spring in the seat if pressure is applied in the center. I thought about putting some supports under the seat, but don't want them to show. Then I thought about routing out one or two strips under the seat and gluing a support in place that would be flush with the bottom.

Does anyone have any experience with this, or have any other ideas?

Thanks.

Dewey Torres
12-22-2008, 7:21 PM
Nick,
I have never done it for this application but I will caution that the support underneath poses a long grain to cross grain situation so if you use glue along the length of the support and lock them it is almost guaranteed to crack. Same principle as a table apron.

Does that make sense?

Jamie Buxton
12-22-2008, 8:18 PM
Which way does the grain run in your wide seat? In his rockers, Maloof runs the grain front-to-back. When I've seen wider rockers, the grain runs side-to-side, probably to address the sagging/breakage issue you're talking about. If yours is running front-to-back, I'd put some sort of side-to-side bracing underneath. I'm afraid you'll have to let it show to get it big enough to really help.

Mike Henderson
12-22-2008, 8:20 PM
Which way does the grain run in your wide seat? In his rockers, Maloof runs the grain front-to-back. When I've seen wider rockers, the grain runs side-to-side, probably to address the sagging/breakage issue you're talking about. If yours is running front-to-back, I'd put some sort of side-to-side bracing underneath. I'm afraid you'll have to let it show to get it big enough to really help.
I agree with Jamie - run the grain from side to side instead of front to back. You should have no problems with strength that way.

Mike

Brian Penning
12-22-2008, 9:47 PM
I've seen Maloof's double rocker and others have made similar ones. -never heard of one breaking. I think having some flex is normal.

http://www.craftinamerica.org/artists_wood/pic_23.jpg

Nick Penchuk
12-23-2008, 6:40 PM
I agree that the grain lengthwise would solve the problem, but it's too late. I saw one of the Maloof videos on the WW Channel, and I think that I remember him saying that he had not had any problems with the wide seats. But, that's Maloof. I guess that I will finish the chair, and hope that when the head rail and back slats (they will be glued) are in they will help stiffen the seat. If not I will see what else I can do.

Thanks for the suggestions.

BTW Mike, Sawmill Creek suggests other posts with similar keywords. Your Rocker popped up. Very, very nice! If you haven't finished it yet, Front of the seat at 16.5 or 17 inches has worked pretty well for me.

Paul Atkins
12-23-2008, 9:12 PM
No one will sit in the center I assume. Seems like the weight distribution will be spread out over the whole board not just in the middle where you are pushing down. Set it on two blocks and sit on with two people and see what happens before you glue the thing up. consider that the slats will help a lot. Easier than fixing it later. A little flex will be fun.