PDA

View Full Version : Symbol

Ray Rouleau
12-22-2008, 6:58 PM
What is the significance of the attached ? I really like the graphic and stacked as coasters gives an interesting effect.
Regards
Ray

Ray McAlister
12-23-2008, 8:15 AM
Ok, this drove me nuts..... It's on a lot of temples/pagodas in asia, or at least the older kung fu movies i've seen, After searching last night and this morning i found the following

" Chinese Symbol for Longevity (http://www.whats-your-sign.com/chinese-symbol-for-longevity.html)
We all want long, happy lives. The Chinese symbol for longevity can enforce our affirmation for attaining our best life." the link is here http://symbolic-meanings.com/2007/11/01/chinese-symbols-common-five-asian-attributes/

It is also called a shou.

Ray

Darren Null
12-23-2008, 8:33 AM
Cool. I couldn't think of a way of typing that into Google. Also on the same site:

Five Fortunes Surround Longevity:
Five bats grouped together create the extremely auspicious and popular motif of the "five good fortunes." These five good fortunes are: Wealth, Health, Longevity, Love, and Virtue. Red bats are especially lucky omen because red is believed to be the color that wards off evil. The embroidered bat motif around the symbol of longevity is a hugely powerful symbol.
So in red with 5 red bats round it for bonus points. I'm going out for a Chinese tomorrow...I'll try it out on them.

Looking at the curious.cdr again, the middle is different. Any ideas?

Dee Gallo
12-23-2008, 9:34 PM
Just for general interest, this symbol varies a lot, as in these examples, but you will always see the maze-like mirrored design on the top and bottom. The middles change from very simple to complex. It also changes shape from round to oblong, but the round is most common.

art baylor
12-23-2008, 10:38 PM
Ray can you re-post that in ver. 9 or so?

Thanks,

Art

Don Gares
12-23-2008, 11:45 PM
Here you go Art.

Don

Darren Null
12-24-2008, 9:35 AM
Thanks for the clarification Dee...I'm always nervous of a language where a falling or rising tone at the end changes the whole word. I worry that instead of happy wishes, I'm transcribing a massively abusive yo momma joke or something of that ilk.

Attached is the image with bats silhouettes. In version 9. No point in just wishing longlevity when you can have 5 fortunes for the same money.