PDA

View Full Version : HF with finial lid

Jeff Nicol
12-22-2008, 6:37 PM
Here is my latest creation, it is made from red oak, lacewood and lignum vitae for the finial. I finished with antique oil and some wipe on poly then buffed out a little. I put some gold leaf paint arond the bottom bead and under the cone on top.

Thanks for looking!

Jeff

Tony De Masi
12-22-2008, 6:39 PM
Very nicely done. One day I will attempt those kinds of pieces and hope I have that kind of success.

Tony

David Walser
12-22-2008, 6:41 PM
Jeff,

I think the two woods compliment each other nicely. The HF + finial has a very pleasing shape. Wish I could see it in person.

What would you estimate is the size of the piece?

Jeff Nicol
12-22-2008, 6:58 PM
It is just over 6" wide at the widest and about 8" to the top of the finial. It is turned to about 3/16" thick with the lid about 2 1/2" across. I always measure and record all the info on the turnings in a small notebook but today being in a hurry I forgot to! It was -12 degrees this morning with about a -40 wind chill so I wanted to stay warm!

Thanks for the kind words!!

Jeff

Dewey Torres
12-22-2008, 7:01 PM
Jeff,
You Bernie and others have been the project masters. It is truly unreal how many project the turners are able to crank out.

I hope you all will embrace me when I set up to learn the craft. Big fan as you may already know.

Jim Kountz
12-22-2008, 8:19 PM
I really like it alot! Was that lignum vitae hard as nails??

Steve Schlumpf
12-22-2008, 9:41 PM
Nice hollow form Jeff! Great form and finish! Interesting color combination of woods!

Know what you mean about wind chills and staying warm! That time of year I guess!!

David Christopher
12-22-2008, 9:46 PM
Very nice work, I would like to try to make one when I grow up

Bernie Weishapl
12-22-2008, 10:40 PM
Beautiful piece Jeff. The wood combo's look great as does the form. Very well done.

Jeff Nicol
12-22-2008, 11:17 PM
Thanks for liking this little gem. It is the first larger turning I have done like it. I have made lots of mini's like it so not to different.

The lignam vitae was very nice to turn! It is dense and very oily so it cuts very cleanly.

Steve, I bet the U.P. is also an icebox! Want to get up to Gogebic for some perch through the ice but never get it done!

I wish I could do more but I have to sleep sometime!

Thanks again!

Jeff